Calpine Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to Work
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2018
Great place to intern, I learned a lot about internal audit during my summer 2016 internship. I had great mentors, who showed me how to perform tasks.
I also got to travel to a plant for on-site plant auditing,
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Not many interns receive full time offers
Positive and great atmosphere
Temp/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2018
I had a great experience with this company! This is the way all companies should be , straight forward and uplifting Warm and amazing to sum it up . I would love to have become a great asset
Poor Management
Senior Natural Gas Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2018
I worked at Calpine for one year. It was a stressful year due to management. The actual expectations for the role did not match what was discussed during the interview process. Severe lack of training contributed to the stress level.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Poor management.
Great stepping stone
HR Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
Great stepping stone, because there is not a lot of room for advancement. The organization runs extremely lean. Work/Life Balance needs work. The culture needs work, as the morale is quite low.
Good Place to work
employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Calpine. Employees were all very nice. Good benefits and good work life balance understanding from management. I would recommend working here
Great team
Sr. Software Eng / Architect (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2018
I enjoyed the work. The VP and the Lead were very open to new ideas. I had a great deal of autonomy, and we got the job done.

I would still be there, but it was a project based job, and I finished it, and had to move on. Too bad. I miss them.
ok place to work.
GAS Turbine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 14, 2018
Hardest part of the job was dealing with management. Had several issues that were out of my control. There was no culture in doing the right thing. Everyone concerned about themselves and not those working for them.
Pros
little travel, time off when I needed it
Cons
No feedback, never knowing where you stand as an employee.
Excellent company atmosphere
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2018
Excellent company atmosphere with friendly people who are willing to take the time to teach you how to do your job properly. Ability to move between departments in this Company is a plus.
Productive and fun place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
A typical day included analyzing trial balance information, completing journal entries, coding invoices, etc. Enjoyed involment in volunteer activities.
Collaborative environment with work/life balance
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2018
Most Management was great to work with. Employees help each other across all departments and the company has excellent benefits and a wonderful work/life balance.
about working experience
Sr. Splunk Consultant Expert (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2018
i am very much thank full to my manager rick who supported me a lot and whole team who guided a lot to reach my deadlines and i am willing to work if they have opportunity
This is a good company in the Energy Sector to work for.
Sr. Contracts Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Calpine Corporation is one of the largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources in the United States. It is also one of America's largest retail providers of power. It is a good company to work for.
Pros
Work here is usually of contract basis. Hard to have a fixed term contract.
I had a variety of duties
Senior EA to Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I worked as an assistant and personal assistant plus had the freedom to work on the project of building a power plant in the Yucatan of Mexico. Very fun project
Pros
Variety of duties. Juggled alot of hats
Cons
Project ended and the company filed Chapter 11
Job
Operator Technician III (Current Employee) –  Mohave Valley, AZJanuary 5, 2018
Steady job. Due to power plant closing had to relocate. Many opportunities with calpine if you are willing to relocate. Work environment was great and acceptable.
Was excellent until the fall
Western Region Vice-President of Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta was the main officeNovember 7, 2017
This company had a great mission but expanded too rapidly and over-extended debt leading to bankruptcy. Prior to this occurrence, the company was excellent and the CEO was a great leader.
Overtime is abundant!
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAOctober 16, 2017
You’ll have unlimited overtime opportunities when you are employed at a Calpine facility. The power plants are kept very clean. You find you can grow at the rate you’re most comfortable with as you will not be under pressure to achieve unrealistic goals. The opportunity to learn is matched by your ambitions to achieve new skilled, if you are willing to apply yourself you will grow as fast as you like. My experience is you are welcome to take on new projects and encouraged to contribute at your highest potential possible without having the pressure of delay placed upon you. Great work environment!
Pros
Great pay, great overtime, great benefits, stocks
Cons
Lean crews
Control Room Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXOctober 9, 2017
A typical day at Calpine was enjoyable. We had a small team but everyone knew their job aspect and what had to be done. I began as a outside operator and in no time worked my way up to a control room operator. I consider myself to be a fast learner with little or no supervision. I could honestly say that given any task I would be able to fulfill or complete with no problem. Unfortunately, the company had to close their doors and cease operations.
Pros
benefits, stocks, bonuses
Cons
Great company to work for.
Project Administrator, EHS (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CASeptember 20, 2017
This company was a great company to work for. The management staff at the time were very friendly and involved with their employees and committed to make the environment a very relaxed, professional, comfortable place to come to work. They worked hard to make sure that you had all the necessary training to help you succeed on your job.
Pros
Great environment, co-workers and management staff.
Cons
The company relocated from California to Houston, Tx
Great Experience during my tenure
Data Architect/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
I had a great experience during my tenure as my role was Strategic implementation of key systems such as Master data management and data governance, along with data analytics and data science.

Good team to work with, and would recommend folks to join Calpine.
Pros
Great team to work with.
Cons
versatile business
Productive workplace
Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 14, 2017
Reported to CFO, which umbrella the Tax Dept, SEC, SOX, Accounting. My manager was very intelligent and easy to work for.
It was located in San Jose so I was able to take the light rail in
Pros
Great working environment