California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Employee Reviews

Cdcr
Clinical Psychologist (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 14, 2018
A small degree of autonomy is given psychologists at CDCR Men's Colony. There is a great deal of oversight from supervisors, and sometimes it can punitive if paperwork or computer work is not competed within deadlines.

Working with the population of male offenders provided me experiences with difficult patients, at times, but it was those difficulties that enhanced my clinical skills and taught me handle them in neutral and calm fashions.
work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 12, 2018
work to work and work hard to be given more work will others get longer lunches, promotes and fringe benefits. i don't understand it but i show up to work
Pros
close to home
Cons
long days
Stressful place to work
Special Agent (Investigator) (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 30, 2018
CDCR has a large number of convicted felons who often look or opportunities to attack staff, making the job dangerous.
Benefits are good, along with the pay.
Pros
Salary and annual increases
Cons
Can be required to work extra shifts - involuntarily.
Stressful and negative envirorment but good pay and benefits
CSC-Temp (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAOctober 26, 2018
It was a good job for the salary and for the benefits. The main problem is that you forcefully held to work doubles non stop. There were times were I put in 300 plus hours a month. So therefore you real don't get to have a life outside of work. And you cant take the effects of the job home with you or it will ruin your home life. So you have to to balance it out.
Where morale goes to die.
CORRECTIONAL STAFF (Current Employee) –  Susanville, CAOctober 25, 2018
CDCR excels in micro management, and exceedingly increases not only meaningless, but needless redundancy. The pay is great, but if your goal is to get paid and lose your mind - thumbs up!
Horrible place to work!
Physician, Telemedicine (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CA 95758October 21, 2018
The culture there is horrible. As a physician, you work 7-3 without a lunch break and you are micromanaged even though it is a telemedicine job. The commute was the worst. You are isolated in your room. it is a salaried position that pays well and has great benefits but it is not worth the headache of the job. Management is not approachable and does not work with you. They do not help with IT issues.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No break or lunch, bad management
Working at HDSP was a growing experience. I would return in a heartbeat if I were needed there.
Support Service Assistant / Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAOctober 19, 2018
The staff were professional and worked well together while I was working there. I was escorted when I required the service while working with inmates.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
the need for staff support for PTSD
Inmate Clerk
Inmate Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, CAOctober 18, 2018
It was nice to learn how to communicate with staff and officers on the job. Learning computer data entry and keeping records of what’s important. The Camp Operation Office took care of a lot of the inmates moving in and out to CAL FIRE Conservation Camps and it was good to learn the processing of documents that was done.
Pros
Since we’re only inmates it’s only .21 an hour
Cons
Employer took care of us
A tough job but unbeatable pay and benefits
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2018
Its an increasingly demanding job. However the pay is great. The benefits are also unbeatable. The pension, health benefits and leave are awesome. The drawbacks are increased micromanagement. Reduced staffing. With no seniority, you will be working nights, weekends, and holidays.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Overtime
Cons
Mandatory Overtime, Administrators
Terrible place to work
Recreation and Activities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Delano, CAOctober 11, 2018
Terrible place to work - especially as an inmate. The conditions are filthy and the officers are so corrupt that they will place bets on which inmate will with in a knife fight and tend to house transgender inmates with inmates they know will kill them.
Pros
Cons
everything

Want to know more about California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation?

Ask a question
I liked my job.
Office Technician (Typing) (Former Employee) –  Wasco, CAOctober 11, 2018
It was a great job that I enjoyed and appreciated. But when I got hurt on the job I was not able to receive accommodations to be able to obtain a modified position.
Pros
Great Benefits.
Cons
Work a straight eight.
Career Oriented
Correctional Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 9, 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits. Lots of training. Plenty of room for advancement. Once you get hired, there is plenty of opportunities for promotions and salary increases.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Supervision of convicted felons
Overall good place to work
Materials and Stores Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CDCROctober 8, 2018
Can be relaxed, but can also be stressful at times. Favoritism is a major issue from supervisory staff. But that is probably the worst thing I've experienced. Once you get past that it's a good place to work.
Pros
Pay, Vacation, holidays and weekends off
Cons
Favoritism, favoritism, favoritism
Very fast paced
Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 4, 2018
Working 8 to 16 hours a day. Very stressful, not knowing if a riot is going to happen, if someone is going to be beaten up or killed or if your going to be ordered over.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
A lot of stress
Changing Lives
Chemical Dependency and Re-Entry Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 1, 2018
Truly enjoyed working at CDCR. Changing the thought pattern of inmates was truly rewarding. Apart of something life changing, conducted assessments and treatment plans for the client' s in prison.
Pros
Changing Lives
Cons
Location was Vacaville.
Never a dull moment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chowchilla, CASeptember 28, 2018
No two days are the same. You learn a lot about people, groups, and population. Things are interesting. Staff are very professional. Overtime posssibilities.
Pros
Compensation
It’s a career not a job
Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 24, 2018
Great pay and benefits for the amount of work you do. Always watch your surroundings and be safe, making sure have your partners back. All remember “if you can’t do the time, please don’t do the crime.”
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Working environment
Great
Office Technician (Typing) (Current Employee) –  California City, CASeptember 19, 2018
A typical day at work consists of filing, taking phone calls, inputing into the system, and dealing with inmates. We did have to take yearly training to stay in compliance with the state of california
Pros
My supervisor let me work at my own pace
Cons
Great benifits
Great learning experience
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  San Quentin, CASeptember 12, 2018
Processed and posted funds to inmates accounts. Processed payroll for State employees. Worked independently. Supervised inmates. Workplace environment was multicultural. The hardest part of the job was always being on alert as this was a prison facility. The most enjoyable was meeting new people and learning new duties.
Great Environment
Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Quentin, CASeptember 12, 2018
If you want a place that will keep you on your toes and working through the day, this is the place you will definitely find it to be challenging and fun at the same time
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight