California Institute of the Arts Employee Reviews

Lovely Job w/No Advancement
Adjunct Faculty Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2018
People have been working for this company for 30 years and are still only offered part-time, contract employment. It is not a secure, well-rewarded program for loyal individuals and I would appreciate it if this were acknowledged and addressed in the coming years.
Admin Assist.
Administrative Assistant to Dean, Library Division (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMarch 16, 2018
CalArts is a creative place to work with people who care about culture, politics and the creative arts. I learned a great deal about working in a higher academic environment. I grew in the position by jumping in and tackling duties I did not know I was capable of being proficient in.
Creativity abounds at Cal-Arts
Screenplay and film directing Insructor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CADecember 4, 2017
A fun environment with incredibly bright and enthusiastic students who want to learn. I enjoyed seeing their eyes light up when they got a particular film concept.
Pros
Students are ready to grasp the craft of filmmaking.
Cons
Only Con for me was I wanted to be there more.
A fast paced work environment
Development Information Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 10, 2017
CalArts is an ever changing environment with new students and new programs year round. Fundraising here, like all other higher education institutions, is always revolving from one project to the next with multiple deadlines on an ongoing basis. Though this can be stressful at times and it also very rewarding because of the tremendous financial aid it helps provide to the students.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Very demanding at times
Working my way through college
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 13, 2017
Working as the front desk receptionist really didn't do much for me. I got to learn all the departments at my college, and meet everyone, but I only worked around 10 hours a week and the job did not interest me too much. It was just to put a little extra money in my pocket before I left school everyday.
Exciting and fun work environment
Piano Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2017
A typical day included working with students through Plaza de la Raza. The hardest part of the job was learning how each student clicked. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was always getting excited together about the music and the students walking away with valuable information and a lasting relationship that made a positive difference in each of their lives.
CalArts is a fun and wild place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 11, 2017
Teaching assisting at California Institute of the Arts was a true learning experience. Helping students through the steps of 16mm film producing, from shooting to editing, was an exciting and educational experience.
Teach in a art and design
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAMay 29, 2017
Twice a week class, I assisted the professor of fourth-year graphic design students while they worked on their final projects. I was responsable of the creative weekly updates of the class projects.
Pros
Free creative process, artistic conversations, teaching expirience
CalArts Employee Review
Dance Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 30, 2017
As a student, CalArts on campus jobs are always in surplus. It is a phenomenal environment to work in. You get to meet all sorts of people when you are on the clock- calarts community members, alumni, and even people from the Valencia area.
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 18, 2017
Helped grade and critique work and cover the class when the professor had to step out. Answer any question students had with a project. Helped out solving technical issues with the computer or programs
Great place to work for students.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 23, 2016
Great place for students to work on campus. Office is great and has amazing staff. Had the chance to learn skills that are beneficial outside of the office.
On going constructive work place
Theater Technician (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAOctober 13, 2015
Fast paced. stern. friendly - artsy. Hardest part is heights...hanging lights. management is very nice and funny. you get to explore and use your inner imagination.
Pros
free lunces. long breaks
Great people, fun to work at.
Database Analyst (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 14, 2015
A very fun and changing place to work. You are surrounded by talented students from different school of Arts. Every day a different school is exhibiting a different performance.
Pros
Great place to work with very talented students.
Cons
Limit advancement.
Great time for Individual artistic growth
Voice and Speech Teacher (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAOctober 9, 2014
You can have it all from here. Great for wannabe animators, and Actors can learn a lot too as long as they stay on their own discipline.
Good work invironment with nice people.
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 4, 2014
I enjoy my work and have nice co-workers. On a typical day, I do a variety of gardening and grounds keeping duties. I have been employed at Cal Arts for 8 years. For 10 years prior to this job, I worked in shipping and receiving. I can also operate a forklift. The thing I like the least is the fact that my co-workers and I went 5 years without a pay increase. The thing I like the most is a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day and building relationships with co-workers. I do a variety of duties so I've picked up a lot of additional skills. The management handles situations adequately. The hardest part of my job was going that 5 years without a pay increase in order to keep up with the cost of living.
Pros
2 weeks paid vacation for christmas
Cons
5 years without pay increase
Loved giving back to students learning animation
Animation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 29, 2014
I enjoyed teaching at CalArts as it is my Alma Mater. I lover trying to come up with ways to inspire students to get the magic in their character's performance.
Pros
Interacting with students
Cons
longer days as a second job
productive, fun and energetic
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  californiaAugust 22, 2014
Teaching darkroom skills, teaching basic color and photography theory, facilitating students discussions, teaching them how to appreciate their work and others work
Great Place To Work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 27, 2014
It was great while it lasted. The work was very rewarding and I was glad to have taken part in it.
Great Learning Opportunity
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 11, 2014
I had a chance to get closer to my professor and discuss important topics that contribute to my overall education at CalArts.
This is a great institution to work for.
Portfolio Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 21, 2013
Working in the Admissions department at CalArts is fast paced work that requires one to be focused. As the portfolios come in, one must file them properly and log all the information systematically - to avoid losing people's valuable artwork.
Pros
Working with a friendly staff
Cons
It's seasonal work