CalPortland Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company Great Product
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJuly 13, 2018
This company spends a lot of time and money training employees. They also are great with Safety standards. Their product is quality and so are their employees. This is a place to work if you are willing to work hard and be safe. The benefits and salaries are could be better. There is no commission.

CalPortland is the industry leader in Cement and Ready Mix Concrete
Pros
Product, Coworkers, Hours, Professionalism
Cons
Salary
Too much finger pointing and drama
Maintenance/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Scappoose, ORJune 13, 2018
Everyone is so quick to point a finger at aomeone else and instead of one team there are many just a stressful place to work. They preach about how they are a family oriented company but there not
Drivers are are just a warm body
Mixer Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 5, 2018
Safety is not the concern or they would train drivers longer than two days. No air in trucks, asked to call a tape at 5 and be at work in 5 hours. HR is a joke, will see them one time a year for two hours.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No on going training, no employee monthly or quarterly meetings. Drivers are treated like less than we are a dime a dozen
Great culture
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMarch 7, 2018
They had serious turn over issues in the past so if you like to get your hands dirty their books were a bit of mess. It was a lot of fun and great experience working with the other accountants trying to get things put back together. Great learning project.
Pros
Cons
It's in California
Calportland
Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAFebruary 23, 2018
They would not let me transfer after 12 years of service. Even thou they had an office here in Phoenix that I could have done my same job. I was a valued employee that the entire company licked and respected.
Overworks employees. Extreme favoritism. Neglecting supervision.
Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 22, 2018
I was hired for mechanic position and was sabatoged by favored employee and supervisor. Had me shovel for 8 hours straight. Injured my back from strain from shoveling. Didnt meet 90 day probation due to back injury and from employee's making me look bad. I put in my 2 weeks from my old job, their competitor, because calportland made the job seem better, but come to find out. It was a nightmare. They make you shovel for 8 hours straight in hot comfined places with no respiratory equipment for their toxic cement powder. Hands down, my worst experience.
Pros
Cons
Bad managment and bad supervision.
Was good place to work tell new management came in..
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Colton, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Calportland company is a pick and choose company some days one thing is unsafe the next day it is completely fine. All that matters is production employee safety is secondary. New management will do what ever they can to push you our if you don't agree with everything they say. This is where the pick and choose safety comes from. New management is also very non¡-understanding of general mechanics.
good place to work
Process Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAOctober 31, 2017
Good place to work for.
Spent most of my time in the field and learn cement manufacturing process.
My boss was nice and very knowledgeable. I learnt a lot from him
Good Benefits and close to home
Sr. Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oro Grande, CAOctober 30, 2017
The workload can be tough at times but the benefits and pay are good to be close to home. Good company overall management skills at location can use come improvement
Poor management and process - lacks positive teamwork culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 30, 2017
No rational org structure in place. Too many bosses pull employees in different directions with opposing goals. Inadequate processes and unwillingness to implement change at the operational level.
No workplace/personal life balance. Rather than adjust the way they conduct business, or address the root cause, they expect employees to sacrifice their personal life and work tireless hours with minimal to no recognition for their efforts.
Inter management battles pull employees in separate directions. Backstabbing and networking against team members is tolerated and rampant from inter departmental support functions to general managers.
lack of strong role responsibilities and expectations create vagueness and ambiguity between departments and their employees. Some roles are held responsible and/or accountable for the performance of other team members, who don't report to them. Some roles are not given the authority, support, or tools, to implement or enforce positive change.
Cumbersome and irrational finance and supply process causes the company to delay or not pay their vendors on time creating bottlenecks.
Pros
Reasonable Pay and Benefits
Cons
No work/life balance, No teamwork culture, Archaic Processes & Procedures
Ready Mix Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 21, 2017
Follow the rules and things are good for you. Don't follow and you will know how much they care for you. Like any other place in life. Be HUMBLE 😉 and you shall reap the benefits.
Pros
getting to know people
Cons
be careful who you say anything to
Readymix driver
Ready Mix Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2017
I have worked for this company for 2 yrs now. I have learned that there is no work/life balance what so ever. This company like all others care more about their bottom line than you. The office will never say no to a customer no matter how late in the day it is. Their benifits are amazing however you work for every bit of it. Your day can start anywhere from 12 am to 11 pm and work a minimum of 10 hrs. Your start times are based on customer demand. So if dispatch does not tell you your start time when you are washed out you have to call the tape at 5 pm( or after 6 even if their on top of it) you work ever other Saturday. Sometimes you work in your truck at your plant on Saturday or a different plant in a different truck. I dont recommend this job unless you live to work because there is no working to live here.
Pros
Pay, benefits the drivers
Cons
The office, work/life balance, no set schedule
Quick Summer Internship
Purchasing Intern (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJuly 17, 2017
Kind of a waste of time as a Psychology Major. My department chair never had an intern before me so he did not really know what sort of task to give me. Upon being given a project he resigned halfway through my internship leaving me with a project that now had no purpose.
good experience
Cement Process Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAJuly 9, 2017
dynamic working environment
I was an intern there and they treats people pretty well. My boss was very knowledgable and helpful. He was opening to teach me all the new things
Good Company Bad Management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 30, 2017
Good Company, great employees. Very large corporation in five states. Management needs more direction on how to manage. They tend to lay back and let the company manage itself.
Pros
Great customers which developed into great friends over the years.
Cons
Management needs more direction
Company with local ties to community.
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Mojave, CAOctober 1, 2015
My job in the warehouse was non-stop, servicing as many as 120 persons on site. While there I was introduced to advance warehousing techniques which included electronic control of inventory. The management style of departments varied widely and the warehouse tended to be micro-managed for control purposes. My co-workers were mostly locally hired and became friends that I enjoyed spending leisure time with. The hardest part of my job was overcoming mistakes made by the employees when writing requisitions or purchase orders. The most enjoyable part of my day was working in a warehouse that was transformed from a filthy, unorganized space, into a spotless and streamlined facility.
Pros
Compassion for needed time off and extensive safety training.
Cons
Large, and sometimes, disconnected site.
work life balance
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  GlendoraAugust 27, 2015
Friendly and fun working environment; work life balance, generous benefit. Management has open door policy and welcome any suggestion for improvement
Very frustrating place to work.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Snoqualmie, WADecember 12, 2014
The job started out great but since the recession this company has changed. The management has become very disconnected from the workers and they have continue to be short staffed. There is an environment of management is just waiting for you to break the rules and write you up. The pay hasn't gone up since 2008 and the benefits have gotten worse.
Pros
If you follow the rules they tend to leave you alone.
Cons
Stagnate pay, poor management, over worked.
Excellent place to work
ready mix truck driver (Current Employee) –  las vegas,NVSeptember 1, 2014
This is a great job, you're home every night, paid holidays, paid vacation,and excellent insurance. It's easy and just about everyone has a good attitude and enjoys their job.
Pros
fun place to work
Good Place to Start
Mgr (Current Employee) –  NorthwestAugust 27, 2013
Good place to work. Advancement, benefits, and compensation have not kept pace with the industry.