California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Fantastic place
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 15, 2018
It was an honor to be in the presence of the top caliber scientists from around the world. The religion at Caltech is excellence in science.I learned so much in a short year.
What I learned working at Caltech
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 1, 2018
Working at Caltech has given me the management experience to move to the next level in my career. I have learned computer, people, skills that we be valuable at the next level for me.
Safe Place
Procurement Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 22, 2018
Nothing pretty much changed, you did the same thing over and over. People were great, but job can become a little boring sometimes as nothing ever changes.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
9-5 everyday no change
Excelente instituciĆ³n
Scientific staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 3, 2018
Una de mis mejores experiencias de vida, todo una privilegio haber estado en esta instituciĆ³n
Relaxed interesting environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 2, 2018
Great work environment, the benefits are amazing. The culture is very relaxed and enjoyable. There is no micro managing and you typically work at your own pace.
It an ok place to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 9, 2018
Everyday is a new day its never the same. It can be a slow day or a busy day. Everyday I leaned a new code. Management is all about politics. Culture the school has everything. Coworkers being a team. Meeting new people from different countries.
Pros
uniforms are payed
Cons
I don't take my 2 minute brakes and we have to clock out for our 30 minute lunch.
Work in Progress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 4, 2018
The work place culture is in transition for staff. Due to many employees on leave, there is a current work shortage and much work to be done causing hard work and many long days. The benefits are excellent! The front-line employees are great and loyal. There are many, many changes in management right now.
Pros
Great front line employees, healthcare
Community
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 27, 2018
A great place to work. Full of innovation and technology. Like it's own little city. Environment is pleasant inside and out. There is a campus culture.
An excellent work environment
Data Processing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
A very stimulating to work with the personnel of CalTech. My superiors were very easy to work with and with my colleagues.
Worked directly with department heads to gather information for a new application, modify existing applications.
Pros
Cafeteria on campus, great people to work with etc.
Where you met the best brains in a relaxed setting
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 7, 2018
This is a place you go without regret on your resume. Of course you are who you are but a good bullet point will make your resume shine. Be there and done that, see the best brain on top, you will know most others are below the mountain top, you see all the view.
Pros
create your own stuffs with a proposal and just do it
Cons
not for money
great collaborative work space
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Small campus, with lots of opportunities for relaxed chat with researchers from other departments. The benefit packages are good, child care can be a headache unless you're faculty, the cafeteria is good, and the Ath is super fancy.
The students are well prepared and motivated, which makes for rewarding and interesting experiences teaching.
Pros
cutting edge research facilities and top researchers
Cons
some labs have a very competitive (unhealthy) culture, get to know the people before hand
It depends on the lab
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 13, 2018
If you end up in a great lab with great people you will love the job even with the low pay. My lab was good at first but then it changed a lot. My lab's dynamics were changing in a way that pushed me towards work I had no interest in. The work I did enjoy became minimal. Thankfully this was a temporary job.
Pros
A few good people
Cons
Low compensation
Caltech is a wonderful place to work
Lead Buyer/Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Caltech is a wonderful place to work.
My management is the best.
The Caltech Campus is beautiful.
The people are smart and lovely.
The food is delicious.
Fun and independent working environment
Senior Inspector/Deputy Fire Marshal (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 2, 2018
I appreciate this job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission. This truly creates a family environment where everybody is there for each other. I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. I also love the people I work with. I like that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job. I work full-time, both in and out-of-office, and my boss trusts me to produce high quality work and results. I work hard to maintain that level of trust, which keeps me engaged and excited. I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. The variability of my job is what gets me up in the morning. I know I provide a professional service to the institute and contractors and I am able to contribute my experience and skills
Cut-throat
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 23, 2017
This place will do anything for advancement because literally everyone thinks they are going to win a Nobel Prize. Granted, there are a great number of Nobel Prize winners here, but at what cost?
Great atmosphere, but very stressful environment
Senior Division/Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 17, 2017
Higher education can be very rewarding if your lucky enough to support faculty, students and fellow workers in a great area. I was lucky my first 4 years. I didn't have such luck after transferring out of the academic side to business. It was very hard to work with management and what I learned after this experience was to communicate directly with your supervisor and get to know that person. Let them know your situation and be straight forward.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Supervisors not helpful
Great place to work as a stepping stone
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 17, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Caltech, although as a researcher it is always an temporary step before moving on to something else.

Fast-paced environment, but lots of great people.
Poor management
Security Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 15, 2017
Poor management and it showed because my boss got fired two months later.

All departments are different but fun to work at. Security department was a joke and lacked real managers and tools to get the job done.

Training was a joke but looked good on paper.
Awful management, the illusion of prestige
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 30, 2017
If you are one of the favored individuals you are guaranteed a good experience and advancement but if you expect to be recognized for collaboration and hard work that won't be enough to make the cut. The daily work is mundane and some of my co-workers are lazy and apathetic. There are some nice people to work with and some groups overworked while some buyers spend all day socializing and watching YouTube videos. The department director turns a blind eye and allows her friends to get away with whatever they want to do. CalTech seems to be a prestigious place to work but that is only if you end up landing in the right department. Actual experiences vary from department to department. They don't reinvest in the administrative side and their systems and operations are antiqated. Overall the school is in the dark ages with a high opinion of themselves and they don't know the world is passing them by.
Pros
Good benefits, nice campus, coffee shop on campus, in beautiful Pasadena
Cons
Low morale, no recognition, nepotism, no bonuses, raises are low if at all, snob factor
Caltech is the best place to work.
Gift and Biological Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 6, 2017
Caltech is an amazing place to work. I worked there for over 27 years and seriously the time flew. On any given day something new and exciting happens. The people are soo interesting and real. It was truly and honor to work for such a awesome University.
Pros
Beautiful Work invironment
Cons
I can't think of any