California University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

Internship needed to graduate
Theatre Intern (Former Employee) –  California, PAMay 15, 2018
I was a business student who needed an internship in order to graduate. I was interested in theatre and I had already taken a few theatre classes in the past so I applied for this internship. Not only was I one of the interns, but I was also the house manager for all of the productions. I worked two days a week unless there was a show that week. On a normal week, I worked 6 hours a day, two days a week. During show week, I would work 4 days a week, work about 28-30 hours that week. (There was a week were I worked from 3pm on Thursday until 8am Friday morning). On a typical day, I would come in to work and be given an assignment that would need to be done withing two weeks. The work wasn't very difficult so it wouldn't usually take that long, and once I was done, I would go around the office and see if anyone needed any help with anything they were working on. The work environment was nice and 90% of the time, but towards the end, there did seem to be a division in the office that grew to be uncomfortable. Overall, it was a good job, and good experience to have.
Pros
Flexible hours, Not too demanding
Cons
Poor communication which often lead to high stress
Relaxed
Provost Office Academic Records (Former Employee) –  California, PAMay 13, 2018
Relaxed but can take place of adequate study time. Easy place to work but it sometimes can get in the way of other things. Depending on where you work they will work with you though.
Student Worker
Health and Wellness Center Receptionist (Current Employee) –  California, PAApril 6, 2018
Working on campus as a student worker is a great opportunity while going to school full-time! It is a very relaxed place to work and have down time to work on school work as well. Staff is always pleasant.
Productive, yet easy going work environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAMarch 13, 2018
I worked as a lab assistant for the Applied Engineering and Technology Department at California University of Pennsylvania. During my time there I learned a lot about managing a shop environment, as well as promoting safe learning in the classroom.
Fun place to work and meet dorm residents
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAFebruary 6, 2018
This position was during a semester at college, it was great. I meet a lot of people from all walks of life. I learned different things about people, cultures, languages, and costumes. Made a lot of friends.
Productive, able to complete homework and study
Work-Study (Current Employee) –  California, PAJanuary 13, 2018
Very laid back work environment, slow-paced and able to manage work and school. Workplace culture is very comfortable. Everyone is very nice and smart
Pros
Work friends
nostress job
Electrician (Former Employee) –  California, PAJanuary 2, 2018
Not a hard job .Unfair with job advancement , kept employee at under full time hours so was unable to be provided with medical benefits . Made bidding on other positions difficult
Pros
good hours
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 24, 2017
MANAGEMENT SUCKS! They make you think that you will become a full time worker when they really keep you as a TEMP and then lay you off and then forget about you.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, Pay
Cons
Management, no advancement/job security
Active and involved workplace with informed coworkers
Assistant Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  California, PAOctober 19, 2017
Typical day at work consisted of set up and break down of practice and game-day equipment as well as providing equipment assistance for players on site.

Learned how to organize and management multi-sport equipment distribution and return as well as sport specific equipment management.

Workplace culture was fast paced and responsive.

Hardest part of the job was management of coaches, players, and staff needs, as well as equipment management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friendly players, coaches, staff, and coworkers. Also attending sporting events.
Pros
Fun, fast-paced, get to attend sporting events, awesome coworkers
Cons
Organization of multi-sport equipment distribution and return can be taxing
productive workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PASeptember 30, 2017
it was a fine place to work. You only work 8 hours per week. You open a computer lab and sit in there for assistance. Also help at the research desk with anything that needs to be done in the library.
Pros
short week
Cons
no benefits
On-Line Learning
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Former Employee) –  California, PASeptember 29, 2017
A fantastic way to reach students all over the world. The technology allowed me to interact with students of many different backgrounds and provide them with new philosophies and systems to advance them in their chosen field.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of consistent work
Fun place to work
Student Ambassador/Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  California, PAAugust 14, 2017
I very much enjoyed my time at the university. My position was a work study, however I feel that I gained a lot of necessary skills that I can apply to any professional job in the future.
Intership
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  California, PAJuly 25, 2017
This was only apart of my graduate degree. I worked here as a graduate assistan and my time there was nothing but fun and a great learning experience.
Great academic environment.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  California, PAJuly 18, 2017
Assistant Professor position which allowed freedom to publish, teach and mentor students. Excellent supportive environment which enhanced academic collaboration with peers and critical thinking for students.
Pros
Encouraged publication.
Cons
None.
Working with athletes is the best.
Athletic Support Intern (Former Employee) –  California, PAJuly 12, 2017
Working with athletes is great. Being able to help these student athletes set education goals is very rewarding. Its always good to see a person who you helped during this time become successful down the road.
General maintenance of the college campus
Temporary Carpenter (Former Employee) –  California, PAJune 28, 2017
Maintained the general campus of the university. Ex: concrete work, electrical, general repairs.
The work environment was comfortable.
The employee's were easy to work with.
I
Pros
Monday through Friday dayshift
Cons
Temporary position. Many years before full time employment would be available
Wonderful
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  California, PAJune 9, 2017
This is a supportive and fun work enviroment. There is room for professional growth and training with excellent benefits. Everyone at CalU is ready and willing to do whatever it takes to help their fellow employees as well as students. I could not be happier having attended and worked at CAL U.
educational and fun work place
Work study office clerk (Current Employee) –  California, PAMay 16, 2017
working at California University of Pennsylvania is really enjoyable. You learn from others and especially from yourself. It is a good experience to work as a office clerk at the university.
Work Study Postion
Alumni Ambassador (Former Employee) –  California, PAMay 14, 2017
I needed a work study for the summer and found the Alumni Relations position open on the announcement page. I ended up loving what I did over the summer that I kept it for the entire year. My bosses were so nice and went out of their way to help me with whatever I needed.
Decent work experience
Mechatronics Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Current Employee) –  California, PAMay 6, 2017
The Teacher's Assistant position did not require much other than helping professors setup for labs and help distribute the workload. It also provided me with experience needed in other work environments.