California Institute of the Arts Employee Reviews

Work
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 12, 2018
Cal Arts requires patience in dealing with a hierarchy of leadership that seems unstable. In addition, the compensation is meager and there is hardly room for advancement. The staff seems weak and tattered while the leadership in suits have more then they need on their gold plates. The building is draining to be in while the workers and students are wonderful.
Loved the atmosphere not the stress
Security Shift Commander (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAOctober 12, 2018
My position was one of authority and and when dealing with an Institute like CalArts it's sometimes very difficult. There is a huge grey area that my department falls under when it comes to dealing with campus policy and state laws.
Pros
Great benefits and loved and Supervisors
Cons
No back up support for our campus safety department
Productive Place with Flexible Hours
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 3, 2018
The workplace culture was very relaxed at times. Simple straightforward job with simple tasks. Learning the shelving order was easy. Loved working there.
It's Art School
Graduate Writing Arts Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CADecember 17, 2018
As a student/teacher, they are only allowed to give you X amount of hours, but I feel like you put in way more hours with the lesson plan and helping students outside of the classroom.
Admin Assist.
Administrative Assistant to Dean, Library Division (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMarch 16, 2018
CalArts is a creative place to work with people who care about culture, politics and the creative arts. I learned a great deal about working in a higher academic environment. I grew in the position by jumping in and tackling duties I did not know I was capable of being proficient in.
Lovely Job w/No Advancement
Adjunct Faculty Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2018
People have been working for this company for 30 years and are still only offered part-time, contract employment. It is not a secure, well-rewarded program for loyal individuals and I would appreciate it if this were acknowledged and addressed in the coming years.
A fast paced work environment
Development Information Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 10, 2017
CalArts is an ever changing environment with new students and new programs year round. Fundraising here, like all other higher education institutions, is always revolving from one project to the next with multiple deadlines on an ongoing basis. Though this can be stressful at times and it also very rewarding because of the tremendous financial aid it helps provide to the students.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Very demanding at times
Good work invironment with nice people.
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 4, 2014
I enjoy my work and have nice co-workers. On a typical day, I do a variety of gardening and grounds keeping duties. I have been employed at Cal Arts for 8 years. For 10 years prior to this job, I worked in shipping and receiving. I can also operate a forklift. The thing I like the least is the fact that my co-workers and I went 5 years without a pay increase. The thing I like the most is a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day and building relationships with co-workers. I do a variety of duties so I've picked up a lot of additional skills. The management handles situations adequately. The hardest part of my job was going that 5 years without a pay increase in order to keep up with the cost of living.
Pros
2 weeks paid vacation for christmas
Cons
5 years without pay increase
Creativity abounds at Cal-Arts
Screenplay and film directing Insructor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CADecember 4, 2017
A fun environment with incredibly bright and enthusiastic students who want to learn. I enjoyed seeing their eyes light up when they got a particular film concept.
Pros
Students are ready to grasp the craft of filmmaking.
Cons
Only Con for me was I wanted to be there more.
Exciting and fun work environment
Piano Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2017
A typical day included working with students through Plaza de la Raza. The hardest part of the job was learning how each student clicked. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was always getting excited together about the music and the students walking away with valuable information and a lasting relationship that made a positive difference in each of their lives.
Working my way through college
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 13, 2017
Working as the front desk receptionist really didn't do much for me. I got to learn all the departments at my college, and meet everyone, but I only worked around 10 hours a week and the job did not interest me too much. It was just to put a little extra money in my pocket before I left school everyday.
Great people, fun to work at.
Database Analyst (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 14, 2015
A very fun and changing place to work. You are surrounded by talented students from different school of Arts. Every day a different school is exhibiting a different performance.
Pros
Great place to work with very talented students.
Cons
Limit advancement.
On going constructive work place
Theater Technician (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAOctober 13, 2015
Fast paced. stern. friendly - artsy. Hardest part is heights...hanging lights. management is very nice and funny. you get to explore and use your inner imagination.
Pros
free lunces. long breaks
Teach in a art and design
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAMay 29, 2017
Twice a week class, I assisted the professor of fourth-year graphic design students while they worked on their final projects. I was responsable of the creative weekly updates of the class projects.
Pros
Free creative process, artistic conversations, teaching expirience
Never a dull moment.
Assistant Housing Director (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 15, 2012
A typical day at work was never anything resembling typical. The morning's information would inform the day, There would always be the project on the desk, but as the students would come in, the day would progress accordingly. In the summer, with fewer students, the days would revolve around renovation. They were more predictable, but the challenge would be how much could be accomplished and tracked during a day. For the most part, co-workers would work with me as a team. We would all follow the same script. The hardest part of the job was attempting to work with other departments and trying to get through communication problems. I learned a tremendous amount: billing, relational databases, computers.The most enjoyable aspects were sometimes the most challenging: being asked by an autistic young adult seeing literature in the office, what is date r*pe? in front of his father. The challenge to answer honestly, truthfully in language he could understand without backing away from uncomfortable content. Those were the big payoffs.
Pros
flexibility and the ability to work a project to completion.
Cons
i wanted to be more involved with the more artistic side of students.
CalArts is a fun and wild place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 11, 2017
Teaching assisting at California Institute of the Arts was a true learning experience. Helping students through the steps of 16mm film producing, from shooting to editing, was an exciting and educational experience.
CalArts Employee Review
Dance Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 30, 2017
As a student, CalArts on campus jobs are always in surplus. It is a phenomenal environment to work in. You get to meet all sorts of people when you are on the clock- calarts community members, alumni, and even people from the Valencia area.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 18, 2017
Helped grade and critique work and cover the class when the professor had to step out. Answer any question students had with a project. Helped out solving technical issues with the computer or programs
This is a great institution to work for.
Portfolio Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 21, 2013
Working in the Admissions department at CalArts is fast paced work that requires one to be focused. As the portfolios come in, one must file them properly and log all the information systematically - to avoid losing people's valuable artwork.
Pros
Working with a friendly staff
Cons
It's seasonal work
Loved giving back to students learning animation
Animation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 29, 2014
I enjoyed teaching at CalArts as it is my Alma Mater. I lover trying to come up with ways to inspire students to get the magic in their character's performance.
Pros
Interacting with students
Cons
longer days as a second job