California Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Staff Experiences Differ
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 16, 2019
From a staff perspective Caltech can be a great place to work if you have a good manager. But if you have a bad one, and there are a number of them on campus, then your experience will not be favorable at this university.

There are a lot of outdated processes and bureaucracy in administration. Considering that this is the institute of technology, their own internal administrative systems are severely lacking. They have a "follow the herd" mentality, following bits and pieces of what other universities do instead of forging new paths and developing new ways of doing things. When they do put some new technology in place, instead of using it to make the overall process easier and more efficient for staff, it instead makes things more difficult and inefficient. The staff is then pressured to perform at the same level as before, even during layoffs, cutbacks and attrition.

If you are fortunate and have a good leader, you can survive and may thrive here. But for many, management is cut throat and out for themselves. They line their own pockets while employees receive a measly two percent raise, and that is if the university even gives you that. There have been some years where no raises have been given to staff at all. Again, this varies depending on the department you work in.

Overall, the organization is very elitist, sexesit and ageist. Favoritism runs rampant here. They claim to be fair but when staff go to human resources they protect the elite administrative management from repercussions of their actions. Most employees are afraid to lose their jobs
  more... by reporting these managers and instead just tolerate the mistreatment because HR will not do anything to resolve the problems.

Overall, if I were giving a friend advice about working here, I would tell them to tread carefully. The university appears to be a great place to work, but when you pull back the curtain, you might be surprised at what you find.
Pros
Beautiful campus, easy commute to Pasadena near restaurants and shops, decent benefits.
Cons
Fee for parking, Human Resources, elitist, sexist, ageist, low pay, poor raises, management
Great place to work but...
Officer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 29, 2019
Needs new management. Great place to work and the college community is awesome. The job is easy, it's not like your typical college. Caltech has the most brightest students in the world. It was great to be part of a university that was doing research to change the world.
Racist
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 11, 2019
As an employee in the facilities department of this instituion, I saw a lot. The manageers did their best to get rid of me because I knew they wrong they did. They were successful in doing so. They also gave overtime to those who were of the same race before they offered me overtime. I became friends with a few individual in different departments and they went through the same thing. The human resources department is no help either, they are all in cahoots.
Pros
Racist, no opportunity for career growth, not helpful
Cons
hour break, free events, access to the gym, benefits
Very produce place for doing great science
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 26, 2018
Very produce place for doing great science. People here are real scientist. I learned a lot and also achieved a lot. It is an important place for my career. I
fast past
Team leader whom consistently meet rigid deadlines (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 20, 2018
non stop and a high volume job. They promote from within at up to a certain level which is normally mid management. Proper compensation is something you have to advocate for yourself. Management is inconsistent with their goals
Wonderful place to work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 13, 2018
Great environment, good benefits, lads balace, job security, caring management, gym options, training, tuition requirements, happy place to work, retirement plans
Great place to work!
Lead Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 6, 2018
Actually, I worked for JPL, but reported to the President of Caltech. Great campus, atmosphere. Lots of good science to be involved with. The culture is more of a college campus.
Pros
Flexible work hours, ability to travel
Cons
Strick compliance with government regulations.
Caltech was more than fair to me!
Associate Registrar (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 30, 2018
I had a great career at Caltech for 19 years. The last year a new manager came in and things changed for me. But, it is a great place to work and I would recommend it in a heartbeat!
Cit
Material Science Research Group Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 16, 2018
Working at CIT was fantastic experience, very good management as well as a good culture work environment. A very good work / home culture. Teaching under grads was the most fun
Fantastic place
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 15, 2018
It was an honor to be in the presence of the top caliber scientists from around the world. The religion at Caltech is excellence in science.I learned so much in a short year.
What I learned working at Caltech
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 1, 2018
Working at Caltech has given me the management experience to move to the next level in my career. I have learned computer, people, skills that we be valuable at the next level for me.
Safe Place
Procurement Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 22, 2018
Nothing pretty much changed, you did the same thing over and over. People were great, but job can become a little boring sometimes as nothing ever changes.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
9-5 everyday no change
Excelente instituciĆ³n
Scientific staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 3, 2018
Una de mis mejores experiencias de vida, todo una privilegio haber estado en esta instituciĆ³n
Relaxed interesting environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 2, 2018
Great work environment, the benefits are amazing. The culture is very relaxed and enjoyable. There is no micro managing and you typically work at your own pace.
It an ok place to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 9, 2018
Everyday is a new day its never the same. It can be a slow day or a busy day. Everyday I leaned a new code. Management is all about politics. Culture the school has everything. Coworkers being a team. Meeting new people from different countries.
Pros
uniforms are payed
Cons
I don't take my 2 minute brakes and we have to clock out for our 30 minute lunch.
Work in Progress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 4, 2018
The work place culture is in transition for staff. Due to many employees on leave, there is a current work shortage and much work to be done causing hard work and many long days. The benefits are excellent! The front-line employees are great and loyal. There are many, many changes in management right now.
Pros
Great front line employees, healthcare
Community
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 27, 2018
A great place to work. Full of innovation and technology. Like it's own little city. Environment is pleasant inside and out. There is a campus culture.
An excellent work environment
Data Processing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
A very stimulating to work with the personnel of CalTech. My superiors were very easy to work with and with my colleagues.
Worked directly with department heads to gather information for a new application, modify existing applications.
Pros
Cafeteria on campus, great people to work with etc.
Where you met the best brains in a relaxed setting
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 7, 2018
This is a place you go without regret on your resume. Of course you are who you are but a good bullet point will make your resume shine. Be there and done that, see the best brain on top, you will know most others are below the mountain top, you see all the view.
Pros
create your own stuffs with a proposal and just do it
Cons
not for money
great collaborative work space
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Small campus, with lots of opportunities for relaxed chat with researchers from other departments. The benefit packages are good, child care can be a headache unless you're faculty, the cafeteria is good, and the Ath is super fancy.
The students are well prepared and motivated, which makes for rewarding and interesting experiences teaching.
Pros
cutting edge research facilities and top researchers
Cons
some labs have a very competitive (unhealthy) culture, get to know the people before hand