California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

It depends on the lab
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 13, 2018
If you end up in a great lab with great people you will love the job even with the low pay. My lab was good at first but then it changed a lot. My lab's dynamics were changing in a way that pushed me towards work I had no interest in. The work I did enjoy became minimal. Thankfully this was a temporary job.
Pros
A few good people
Cons
Low compensation
Caltech is a wonderful place to work
Lead Buyer/Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Caltech is a wonderful place to work.
My management is the best.
The Caltech Campus is beautiful.
The people are smart and lovely.
The food is delicious.
Cut-throat
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 23, 2017
This place will do anything for advancement because literally everyone thinks they are going to win a Nobel Prize. Granted, there are a great number of Nobel Prize winners here, but at what cost?
Great atmosphere, but very stressful environment
Senior Division/Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 17, 2017
Higher education can be very rewarding if your lucky enough to support faculty, students and fellow workers in a great area. I was lucky my first 4 years. I didn't have such luck after transferring out of the academic side to business. It was very hard to work with management and what I learned after this experience was to communicate directly with your supervisor and get to know that person. Let them know your situation and be straight forward.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Supervisors not helpful
Great place to work as a stepping stone
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 17, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Caltech, although as a researcher it is always an temporary step before moving on to something else.

Fast-paced environment, but lots of great people.
Poor management
Security Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 15, 2017
Poor management and it showed because my boss got fired two months later.

All departments are different but fun to work at. Security department was a joke and lacked real managers and tools to get the job done.

Training was a joke but looked good on paper.
Awful management, the illusion of prestige
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 30, 2017
If you are one of the favored individuals you are guaranteed a good experience and advancement but if you expect to be recognized for collaboration and hard work that won't be enough to make the cut. The daily work is mundane and some of my co-workers are lazy and apathetic. There are some nice people to work with and some groups overworked while some buyers spend all day socializing and watching YouTube videos. The department director turns a blind eye and allows her friends to get away with whatever they want to do. CalTech seems to be a prestigious place to work but that is only if you end up landing in the right department. Actual experiences vary from department to department. They don't reinvest in the administrative side and their systems and operations are antiqated. Overall the school is in the dark ages with a high opinion of themselves and they don't know the world is passing them by.
Pros
Good benefits, nice campus, coffee shop on campus, in beautiful Pasadena
Cons
Low morale, no recognition, nepotism, no bonuses, raises are low if at all, snob factor
Caltech is the best place to work.
Gift and Biological Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 6, 2017
Caltech is an amazing place to work. I worked there for over 27 years and seriously the time flew. On any given day something new and exciting happens. The people are soo interesting and real. It was truly and honor to work for such a awesome University.
Pros
Beautiful Work invironment
Cons
I can't think of any
fantastic and fun!
Postdoctoral Scholar/Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 18, 2017
Get in by 8 work until 10 M-F. Protein chromatography, crystallography, analytical ultracentrifugation, isothermal titration calorimetry, surface plasmon resonance assay, tissue culture, molecular biology, etc. Management was best I've ever experienced. Workplace was fun and energetic. Hardest part was leaving the lab, best part was finishing projects in excess of management expectations.
Pros
great management and infrastructure for doing lab work
Cons
spoils you for anywhere else
Cool place to work.
editor/social media coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 3, 2017
This place is amazing in and of itself, and one takes pride in being a part of it. I really like working here. People are helpful. The job is very rewarding.
the most amazing place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  1200 E California Blvd pasadena california 91125May 11, 2017
It was a very good experience to work for Caltech, Very good school, that gave me the oppotunity to learn many things,great invironment to work, it was amazing
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Good insurances
Great place to begin learning animal husbandry.
Research Support Associate (Cage Wash) (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 26, 2017
Work days are always busy, and it requires efficiency. I have learned the basics of animal husbandry, and a stronger sense of communication with my supervisors. Management, is flexible with employees and needs, and is executed well. Supervisors are always open to review equipment issues, answer emails and calls effectively. Workplace culture is efficient and time adjusted. Hardest parts of the job, would be constantly removing chemical stains, and maintaining old equipment running. The most enjoyable part of the job would be small events such as speakers, and easy going co-workers.
Pros
Critter cash, and flexibility with days needed for vacation etc. Encouragement for a continued education.
Cons
N/a
Wonderful place to work
Post Doc (Former Employee) –  Pasadena CaliforniaApril 26, 2017
Caltech is a great place to be if you are a scientist or engineer. Especially if you are a post doc as I was. I can't say much about what it would be like to be faculty but if you can be a post doc or student at Caltech your should take the opportunity.
Pros
Fantastic academic environment
Cons
Supervisor support is sometimes weak.
Caltech
Security Technical Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 5, 2017
Work hard, dealing with elitist mentalities . overwork you. Wage discrimination between men and woman employees. No support from management. I'm leaving as soon I can find another job.
Excellent Institution
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 14, 2017
Days varied, people were involved and eager to work on projects.
The work kept you on your feet. Constantly learning and growing.
The pace was fast.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
45 minute lunch
Meeting proactivity
Travel Specialist - Procurement Services (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 9, 2017
Meeting proactivity is a typical work day. Friendly staff. Management is all new now. Old staff was wonderful from the top to the bottom. Enjoyed two year management program which I completed with all "A's".
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 2, 2017
I enjoyed my 10 plus years at Caltech. It's a great place to work, great benefits, pretty campus and close to many great eating locations.
Cons
210 traffic if you're coming in from Upland.
Good work environment for someone that is developing
Senior IT Auditor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 3, 2016
Good work environment for a developing individual, but few opportunities for career advancement. Overall, learned how various environments operated and have been able to interact with great people that are making strides on advancing the world. Learned how to communicate with different levels of personnel.
This is a great company to work for
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with through out the campus. Everyday I learn something new and new process to implement into our opeations. A typical day at work for me is managing many aspects of operations from creating PO for hundreds of thousand of dollars down to calling facilities for cleaning up space.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not easy to move within the organization
Really enjoyed my time at Caltech.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 6, 2016
Great place to work. Challenging and fun. Lots of team work. They can really use more employees to help with all of the work.