California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

fast past
Team leader whom consistently meet rigid deadlines (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 20, 2018
non stop and a high volume job. They promote from within at up to a certain level which is normally mid management. Proper compensation is something you have to advocate for yourself. Management is inconsistent with their goals
Wonderful place to work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 13, 2018
Great environment, good benefits, lads balace, job security, caring management, gym options, training, tuition requirements, happy place to work, retirement plans
Great place to work!
Lead Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 6, 2018
Actually, I worked for JPL, but reported to the President of Caltech. Great campus, atmosphere. Lots of good science to be involved with. The culture is more of a college campus.
Pros
Flexible work hours, ability to travel
Cons
Strick compliance with government regulations.
Caltech was more than fair to me!
Associate Registrar (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 30, 2018
I had a great career at Caltech for 19 years. The last year a new manager came in and things changed for me. But, it is a great place to work and I would recommend it in a heartbeat!
Cit
Material Science Research Group Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 16, 2018
Working at CIT was fantastic experience, very good management as well as a good culture work environment. A very good work / home culture. Teaching under grads was the most fun
Fantastic place
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 15, 2018
It was an honor to be in the presence of the top caliber scientists from around the world. The religion at Caltech is excellence in science.I learned so much in a short year.
What I learned working at Caltech
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 1, 2018
Working at Caltech has given me the management experience to move to the next level in my career. I have learned computer, people, skills that we be valuable at the next level for me.
Safe Place
Procurement Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 22, 2018
Nothing pretty much changed, you did the same thing over and over. People were great, but job can become a little boring sometimes as nothing ever changes.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
9-5 everyday no change
Excelente instituciĆ³n
Scientific staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 3, 2018
Una de mis mejores experiencias de vida, todo una privilegio haber estado en esta instituciĆ³n
Relaxed interesting environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 2, 2018
Great work environment, the benefits are amazing. The culture is very relaxed and enjoyable. There is no micro managing and you typically work at your own pace.
It an ok place to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 9, 2018
Everyday is a new day its never the same. It can be a slow day or a busy day. Everyday I leaned a new code. Management is all about politics. Culture the school has everything. Coworkers being a team. Meeting new people from different countries.
Pros
uniforms are payed
Cons
I don't take my 2 minute brakes and we have to clock out for our 30 minute lunch.
Work in Progress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 4, 2018
The work place culture is in transition for staff. Due to many employees on leave, there is a current work shortage and much work to be done causing hard work and many long days. The benefits are excellent! The front-line employees are great and loyal. There are many, many changes in management right now.
Pros
Great front line employees, healthcare
Community
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 27, 2018
A great place to work. Full of innovation and technology. Like it's own little city. Environment is pleasant inside and out. There is a campus culture.
An excellent work environment
Data Processing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
A very stimulating to work with the personnel of CalTech. My superiors were very easy to work with and with my colleagues.
Worked directly with department heads to gather information for a new application, modify existing applications.
Pros
Cafeteria on campus, great people to work with etc.
Where you met the best brains in a relaxed setting
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 7, 2018
This is a place you go without regret on your resume. Of course you are who you are but a good bullet point will make your resume shine. Be there and done that, see the best brain on top, you will know most others are below the mountain top, you see all the view.
Pros
create your own stuffs with a proposal and just do it
Cons
not for money
great collaborative work space
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Small campus, with lots of opportunities for relaxed chat with researchers from other departments. The benefit packages are good, child care can be a headache unless you're faculty, the cafeteria is good, and the Ath is super fancy.
The students are well prepared and motivated, which makes for rewarding and interesting experiences teaching.
Pros
cutting edge research facilities and top researchers
Cons
some labs have a very competitive (unhealthy) culture, get to know the people before hand
It depends on the lab
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 13, 2018
If you end up in a great lab with great people you will love the job even with the low pay. My lab was good at first but then it changed a lot. My lab's dynamics were changing in a way that pushed me towards work I had no interest in. The work I did enjoy became minimal. Thankfully this was a temporary job.
Pros
A few good people
Cons
Low compensation
Caltech is a wonderful place to work
Lead Buyer/Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Caltech is a wonderful place to work.
My management is the best.
The Caltech Campus is beautiful.
The people are smart and lovely.
The food is delicious.
Fun and independent working environment
Senior Inspector/Deputy Fire Marshal (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 2, 2018
I appreciate this job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission. This truly creates a family environment where everybody is there for each other. I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. I also love the people I work with. I like that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job. I work full-time, both in and out-of-office, and my boss trusts me to produce high quality work and results. I work hard to maintain that level of trust, which keeps me engaged and excited. I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. The variability of my job is what gets me up in the morning. I know I provide a professional service to the institute and contractors and I am able to contribute my experience and skills
Cut-throat
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 23, 2017
This place will do anything for advancement because literally everyone thinks they are going to win a Nobel Prize. Granted, there are a great number of Nobel Prize winners here, but at what cost?