California State University, Dominguez Hills Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Adjuncts Everywhere
Adjunct Philosophy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 30, 2018
I love the students and the adjunct instructors are dedicated to quality and engaging teaching. It's a hard life though -- a lot of hours and no security.
Pros
The students!
Cons
Administration
Adjunct Professor - really like teaching there
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 9, 2018
The staff is a very nice group of professionals and the manager gives professors a lot of freedom. The students are wonderful and many are first time college students in their families. As a result, they are very enthusiastic and excited about learning.
Pros
Love the students, staff
Cons
Low pay but the same for all CSU adjunct positions
Great
English Supplemental instructor (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAMarch 14, 2018
This university will work with you and your schedule. They make it a point to push you to the highest level of achievement. I would recommend that you try and work as an SI if you plan to teach later on down the road.
Wonderful place to learn and grow
Alumni Associaton President (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAMay 18, 2017
This is an elected position and I learned to manage the business of the alumni. The workplace culture was one that had challenges but was interesting. The hardest part of the job was managing different personalities and getting all to work in harmony. I enjoyed engaging alumni in giving back to the student community.
Pros
free lunches and dinners
Cons
a lot of paperwork
Good place to work with friends and at school
Activities Assistant for Loker Student Union (Former Employee) –  Carson, CA 90747February 28, 2017
Working at school was great since I did not have to worry about commuting anywhere. The work itself I believe they would ask way more than possible sometimes as in try to work a miracle. Everything is handled professionally. If you are ready for the challenge take it. At the end it is great to build skills and it is really fun with co-workers that become friends
Interesting
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 15, 2016
You learn things in each new job that you take with you. Working in a University is no different. You discover that common sense becomes your best tool in an industry that tends to be lacking any.
Interesting and Rewarding
Student Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 7, 2016
Very good learning experience. Helped me to refine my office skills and further confirmed that diligence, dedication, and gumption will get you where you want to be.
Learning while helping.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 10, 2014
I had a great time helping the students and staff at CSUDH. This job allowed me to experience new things about computers and help solve problems while learning. I really enjoyed proofreading student papers and sharing my thoughts with them.
Pros
Great job to finish school.
Cons
Only a part-time job.
Great environment to work.
Mental Health Outreach Coordinator & Programmer (Current Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 3, 2014
Planning and developing mental health material, events, or workshops for the campus to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness while promoting mental health services if needed.
Validates OSHA knowledge, student interaction great
Instructor for OSHA Safety Standard Courses (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 5, 2014
Instructing OSHA courses on weekends and remote from the University is fun and enjoyable. I would bring in either donuts or a small breakfast and coffee for the class and for the remaining days and for the students who wished to participate, they would take care of the remaining mornings. The interaction I generate to get the students involved allows for great interaction between student/instructor and student/student. For review of the day's instruction we break into teams and play OSHA Jeopardy. It is enjoyable for me, between courses, to find appropriate movie clips that drive the point of discussion home for each student. Sometimes the long drives to remote instruction sites can be a bit tedious but when the students can honestly say they will be bringing back some good information to their work and feel empowered in the process, well, that pretty well sums it up.
Pros
Studetn satisfation and a sense of effecting change
Cons
The drive
An educational environment filled with learning and growing.
Financial Aid/Outreach Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJanuary 14, 2014
My typical day was to provided students with financial aid information such as grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study.

I learned from my managers to build trust and confidence with the students, especially when discussing financial aid.

I learned to talk education and careers with students from my co-workers to ease any doubt or nervousness.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with students that were denied financial aid due to poor grades.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to assist students reach their educational goal.
Pros
Assist students graduate college.
Cons
Dealing with students that had poor grades.
student assistant
Front - End Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carson, CANovember 18, 2013
Great job if you are a student. Great campus and wonderful to commute
Great Place to Start
Registration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 24, 2013
This place of employment is excellent ! There is always something to do and your co workers are like family. I learned how to handle a rush of people and how to answer multiple phone lines and direct calls. The management is great and very understanding they are some of the best bosses i have ever had. The hardest part of the job is the student rush at the beginning of a semester or having to explain to students why the registration fees change because we have no control over that so it gets difficult to explain. The most enjoyable part is the students and helping them further their education.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to learn and Gain Experience
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJanuary 2, 2013
CSUDH is a great place to work where you can gain experience and learn plenty of skills in the computer IT area. I have gained plenty of hands on experience and devolped great connections that will boost my career.
Office is on a soccer field.
Assistant Coach - Men's Soccer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 13, 2012
Provided specialized tactical and technical instruction on-field.
Aided players with psychological game preparation and motivation.
Self-learned skills include recruiting , communication, merchandising, fundraising.
Co-workers have vision and passion for fostering an environment conducive to student-athletes progressing toward graduation and winning games.
Difficult obstacles arise when attempting to solve simple problems with logical solutions and red tape binds layer upon layer preventing easy issues from being resolved.
The most gratifying thing in coaching college sports is providing student-athletes the tools to achieve goals through teamwork and getting to see the goals come to fruition.
Pros
competitive environment, paid travel, per diem, prolonged and instant gratification, high-level sports environment.
Cons
lack of general organization, task management, staff oriented measuable goals.
Transfer Center Representative
Transfer Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAMarch 31, 2012
The Transfer Center Representative duties are to interpret, follow instructions and policy guidelines regarding application requirements for transfer students as well as first time freshman. Be aware of the waitlist, permission number and add/drop deadlines. Assist students as needed with CSU mentor. Apply applicable rules, policies, and principles while making sound decisions and recommendations to students either in person or in response to email, or via the phone.

Under general supervision of the Director, this position performs professional administrative tasks in support of the Transfer Center. Daily duties include, but are not limited to work requiring general knowledge and understanding of enrollment procedures. Transfer center protocol is customized for each individual student. Upon greeting the students listen for the relative need realizing that their needs may consists of a variety of services that are offered. Be able to access the need, and provide them with the opportunity to meet with a counselor. Therefore the primary responsibilities include: acting as a receptionist, greeting students, staff and guest of the Transfer center, while maintaining other office functions. The transfer center representative must be able to multi-task as they prepare, analyze, and interpret daily responsibilities.