California Correctional Health Care Services

California Correctional Health Care Services Employee Reviews

The worst job I have ever had and don’t recommend for anything!
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  SN Luis Obisp, CAOctober 11, 2018
This was the worst job of my life. California’s Men’s Colony: since day one there were many flaws. HR never confirmed pay rate said to discuss with personal. Personal said they don’t handle pay. So that was flaw #1 I got screwed over with pay rate, less than my previous job and for the type of invironment not worth it! Pay days just completely suck;monthly. Co-workers the worst! Mostly older people who take seniority too seriously and become so lazy! Also no place to eat, they do not offer a break room. Every single person working there are not friendly and just jerks including/ especially management. No one ever had an answer for you, no one to turn to. Glad I’m out!
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Pay/pay dates/ no lunch break/ no lunch area/ coworkers are rude! Manager is a witch.
Poor organization and training
provider (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAAugust 25, 2018
Poor organization and poor planning, very manipulative leadership. The instructions are very confusing, too many managers who are not competent. One person tells you something and next person says something else. It is a very disappointing place to work.
Some stressful days
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Delano, CAJuly 31, 2018
Overall, it was a playground for mental health, and a great learning experience. Clinical supervision was great, and easy to accrue hours towards licensure.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
A few toxic people to ruin the day
Not a Bad Place to Work But No Advancement
Information Technology Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJuly 30, 2018
When I first got hired on, it was under Department of State Hospitals and I worked at the California Medical Facility. There was more of a structure under DSH and room for advancement if you're willing to either commute or relocate to either Napa or Sacramento. Once CDCR took over and we were placed under California Correctional Health Care Services, there was no opportunity to advance unless you promote outside of CCHCS. Plus, they required all these hours to work with strict deadlines without giving us overtime or Saturdays to meet those deadlines which decreases our customer rapport.
Pros
Guaranteed 8 hour shift Mon-Fri if you're admin. Great benefits and retirement packages
Cons
No room for advancement. Changes can affect your duties.
Challenging environment
Elk Grove - Nurse Consultant Program Review (NCPR) (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJuly 24, 2018
Employment within CCHCS is challenging but does offer rewards. Work hours are long (I am exempt) and expected to be so. I have learned to be autonomous, and to be a strong problem-solver in this environment.
Skills of current management vary widely with 35 different prisons each permitted to act in a semi-autonomous manner... small fiefdoms. The culture is punitive, with a strong nepotism foundation.

The hardest part of the job is tolerating nepotism and unrealistic goals which were never meant to be met... it's a historical reality in this environment. The best part of the job is working to make the environment better for staff and patients, and being permitted to be creative in solution-seeking.
Pros
Welcomes creative problem-solving.
Cons
Nepotism is a reality of CDCR/CCHCS employment.
Work Life Balance
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 13, 2018
Due to the demanding job of working inside of a correctional facility, this environment requires constant awareness for your own personal safety. The work takes place where there is a no hostage policy. The executive management has high turnover. The working environment is a custody first, then healthcare.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No breaks, working inside of a locked aged facility
Bad Experience that Affect my whole life
Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2018
I used to be a state employee, but after a common mistake for only after working here about 3 months in which one month was orientation (which I admitted) if you work in a SNF or other places that will give you another chance and teach you to be better, they punished me for life (until I'm 71 years old) and they won't rehire me again because of this. And they're excuse is because I was on probation. But they don't even willing to re-train me to be better, just fired me. I'm so disappointed. And been trying to get back but couldn't. I wasted a lot of times and money to go to different interviews in different prisons but they don't ever call me back.
Cons
No forgivess
State Culture with a lot of turn over
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJanuary 3, 2018
CCHCS is a big, big agency so it really depends where you work. Unfortunately, my experience was somewhat difficult as it seems like leadership (particularly mid-level managers) just didn't have leadership skills to create an atmosphere of productivity, collaboration, or trust.
I would start here as a new grad Psych Tech
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 4, 2017
New prison and its still not organized as other institutions. High turnover with PT's and RN's. Great to begin a promotion position but most leave to other facilities. New everything which is a plus.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management/turn over with staff
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Technical Occupational Trainee (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 11, 2017
Great manager, great team, and great HR staff. Opportunities to grow when you take a step forward and ask your manager for available opportunities. Highly recommend.
Awful Executive
Chief Support Executive (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 9, 2017
The CEO and Warden are horrible and it creates a paranoid, stressful culture. The work would be fine except that people spend more time gossiping and undermining each other.
Welcoming team environment with friendly co-workers.
Classification & Pay Analyst (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMarch 10, 2017
Knowledgeable management with flexible work schedules. Close to home and easy commute. Team environment and willing to help employees developed their state career.
Constantly changing opportunities.
Project Manager/Health Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 30, 2016
There are no shortage of opportunities to be impactful within this organization. The work is challenging and make an immediate impact on the surrounding community.
the experience was the best
Communication Associate (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAFebruary 12, 2016
I totally enjoyed my job..my boss..my co-workers! I enjoyed the experience of being able to work on the prison grounds.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No permenant position
Fun working place
Sr. Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAApril 16, 2015
Had fun working in this organization & cooperative higher officials, felt like working in home atmosphere.

Good to work & best place to gain the knowledge
a good place to work
Sr. Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAApril 1, 2015
This is a great opportunity when first getting out of school. It's a good starting wage and good benefits; standard State position wage and benefits. It's also a great opportunity for someone who knows how to work the system. There are many management positions that make better money than what they would find in the private sector.
Fast and Furious, very exciting nursing Jobs.
Supervising Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  All Areas of CaliforniaFebruary 14, 2015
Nursing Jobs means caring, if you are able to complete years or retired in any Correctional Facility serving inmate patients, then it is more than caring.

The pay and benefits are higher than any Civilian, State or Federal Job.

SRN II, CF
Pros
Many Department Choices
Cons
Unpredictable and may become dangerous
A typical day at work
Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 3, 2013
To Work with CCHCS is a typical day at work. the only thing matters that you are completing your work on time.
Constantly changing parameters, very productive, wonderful staff!
Health Record Center Clerk; ROI Department (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 19, 2012
Management is very approachable, flexible and fair. There are many learning opportunities for different tasks, and in different departments. Management is receptive to employees being cross trained on informal basis. Health Record Center has about 700,000 medical record charts; retrieving, returning, drop filing and shifting charts is a physically demanding job. I have learned numerous tasks including: taking, transcribing, and distributing minutes at high level meetings, to QA/QC, and scanning paper records into electronic format, and reviewing, prepping, redacting, and copying medical records for Subpoenas.
Pros
tamales delivered on fridays!
Cons
30 minute lunch, no nearby shopping or restaurants

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Correctional Health Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.

California Correctional Health Care Services Reviews by Location