California Water Service Company Employee Reviews

Productive amd challenging
Livermore Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 13, 2019
Everyday is a different task of its own. It was a great place to work for. Having the opportunity for growth and the ability to implement your ideas to produce great products.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Great place to start your career
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2019
Although working at a water company does not lead to the most glorious career path, I will say it is a great place to intern for a college student. Management made a traditional work environment enjoyable and they were always willing to show you the ropes.
not impressed
water treatment operator (Former Employee) –  Lucerne, CASeptember 27, 2018
Cal water is stuffed full of idiots in the upper management department. they care more about their worthless pet projects then they do about employees, water quality, or customer satisfaction.
Pros
piad well
Cons
management
Great company to work for.
Local Manager-Redwood Valley District (Current Employee) –  Lucerne, CAJune 20, 2018
I needed to relocate. It was difficult to relocate within the company. There are very high expectations within the company. It was difficult managing a small District within a large company.
Great Except...
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 15, 2018
If you aren't a permanent employee, protected by the union, you can expect to stay a temporary employee for years, without full benefits. One woman I spoke to had been a temporary employee for 13 years before she was made permanent. Without permanent status, your health insurance covers less, there are no vacation days, you don't qualify for bonuses, union employees have first pick at jobs (even if they already have one, even if your job is at risk of going away, even if you have the job experience). Living as a temporary worker is stressful. You perform all of the duties and responsibilities of a union worker, you work as long or longer than union workers (you can be salary AND temporary), but it is very clear that you are less than everyone else here. Once you are permanent, California Water Service Co will take great care of you. The culture is positive, they almost exclusively promote from within, and they are good to their permanent employees. You should weigh the risk of being a temp employee for a long time against the benefits you might gain from permanent status. Also, they take great care of their customers. They are dedicated to their customers.
Pros
Good culture, takes good care of customers, promotes from within.
Cons
Long time to gain permanent employee status.
worked alone so not much went wrong
Boat Inspector (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMay 16, 2018
show up in the morning to open or you work the later shift to close the lake. Inspect and tag boats when they come in and when they leave. workplace was very relaxing and laid back.
Pros
nice views
Cons
no breaks
Excellent benefits, family feel
Manager of Special Projects (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 24, 2018
Cal Water is an excellent company. A leader in the water utility field. The CEO is very engaged and hands on. The company cares about their employees and shows appreciate regularly.
Longevity, Great Benefits, Family Environment
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2018
Calwater is the kind of company that you retire from. They have the best talent in the industry and show genuine appreciation for everyone that works there. Both middle and upper management take the time to listen to employee needs and accommodate
most of the time. The company has many events in which employees get to have fun such as taco trucks or bowling. These are the things that make Calwater the best place to work. Not just because they are on the top 100 best places to work list!
Pros
Onsite snack market, ping pong table, (premium) coffee machine
Cons
Not enough parking, no onsite gym, no lunch truck
Professional
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 15, 2018
Calwater was a very friendly and professional place to work. Everything was organized and went smoothly. The company takes good care of their employees
Pros
professional, good pay
Cons
alot of desk work
Stodgy utility environment with good benefits.
SCADA Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaNovember 21, 2017
The average employee has been at Cal Water for 24 years. Most have held no other job. Nepotism is a core value.

Cal Water has a pension and a matched 401K. You can work as much or as little as you like. Lots of challenges. Very difficult to get things changed. Employee cultural is very conservative. Most top managers come from outside the company mainly because the insiders have such limited experience. Water utilities, in general, do not attract the top talent but they are pleasant places to work if you don't need to be on the bleeding edge.
Pros
A nice place to work with sites all over California
Cons
Slow paced (this may not be bad)
Company is Great at taking care of their Customers
Intermediate Procurement Clerk (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 23, 2017
California Water Service (CWS) is a very people-oriented company, both with their employees and with their customers. My supervisors, at most of the positions I worked while employed at CWS, were knowledgeable and forthright in what they expected from their employees.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
None to be mentioned
Great place to work if money is not your motivation.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 28, 2017
I enjoyed working at CalWater but the monetary compensation was very poor.
My area of responsibility covered from Bakersfield to Willow, CA.
You are practically on the road most of the time.
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 16, 2017
- Company focuses on quality, value, customer service
- Safe work culture
- Friendly work environment
- Dedicated employees
- Excellent benefit package
Small Company Atmosphere
Electrical Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kern River Valley, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Big Company with a Bunch of little companies called Districts. Limited Mobility. Great pay, Excellent benefits. Customers are displeased due to water rates.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Limited mobility
Slow Going
Associate FP&A Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2017
I was overworked at the end and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Day to day was so so. My manager was an alcoholic so was hard to work with her. Job was pretty easy. I quit.
Pros
Work was easy
Cons
Productive and excellent work environment.
Maintenance Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 1, 2016
Team and project oriented environment staffed with very professional and skilled engineers constantly and efficiently moving company business forward.
Awesome Work Place
CSR-5 (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 28, 2016
We get in everyone greats you with a friendly good morning.
I had proper training for 2 weeks before I was put on the phones. I already had customer service experience so I was ready to go. Management was awesome they had an open door policy so they were always willing to hear a concern. My co-workers we great always willing to help you succeed in your position. the hardest part of the job was leaving. I was laid off due to Obama Care. I had never cried about losing a job but I did this time. I loved this job and I just recently applied again. I am crossing my fingers that I can get back in. Best place to work for.
Pros
great pay, great hours, awesome people
Cons
Productive and professional place to work in
Water Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 24, 2015
The work environment is work smart, work hard, and the people are professional. Great team work as well as trusted to work independently.
Pros
Professional work environment
Cons
Temp Employment
It is the best private water company in California
Regulatory Analyst (Current Employee) –  1720 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95112August 18, 2015
File advice letters, respond to data requests, work on rate calculation models, analyze expenses, read regulatory decisions, prepare reports, answer customer complaints, perform quality assurance for billing and tariff, communicate with commission staff, educate employees about the rate making process.
Pros
Employee celebrations, holiday celebrations, family atmosphere.
Customer Service Representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  2000 S. Tubeway Ave, Commerce, CA 90040May 23, 2014
Answered phones and emails to assist customer questions regarding their water utility bills. Assisted supervisors with clerical duties such as, faxing, copy's, and mailed out important notices. I also cashiered. I enjoyed working as a customer service representative for this company due to it interaction with the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Water Service Company. Our community is ready to answer.

California Water Service Company Reviews by Location