California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
69Average

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Employee Reviews

United States720 reviews
Great place
If you are dedicated with a strong work ethic, I recommend CDCR. Great culture and environment. If you want a challenging workplace and great people to work with...consider CDCR.
Good place to work but not for all
As seniority goes so do better options
It’s law enforcement indoors

Ever present high alert environment

Decent pay, but still not enough do to the high cost of housing in Ca

Promotions are available

33 prisons throughout the state
Operating a Forklift while using the RF scanner to properly locate and relocate products
Performing my duties with CDCR was straight forward. I showed up on time, completed my assignments promptly and safely, and maintained a positive work attitude.
Diversity
During my 17 years of employment I've Loved the constant challenges, growth opportunity and the work environment. I can truly say that having the opportunity to work as a civil servant has afforded me a lot of opportunities.
Safe environment
Easy place to work as an RN, skills are not utilized to the full capacity. It is a safe environment and the inmates are respectful. Routine work and not much to be learned.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
excellent benefits
excellent benefits..once you have seniority good days off. Majority of staff get along. if you need a day off just put in for it..seversl different time banks.
Dept of Corrections
Working at the department of corrections is a fulfilling and challenging job with So much room for growth and promotion. Everyday is different as you get to be a police officer and a social worker and sometimes even play the role of the judge and district attorney I love serving and protecting the community
Volunteer Motivational Speaker
I learned a lot about individual behaviors
Management was very supportive of my work

hardest part of the job was that it was only volunteer

most enjoyable part working with those that truly wanted to change their lives
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation?
You can trust inmates more than fellow officers
Never seen so much back stabbing and favoritism to one race is soo bad. one race can get away with all kinds of thing, while another race will git written up, and the other fired.
negative environment however structured and pays well offering great stability
negative environment, workload not as heavy as non correctional places
however has great benefits and retirement. set schedule . paid holidays and vacations. sonority bid jobs and acations
Benefits
Great retirement. Trust your partners be aware of management. If you work hard trust your partners and present yourself daily in a fair and equitable manner you will succeed at this job.
Cdcr evaluation
Cdcr is a good career choice. The department has many ways to promote and the pay and benefits package is very competitive. It also has down sides that effect your personal mental and physical health.
Challenging work/ Not for everyone
The discipline and overall knowledge gained working in this fast pace environment is well worth the danger that comes with working in this specific field.
Correctional Lieutenant
In Service Training Manager. Responsible for all the required minimum training of all staff at the prison. Also responsible for any specialized training for different departments.
Pretty decent place to work. Benefits are good.
A typical day at work is to expect the unexpected. Unplanned situations arise, which require you to adapt. Time management is very important.
The hardest part of the job is working with the several different personality types.
Room to grow
Many positions and hours day to day count and supervision of inmates opportunity for overtime work along side with good officers learn something new each day
You’ll get stuck in prison very difficult to relocate Prison that you’re at usually is far away and it’s usually necessary for you to relocate and mov
Great benefits great paying job, staff is pretty good, supervisors usually suck, in and out of gates X-ray and scanning machines upon all entrances, no cell phones, no tobacco, many many many rules, overall is a good job if you’re ready to relocate and suck it up.
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Cons
Locations
Prison is prison
Not for anyone that is honest, compassionate, competent or inherently caring. It is not a safe place for normal people to work. I will change you for the worse
The job can be good or can be bad, it’s all about your mind set and your partners being on the same page as you.
The job can be good or can be bad, depending on the institution. I found that often time the people with more time in the department are more disgruntled and less likely to help.
Interesting work
Working at the CDCR is challenging but wonderful for newly licensed psychologists who seek experience with a diverse population. The department offers excellent pay and benefits and provides supervision hours for those not yet licensed. A stimulating and fascinating place to work.
I loved working here and miss my corrections family
you have to be willing to work, and you have to be comfortable in this type of environment or don't apply. If you have never worked with mental health or in a corrections environment or scare easily this probably isn't the job for you. If you are looking to gain more skills instead of using the skills you already have this probably isn't the job for you.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.