California State University, Los Angeles Employee Reviews

3.8Job Security & Advancement
Productive and enjoyable work envirnoment
Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Being a tutor at Cal State La has been one of the most self fulfilling jobs I've had. Although it was part time, working in an environment like that had become one of the best places to be at during the day. Helping the students in subjects such as English and math was rewarding in ways that made me enjoy what I did. I would definitely recommend this job to anybody seeking an on campus job while going to school.
Pros
Informative workshops, free food, great staff
Cons
lack of work hours and benefits
A beautiful campus with amusing classes and students.
Saturday Academy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2017
Very close to my house and I did not have to spend much time in the freeway. There were plenty of parking space with minimum cost. Your colleague were very friendly and knowledgeable.
Pros
The library had a lots of books.
Cons
not enough courses.
As member of archaeological site recordation project it was an excellent opportunity to gain paid working experience.
Archaeology Field Technician (Former Employee) –  San Nicolas Island, CASeptember 8, 2017
I was able to gain profesional experience in archeological site recordation which included surface surveying, gps mapping, photography and field notating. All thanks to the Department of Anthropology at California State University, Los Angeles.
Pros
Excellent housing accommodations
Cons
Spent entire work week on island, so social activities were limited
Student Assistant
Front Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 5, 2017
Important skills that I have acquired while working for Cal State LA Housing and Residence Life is creating, editing and updating spreadsheets, responding to emails and voicemails, and sorting and dispersing incoming and outgoing mail/packages
Pros
Costumer service training
Cons
Not enough hours offered
Analysis and Design of Steel Strucutre
Master Thesis (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 4, 2017
This thesis paper allowed me to develop my skills as an engineer. As project lead I directed to the other members different tasks that myst be done in order to meet the deadlines.
it's manual labor.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2017
It was routine work. Putting books on cart, organizing them according to departments, then in alphabetical order, and the final step would be to put them back on shelves.

Just a lot of running up and down the stairs, and loads of climbing.

It helped to pay for college expenses.
Administrative positions make much more than Instructors
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2017
Great university for the students. Cal State LA is #1 in turning low-income students into high-income earners. Much better for Associate Professors than Adjunct Lecturers. Even better pay for Administrative positions.
Pros
Healthcare, Dental
Cons
Parking
productive and fun
Junior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 5, 2016
it is a wonderful place to work. my work consisted of designing the products and test the developed product and also supervise the engineer's around me.
Great place to teach.
Lecture Instructor, (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2015
I very much enjoyed teaching at Cal State LA, the students are highly motivated and dedicated. The environment at Cal State LA is energetic and motivational for both the students and staff.
It was very productive.
SAP BODS Consultant and Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 12, 2015
It was a good place to study and work. The projects were all academic projects and I learned a lot working with my team in different roles.
Excellent place to be.
Co-Director of Golden Eagle Film Festival (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
The culture at this university is amazing. Everyone in every department is extremely helpful and there is a sense of community. Administrators are very supportive of their students, and want them to succeed. Through the film festival, I got to learn the various policies and procedures of the campus, and learned the process of planning major events at a public university.
An undergraduate research which allows flexible time schedule and great learning outcomes including cell culturing and independent research skills
Cancer Research- SkBr3 cell culturing (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 22, 2015
Flexible time schedule for undergraduate student and great learning outcomes by working with other students which includes material management, routine care for the cells, and independent research.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
time required to wait for ordered materials
Flexible work environment with friendly colleagues
Text Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 15, 2014
Since I work as a Student Assistant, my work being flexible is most important for me because I have to balance work and classes. This is just what I get working here.
There is a little work pressure to get stuff done, because the disabled students are completely reliable on us. So the work has to be done morally, as well as perfectly.
I learned time-keeping and getting stuff done within a particular time constraint. Managing the books, prioritizing work, understanding and thinking analytically are some other things learned from small situations arising everyday at work.
I haven't encountered any challenging part of the work but I am willing to and would love to face it.
Enjoyable work with amazing teaching team.
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2013
A typical work day included meeting with the faculty to discuss future study plans and create exam questions.

The faculty was extremely forthcoming and helpful.

Obviously, the most enjoying part was teaching classes by myself and getting to know the students and their endeavors.
Pros
Friendly students and faculty
Cons
Large number of students per class.