California Pizza Kitchen Employee Reviews

it was fun while it lasted
Host (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 6, 2018
I only worked there for a few months and had problems from the beginning. I did like the people I worked with but the management wasn't the best. always had issues with me going to school versus working for them.
Good People, Stressful Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond Heights, MONovember 5, 2018
Working at CPK was one of the most stressful jobs I have ever had. We were severely understaffed and I usually did the job of 2-3 hosts. It was very difficult running around and trying to coordinate the front of house, clean the bathrooms, and expo all at once.

While the staff was in general quite friendly, there was quite a lot of drama between people. In the short time I worked there, we went through numerous dishwashers, which in turn added stress to everyone else.

Management was kind, but also sort of lax in some regards. Most of the time I "ran" front of house, when it should have been the front of house manager's job. I don't entirely blame them, however, as they were typically trying to fill in other slots where we were short-staffed.

My favorite aspect of working there was a day when we had a birthday party come in, and I was being friendly with them, joking around, and projecting an overall welcoming atmosphere. It was relatively slow, so I was able to give them a bit more attention (it was a birthday party, the servers needed a bit of help). Closer to the end of their visit, they called me over and gave me a slice of birthday cake. I was so happy that I started crying and thanking them. That's an experience I'll never forget.

Overall, working at CPK was a stressful experience. If nothing else, it has given me a healthy respect for the food service industry.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Short breaks, no free lunch/dinner, understaffed
good place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 4, 2018
i enjoyed my time with cpk, they really took care of me during my time there, and i had one of the best bosses i could have asked for given the time.

they were always really wonderful.
Fast-paced and Interactive
Community Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CANovember 3, 2018
There is a set list of things that need to be done by every job description. The store I worked at was extremely fast-paced and high volume for both walk-in and take-out. I learned very quickly how to manage my time efficiently and get my job and side work done.
My favorite Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
I love being apart of this family, half off meals, leanant hours, wonderful managers and an overall good experience I loved being around the customers and employees.
Fun work environment
Trainer, Host, Server, Take (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA 91101October 25, 2018
Great company to work for! You learn so much about the food, ingredients, preparation, allergies, etc.... and they make it easy to be proud and excited of what you are selling to the guests.
Pros
Rewards program for guests
Positive culture
CBA, Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAOctober 25, 2018
They care for their employees and do their best to work with school hours and other needs. A great culture and always a friendly/welcoming environment.
a place that lost its roots
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2018
lost focus on who they were with new ownership. The whole culture began to crumble after it was sold to golden gate capital. quality and freshness became compromised. They also started to shut down locations
Pros
great salary
Cons
no work family balance
Productive and fun workplace
Head Server (Waitress) (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIOctober 24, 2018
Excellent company for anyone to work at with a top notch management team. A very family oriented restaurant with superior service and great food. I love this restaurant.
Great crew , menu, location and theme.
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAOctober 23, 2018
I started mothers hours then did occasion doubles for extra money. There are numerous job titles within the restaurant many of us were capable if working in different areas.
Some managers I seen will be a cook or host and its versatile . They are quick to offer to train you in the different areas if you show you are wanting extra hours or to fill in.
There are several novice waitstaff here whom are excellent at serving. People can get valet parking fri nights at Natick Collections location so you will see all the latest nicest trucks pulling up to utilize that .
My favs are tequila pasta or buffalo chicken pizza. 90 percent time I stuck to my salads and they have great salads too.
It's a cute little place and mostly parties with children come in do a lot of carrying high chairs to seat parties with toddlers.
I remember I was only doing hostess mothers hours but advanced into multiple positions within the restaurant and occasionally picked up extra hours when I could.
Pros
Half price entrees one per shift. Huge oppurtumotion from within if you are awsome lik
fun place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 23, 2018
it is a fun place to work, I enjoy helping the costumers and getting free pizza, we have some bad days that I only get one table in the whole shift. But anyways I like it because it as a different vibe.
Not the best work enviornent
Server (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 22, 2018
Not a good experience , management was very poor, I woudnt recommend it to anyone, fast paced family oriented restaurant. Management was very unprofessional.
ambiente de trabajo divertido
Camarera (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 22, 2018
it was a great place to work . I was able to manage working and having a social life and the store leaders seemed to be mindful of that. Lots of opportunities to move up in the company if you express interest and are willing to work hard
Pros
fun working environment. Opportunities to move up
Cons
sometimes management forgets that they are leaders and role models
i like to work here
Bar Back and Food Runner (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 19, 2018
i would like to continue working for this company but if i get a better jobs with competitive salaries i have to get it because california it’s to expensive to live
Pros
free launch
Cons
shore break
Fun environment to work in.
Trainer/Server/Expo/Takeout (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 17, 2018
I learned that working for this company you can really move up quickly if you set a goal. I started off as a host and worked my way up to now being a trainer at my store. I enjoy working here and would definitely recommend this job to anyone that likes working in a fast paced environment.
Server
Server (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAOctober 17, 2018
Great experience for serving. Great atmosphere, good people. Family oriented place. served great people and had my usual regulars. made sure my costumers left full and happy!
Great part time job for college student
Hostess, Server, Bartender, Take-Out (Former Employee) –  Estero, FL 33928October 15, 2018
Greet customers, take orders and serve their order in a timely fashion. Accept payments & disperse correct change if needed. Be able to prove and hand in documentation of sales/collection of money at the end of shift.
Long hours for no pay
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2018
I learned a lot while working for CPK however I worked over 15-16 hours regularly and I have no work life balance.

No room for advancement unless you started 30 years ago.
Fun Workplace
Receptionist, Server, Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2018
California Pizza Kitchen is a very fast-pace environment. It is always busy. Especially during lunch time and dinner. I have learned to prioritize our guests and that teamwork is key. Management is very understanding and hardworking. The most enjoyable part of this job is the friendly environment and serving our guests.
Pros
discounts
Fun place to work.
Server/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 7, 2018
Very fun place to work. High energy and very fast paced. Very busy. Hours are not consistent and pay varies. Room for advancement. Good management. Family like atmosphere.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Inconsistant hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Pizza Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at California Pizza Kitchen.

Powered by Comparably