CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION Employee Reviews

Good Seasonal work
Park Aide(Visitor Services) (Former Employee) –  Friant, CAMarch 23, 2019
Great place to work, little advancement opportunities unless you want to go into Law Enforcement and go to the departments Academy. All other full time are apart of the states
Job exam requirements, you have to pass and exam to even apply. To take the exam you have to qualify, the state doesn't count related experience and in many cases you had to have worked a seasonal version of the job to take the test. The pay averages a little higher than minimum wage.
Pros
Great management
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Ca State Parks
Park Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Crystal Cove, CANovember 28, 2018
Very enjoyable place to work. learned about law enforcement, natural habitats of california and ocean ecosystems.The hours are long but not a stressful place to work. In fact there are many opportunities to learn.
Best Job Ever
Seasonal LG 1 (Current Employee) –  Goleta, CAOctober 9, 2018
Who doesn’t want to lifeguard some of California’s most pristine coast with the greatest group of men and women I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with.
So-So job
Park Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 7, 2018
Started at the bottom by cleaning extremely nasty restrooms. Glad it was a temporary job but I enjoyed working outdoors. The staff was nice, though, which made it bearable.
Fun place to work
Seasonal Lifeguard I (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 30, 2018
This workplace demands mental acuity and independent work styles. Blending safety and service, California Parks and Rec pull the best qualities out of their employees and help keep one of the most dangerous stretches of beach in the world safe.
Great Place to work if you love the outdoors and need a little extra spending money
Park Aide (Current Employee) –  Auburn, CAMarch 5, 2018
My position is a seasonal position and with that comes lack of advancement and no benefits. The position is also not very well paid. The outdoor work environment and the opportunity to work for state parks is wonderful.
Pros
outdoor work, great team
Cons
poor salary, no benefits
Flexible, Ocean view.
Court Liaison (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 18, 2016
The tough part of the job has been learning the backend of State Park Law Enforcement. This includes the process of filing criminal and vehicle reports with the DA's office and the DMV.
Pros
Working at the beach, meeting tourists.
Cons
Learning law enforcement codes.
Great place for a legal intership
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 6, 2015
I interned here for a semester. The staff was very nice and helpful. Was able to visit a state park as a "field trip" relating to legal issue. Very interesting legal issues to research.
state agency
Intern - Investigator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2014
typical state agency

i was an intern, so wasnt too much fun
my duties were to find common causes of firearms discharge
most of the people were very nice
Best place to work for a professional with many skills
Engineering Aid (Current Employee) –  One Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA, 95824February 11, 2014
I found, working for CA Department of Parks & Recreation, a mature team of professionals and I fit right in. The diversity of work, mostly using latest software technologies makes the daily challenges easier to tackle, the optimism and encouragement received from my colleagues are precious to me. The management support the initiative and the hard work of the team. This year we are going to celebrate 150 of existence, as state parks in California. I am really proud to be part of this magnificent team of professionals with high standards of efficiency.
Pros
Very close to home
Cons
Expensive parking at One Capitol Mall
Cultural Resource Management Office
Archaeological Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CaliforniaDecember 12, 2013
I like this job because my tasks were so varied. In a typical month, I would perform land survey, lab management, excavation, archaeological monitoring, inter-departmental meetings and project coordination, Southern California travel, cataloging, file and record maintenance, and basic office work. It allowed me to be the independent worker, the self-motivated multi-tasker that I am.
Broken System
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Morro Bay, CAAugust 26, 2013
I was a seasonal employee for the California State Park Service.

Running a campground is rife with boredom and excitement. One day you are busy all day and the next day there is no shortage of nothing to do. The basic day to day activity is similar to running the front desk of a hotel, except this hotel is outdoors. Try to imagine running a front desk of a hotel with 150 rooms, 2 housekeepers, one manager (who is never present), and 1 maintenance employee. You also have several hundred visitors a day that want to stay there.

That is the how it is running a State Park Campground.

The people are amazing though. Offering fantastic customer service to hundreds of park visitors a day is a very gratifying and humbling experience. All for the good of your fellow people.
Pros
Beautiful place to work.
Cons
Terrible compensation and job security.
Pretty Great System, but Strapped for Cash
Park Aide (Former Employee) –  Angel IslandSeptember 14, 2012
I loved working for the CA State Parks but unfortunately, like so much of California, they just did not have the money to keep me employed.
Pros
great sites, public is fantastic, smiling kids worth waking up for each day, et.c
Cons
extremely limited budget, little job security, etc.
fun place to work
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Perris, CASeptember 10, 2012
lifeguards are top notch. highly trained employees with training options
Working for the parks is a great way to get connected to the outdoors
Park Aide (Current Employee) –  CAAugust 3, 2012
Work is great as long as you like working with the people you work with.
fun, productive, feels like you are making a difference
Senior Maintenance Aid (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJune 13, 2012
My superiors were more than happy to teach me new things and wanted me to get as much out of the temporary position as I could.