California College of the Arts

California College of the Arts Employee Reviews

Working at CCA
This company provides a very casual yet serious environment. I always enjoyed coming to work here has it is a collaborative and creative space. Overall I really enjoyed my time working here.
Fantastic, Student Socused and Creative Work Culture
CCA feels like an art school should feel. Even in the administrative back offices, the mission focus is very clear. Regardless of your role there, whether it's finance, information technology or human resources, the ultimate goal is to create and support an amazing education experience that allows students to thrive creatively and succeed in their academic pursuits. While the infrastructure might have felt a little duct-taped together in areas, the phenomenal vision and dedication of our staff to the greater mission was never in question. I've always felt empowered to explore new avenues to succeed in my job function.
Nice People
I learned a lot in systems and I was able to create processes and procedures. My only concern is that I have not had a raise for 2 years now. Culture here at CCA is great! Work life balance and friendly environment.
fun to work with new students
Helping students to design and produce art works. In the meanwhile, I learned those jewelry skills once again when I helped the students. Overall, it was a nice experience.
review summary
collaborative, supportive, deeply cares about art education.
good management, organized curriculum, good feedback, dedicated students

clear grading criteria
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great place to work and study
I have only had great people to work with in my 5 years at CCA. As a teacher and an Alum I spent my hard earned money attending school here and love my colleagues.
Pros
Great people and international students
Cons
Sometimes at the mercy of the students
Fun easy going place
-The staff at the time was very helpful and attentive
-I loved working with students and guiding them

-Being in a leadership role was very fulfilling and enjoyable

-I learned how to communicate with students as well as how to solve intense problems immediately
work culture ethics
Excellent work environment
Learning experience was great

Management is good

work ethics are really good

had the opportunity to explore budgeting an planning
Pros
learning
Fun and Greaftul for the Experince
Learning to operate, clean, and do minor repairs to wood cutting machinery was something I never thought I would do, let alone teach other students how to use them safely and help bring their images to life. This job was challenging but worth all of the back pain and saw dust.
Pros
Fun, Creativley challenging, rewarding
Cons
Pay was not enough to live in the Bay Area
Under-resourced, but I love my team
CCA is a non-profit, so there's never enough money and salaries are not competitive with for-profit companies in the Bay Area. That said, I love everyone I work with and I love my team. I work long hours because I'm a manager, but the people who report to me seem to enjoy great work/life balance and generally seem happy about coming to work every day. It's an inspiring and productive place to be, and I'd recommend it to anyone who works hard and is mission-driven.
Pros
Inspiring work, Great benefits, relatively decent pay
Cons
Managers work long hours; Not enough $ to increase headcount or budgets
Helpdesk Coordinator/Educational Technology Services
My workstudy experience at CCA was great, in the variety of positions I held. This staff position, held while I was in the MFA program, was terrible in comparison. Overworked and underpaid, disorganized/non-existent organizational structure in ETS and other departments across the campus that made the Helpdesk the secretary campus-wide; too much work done by and my workstudies that really did not fall under our job description. Little opportunity for advancement and overall a waste of time given the commute to the city and just waiting for tickets/call to come in. I did my best to reorganize and better the Helpdesk as a temp and full-time staff in the position and I am happy to have seen the changes happen, but never included/allowed to make the ETS experience for students and faculty better. The administrative departments rarely take the most important people at this college, students and faculty, into consideration and I was tired of being unable to fix their experiences had across the campus, through lack of individual power and support.
Great co-workers
The job was very easy to learn and fast paced to keep your day busy and informed information from coworkers to help one another out to keep ahead of the job.
Pros
Conversation with coworkers
Cons
Negative information from management
A chill place to work
Relaxed atmosphere surrounding a culture of real artists with day jobs. A little slow, as my position was temporary and was created to help with data entry overflow as the school implemented a new information system. Otherwise totally enjoyable and stable.
Do not work here
Great art programs, but a terrible place to work. The teachers are smart and talented, but very egoistical and demanding. The administration leadership does not care or support its inferiors. They are mean, ruthless, and unprofessional. I have nothing good to say about working at CCA.
Working in CCA is great!
Working at here CCA was a great experience to me, which strongly improved my editing and photography skills. The manager and colleagues were very friendly here, so I felt really happy to work here every working day!
Busy but fun environment with exposure to cutting edge design thinking and fabrication.
I found it very rewarding to work closely with the students, to introduce them to prototyping their designs and orienting them to the safety and function of the shop machines.
Works around my schedule
Great place to work for me as it gives me a mental break from my everyday design consulting work. I really enjoy teaching also as the students provide me with much needed creative energy.
Pros
Teaching classes around my schedule.
Cons
Not enough classes
Leadership disengaged.
Organization leadership focused on a perception of innovation rather than actual agility. Hires subject matter experts to assess, guide and design progress but then refuses to engage in the results. Complete disconnect between the upper level management and the middle managers and line staff. Low salary scale is blamed for the high turnover but most staff do not consider salary as the driving force for retention.
Pros
Incredibly talented students and staff.
Cons
Leadership disconnect.
Mostly a learning experience
I currently hold a work-study here thus, the compensation is very low due to the small amount of hours I am allowed to work along with the minimum salary provided to students.
Terrible pay, terrible managment; awesome faculty, inspired alumni community
Overworking, abusive management for far-below-average salary. New management has created a hostile environment based on business goals as opposed to student success.
Pros
inspired faculty and students
Cons
long hours, low pay, abusive management
excellent training
Excellent population to work with and terrific trainings at the counseling center. Management is proactive and run a tight ship. Open communication culture.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at California College of the Arts. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
California College of the Arts Reviews by Location