California State Polytechnic University Pomona

California State Polytechnic University Pomona Employee Reviews

United States182 reviews

pomonacalstudentprofessorcampusuniversityclasscollege

Love love love working here!

I worked to care for all of the gardens, helped to build some of them, and helped out with the classes, tours, and workshops. There is always something new and exciting to learn or try, and the managers were always very caring and supportive in helping me succeed in my job as well as outside of my job. My favorite part of college was working at BioTrek. They are constantly working to improve BioTrek and are very open to ideas. The constant improvement also means the job is never boring because some new projects are always underway. They truly care about education, indigenous representation, and being stewards of the land.

Pros

Opportunities to learn, Caring management, Positive work environment, Meaningful work

Cons

Low wages as enforced by the school

Decent place to work

flexibility, pace is not too fast, can be challenging, not much support form department leaders, some employees not appreciative, some employees not very friendly

California State Polytechnic University Pomona insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Student Assistant

I guess this is mostly dependent on which professor you work for and under what circumstances but working on tutorial videos with my professor was some of the most fun I had at school. Pay aint bad either!

Great People to Work with

Overall, it was a warm and friendly environment. The people were nice and everyone was very supportive of each other. I feel like it has prepared me for real work experiances.

Pros

A lot of experience

Cons

long drive, parking is sometimes difficult to find

Recognition and rewarding for hard work.

its very pleasant and exiting environment to work at, job very challenging and rewarding, good place to work and getting best benefits ever.its very diverse working place and you learn a lot . Management are encouraging your advancement and development . good collaboration among management team .

Pros

many perks and benifits

Poor rate of pay

I loved the children, parents and the facility. The supervisor had an agenda and if she wanted you out of the program you were strongly encourage to leave. I am sure that at this time management has changed. The pay was poor and there was no benefits.

Pros

Parents and children great

Cons

Supervision was covert and manipulative

Great work like balance!

They made sure that as a student worker, you put your studies first. Always willing to work with your schedule along with opportunities for full time in the summer. Pay was on the lower side though

Great Opportunity and a decent first job

I enjoyed my time working for Associated Students Inc. The tasks were pretty much the same everyday working in an office. However, there was slight drama between the other workers so you have to know how to communicate and do not let it interfere with your work. The hours are flexible you can work as often as you would like, but do not exceed over 20 hours a week.

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay

Cons

No benefits (like unemployment, medical, etc)

Productive place to work with students

At PolyTransfer, I was able to work with staff and transfer students. I was able to meet students that transitioned into Cal Poly from different colleges and able to develop a connection with them. I was able to also teach them about the different resources that I was knowledged on.

Management needs improvement

There is a huge lack of communication, co-workers are like a family, student cooks are great and fun to teach, don't ever expect a pay raise or to get full-time. As a part-time job you are capped at 1000 hours. So don't expect to work for months at a time with only a couple of days notice. You have to bug management to find out or you'd only get an nights notice. Meaning you have no time to prepare for the lack of income.

They put students first

Working with Maximizing Engineering Potential, they are good at working around your schedule and are more than willing to help you so you can perform your best. The people are great, and everyone is friendly.

fun experience

It is fun to work at the school gym. Also Work with students is easier to gain a lot of experience. I got trained to respond when an emergency happens.

Good environment

Good environment, open, low stress , convenient. Growing with opportunity, communication is something that needs to be worked on. Low pay rates. Not competitive rates

Cons

Pay

Challenging but rewarding work environment

Flexible work environment with variable challenges to face every week. As senator my work was mainly communication between clubs and organizing events while making sure things fit into the budget, all the while being supported by faculty in the ASI.

Fun experience

I got to help incoming freshman and transfer students during the duration that I worked there. The experience I had where working there was fun and laid back but got the job done on time.

Productive, motivating atmosphere

Learned a lot, worked on recruiting all american . collegiate athletes, aided in budgeting. Was able to travel all over the nation competing at the highest level of soccer in NCAA, Was National Finalist in Florida, and aided in making Cal Poly one of the top programs in the nation for Mens Soccer

Pros

Learned everyday

Cons

Long commute

Excellent employer

Beautiful campus Awesome benefits Nice community More formal culture Salary increases every year Nice people Many job opportunities for union members

Pros

PERS retirement, nice campus

Cons

Pay could be more competetive at times

Poor Management / Lack of management skills

One would think working in higher education would provide a stable and friendly environment, instead you're working with people who are passed retirement age, have old school ways, and are not up to date with what is going on in the modern office. They micromanage you, give you a title, then proceed to condescend what you just said to the team. The environment will never change until you change out management, and stop allowing student workers to act like they know it all - they don't!!

Benefits

Cons

Poor managment, outdated systems, student workers in all departments, many with bad know it all, attitidues.

Great for students for part time work

Cal Poly Pomona is a bit relaxed to work for the most part. Some processes and projects are a bit slow to get approved due to a lot of red tape. For the most part, everyone is pretty friendly, but there is a lot of passive aggressiveness when it comes to conflicts. The work culture is pretty dated and old school, so it may take a decade for it to catch up.

Pros

Work and study in the same place!

Cons

Micro management

Productive and Simple

I liked working from home in an online environment. I enjoyed helping students out to be more confident in their writing. The pay is ok but it was only monthly. I needed a job that would pay every 1 or 2 weeks.

Pros

Work at Home by online and e-mail.

Cons

Pay isn't that great.

Great place to teach

Great faculty, great staff, great students. The school offers plenty of resources to all of these groups to help them perform at their best. The transition from a quarters system to a semesters system was a bit rough, but the dust has mostly cleared on that now.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California State Polytechnic University Pomona. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at California State Polytechnic University Pomona.
Powered byComparably

California State Polytechnic University Pomona Reviews by Location

Learn about California State Polytechnic University Pomona in popular locations

Studying at Cal Poly Pomona

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

California State Polytechnic University Pomona reviews by popular job title