California State University, Monterey Bay

California State University, Monterey Bay Employee Reviews

Ambitious on-campus organization
PR Commissioner and Student-Major Rep (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAMay 15, 2018
A typical day of work involved implementing social media campaigns. More often than not, there was some more form of student-advocacy that was done. Usually, there was some event that required teamwork and leadership in order to execute the task. I learned how to organize events. The hardest part of the job would the occasional lack of organization, while the best part of the job was the flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Not enough hours
Fast paced, collaborative
Inspector of record (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAMay 10, 2018
Hit the ground running. Learn on your own. Building department is technically only 3 years old. So much to do to develop building department.
CSU self governs.
Enjoyable
Database and Excel Tutor (Former Employee) –  Marina, CAApril 26, 2018
I was a part time tutor recommended by professors. I worked when I wasn’t in class for some extra money and assisted students when I could with projects, homework and preparation for exams.
Pros
Easy, flexible hours
Book keeper
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marina, CAApril 16, 2018
I was working as a cashier, stocked books, processed online orders. I made floor displays and planned floor sets for clothing items. I also processed the orders to ship out as well.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
Beautiful location
Educational Talent Search Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAApril 14, 2018
Good place to build a professional foundation being a student assistant. A typical day at work would be in the office or at my school site meeting with students. I learned about work culture here. I learned the negative and positive. The hardest part of the job was the culture and the department I worked for was very must about "who you know" which can make it challenging.
Pros
Cons
limited opportunities
Productive, rewarding, flexible
Academic Leader (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, CAMarch 28, 2018
A typical day consisted of attending classes and providing students with help in the subjects of Math and English. As well as provide tutoring sessions for students after school. The management was fairly reasonable, we were provided tasks and had to report back on our progress at the end of the day. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was witnessing a change in students academic interest.
Awesome place to work
Admin. Assistant, AlumRelations and Annual Giving (Former Employee) –  Marina, CAMarch 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time there! Environment was relaxing and I enjoyed working and made great friends!

My supervisors were superb! I was always informed of my clerical duties and received pertinent feedback.
laid back, low stress, enjoyable peers
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmel-by-the-Sea, CAFebruary 19, 2018
A typical day would consist of travelling to different bodies of water and collecting samples. We'd spend up to 5 hours driving around Carmel Valley collecting before driving back to the lab to run various tests.
Pros
Free lunch/dinner
Cons
unpaid
Campus Cafe Job with a relaxed atmosphere
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 28, 2018
An on-campus job at CSUMB, "We Proudly Brew Peet's," only working during the school year.

Skills: Teamwork, Register, Drink-making, Opening, Closing, Cleaning & Upkeep
Pros
Flexible hours, easy to get shifts covered
Cons
Minimum wage
CSUMB has its quirks but is an overall great place to work
Marketing & Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Seaside, CANovember 1, 2017
As a newer university, CSUMB is an interesting place to work. While not all procedures are as ironed out as anyone would like, this does cut down on the bureaucracy (sometimes... in other cases, it increases it), and allows each employee to make a real difference to the direction of the organization. Most employees are kind, collaborative, and have a willing spirit to work hard to improve the student experience. While it is a job, and there are definitely things to complain about, on the whole I am very proud to be a CSUMB Otter and would recommend it to almost anyone.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding management, opportunities for advancement and professional development, working for a good cause
Cons
Siloed departments, not many smooth/developed processes & procedures for even basic functions, outdated systems
first real job
Tour Guide Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAOctober 19, 2017
i was a tour guide my first year of school, they help me develop a working ethic that was unknown for me. they helped me become more organized and set priorities.
Pros
flexible
Cons
short breaks
Work Place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAOctober 19, 2017
As a collage student i had the honor to work at the international office for over 2 years. I gained valuable experience and knowledge that i will carry with me for the rest of my life.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breks
Great place to start!
Staff (Former Employee) –  Marina, CASeptember 27, 2017
I worked with CSUMB's international student department for their orientation week as a tour guide and document-checker and it was a wonderful first job! They're clear about their expectations and instructions, they keep you updated whenever anything changes, and they help when you seem confused. If you're a student or have never had a job before, I highly recommend signing up to help out with an event like this.
Awesome place to work
MARINE ECOLOGY RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CASeptember 20, 2017
Working as a researcher allows you to gain valuable knowledge in the field(s) that you are looking to go into. awesome staff at UROC and amazing mentors at CSUMB.
Good place to start off your career
Student Center Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CASeptember 20, 2017
there is one of 2 speeds, either extremely busy or extremely slow. Work primarily with college students. It is located in the same building as Starbucks so during breaks many of will go there. Good place to start off your career in the business world.
Cafe Located inside the CSUMB Library
CSUMB Library Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAAugust 22, 2017
A very fast paced job, requires attention to detail, excellent customer service, multi-tasking, teamwork and problem solving. I learned how to make all types of different coffee shop drinks, I learned how to time manage, prioritize tasks, execute orders quickly during rushes, and professional customer service skills. The hardest part about this job was that it was rush hour all day, so if you didn't work well under pressure then you slowed the team down. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting, helping and meeting so many new people during shifts.
Alright place to work
Accounts Payable and Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAAugust 16, 2017
CSUMB offers a nice work environment.
Though it is boring it is rewarding working in a diverse work environment. Apart from that the campus is beautiful despite being poorly ran.
Great
Student Researcher, Capstone Project (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAJune 21, 2017
This was my capstone project as a Student at CSU Monterey Bay. I enjoyed my time as a student and learned skills and perspectives that will serve me for the rest of my life.
Pros
Skills, knowledge, and perspectives.
Cons
Student loan debt
Fun and educational workplace!
Lead Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAMay 31, 2017
Teaches the basics of working in a fast-paced, administrative position. Unfortunate that hours eligible to work are limited to part-time. I also wish there was more communication with CEO and other professional staff.
Flexible Hours
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAMay 15, 2017
Convenient place to work when you do not have a car on campus. Since they know most of the employees are students, they are flexible in distributing hours.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
not competitive pay