Calportland Employee Reviews

Good workplace
WASHINGTON DIVISION SAFETY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 26, 2019
Good place to work, great team, high expectations. The benefits are so-so, but comparable to other companies operating in the same area. I like it there.
Cal Portland
Ready Mix Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queen CreekFebruary 6, 2019
While this was a hi speed work environment, it was a great place to work. I loved the challenge of the day to day job. The work culture was wonderful, I was played a main role in the team building of the plant I was in charge of. I loved working with all of the different personality's..
Pros
Great pay great workenviorment
Cons
Very long hrs
Poor Management and Human Resources
Nobody (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAFebruary 1, 2019
Human resources has no concern for current or potential new hires dismissing them with no follow through. HR doesnt take the time to review applications or set up interviews for their frequent advertisements for positions available.
Pros
The weather is nice
Cons
Management sucks
had a great internship
Sales and Quality Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2019
my experience there was wonderful. i interned at their portland oregon branch, and had a blast. the management was happy to help me in my career, were pretty flexible, happy to teach, and created a culture of caring for their workforce.
Not a job for a white collar office professional
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 7, 2019
The job itself would be one I would recommend for someone while going to school or as a tempary job. Not for anyone who has any serious education and experience in the administration field.

Your mornings are very busy being the office gopher, sorting tickets and orders, making coffee, filling up candy bowls, ordering supply’s from Staples etc. After 12:00pm there is tons of idle time. You are basically sitting at the desk waiting until it is time to leave unless someone randomly asks you for help sorting or alphabetizing something... I would also like to mention 90% of calls received at the desk are telemarketers or spam.

If you are looking for a job where you come in for 8 hours each day and collect a paycheck this would be a great fit for you. Don’t expect anything else.
Pros
Steady paycheck, good hours
Cons
Not a lot of stimulation, antiquated systems/work environment, not a lot of diversity
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scappoose, ORJanuary 4, 2019
Great place to work but if you do not have a collage education you can not advance in the company. Being an hourly employee, general laborer would be the best way to go if you don't have a degree.
Great Benefits
Concrete Pump Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 17, 2018
Great benefits, old equipment and unpredictable hours day to day. They are currently hiring people without CDLs and training them. Need to update there fleet desperately.
excellent company to work with, except HR should support the manager more.
Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable Operations (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CANovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at CalPortland, had an opportunity to use my knowledge and experience to enhance the company's AP Team.

Performed well, which allowed me to received a $5,000. salary increase within the first 6 month.

ensure all the daily processing were done in a timely manner,

reviewing the invoices by dates and making sure they were processed and paid promptly.

reviewed the Aging report to ensure old items were paid, after determined why they were not paid.

working on escalated issues with the vendors.

ensure the team was trained properly

Making sure the vendors issues were resolved and encouraged the vendors to give feed back.

reviewing the W9, preparing each for the 1099 process, which was the most challenging process, getting the vendors to provide current W9..
Creating and developing a successful cross training program, was so enjoyable.
Pros
utilized your judgements as needed
Cons
HR didn't review issueds as they should have done to receive the pros and cons of the situation.
Good Ole Boys
District Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 27, 2018
Not a good work environment. Safety program is a joke because of the Safety Management team that is allowed to run a program that has no substance. Unwilling to listen to new ideas. Think they truly know how to run a robust safety program and don't even follow safety basic rules.
Good about training new hires, or current employees that want to expand their scope of work.
Heavy Equipment Operator/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAOctober 14, 2018
Good place to work, supervisors are very easy to work and coordinate with. Plenty of opportunities to advance and/ or be trained in other areas. Cool incentives/ rewards for working safely on a quarterly basis.
Receptionist / Administrative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2018
In this position you spend most of your time answering phones and greeting coworkers/ guests as they arrive. You are responsible for handing out applications, ordering office supplies for multiple plants, scanning and responding to customer requests for copies of delivery tickets, office machine maintenance, mailing documents and packages through USPS online. The hardest part of this position is figuring out who is in what department and what each department duties are. The best part of this position is you get to know each and every person in the office very well.
Related
Customer Service/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAAugust 27, 2018
Good place to work, it is a 3 story building that has CalPortlands corporate team on this facility. 'm a temp, therefore I am looking for something long term.
Not a pleasant work environment
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2018
As a dispatcher at Cal Portland, there are unrealistic expectations for the staff and unfair advantages for the "good old boy system". The workplace culture was unpleasant and uninviting.
Need inside people to Know uotside Work
Ready Mix Driver (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJuly 21, 2018
There model is to do or get the Big one, meaning always after big jobs, I think they need to get all jobs. Little jobsake the world go around and to me I think 60% of concrete jobs are new business in this industry,if right about numbers then everyone Gets Paid.
Pros
Little jobs make the World go round.
Cons
Big jobs are one in a dozen.
Great Company Great Product
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAJuly 13, 2018
This company spends a lot of time and money training employees. They also are great with Safety standards. Their product is quality and so are their employees. This is a place to work if you are willing to work hard and be safe. The benefits and salaries are could be better. There is no commission.

CalPortland is the industry leader in Cement and Ready Mix Concrete
Pros
Product, Coworkers, Hours, Professionalism
Cons
Salary
Good place to work low stress but palitical at time with two supervisor
Heavy equipmentOperator (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAJune 30, 2018
Overall I was really satified with working for calportland they had had new equipment that they took care of. Pay was alright but if you didn't get along with super they would pass u up for getting a raise. My time at calportland I went through two supervisor that pass out raises to the one they wanted a not to the other who new just as much if not more. ( The two supervisor that I worked with later got fired for that) that's why I gave calportland hi rating cause they saw a problem and took care of it. The people I worked with we're great it was like a family environment. Just a couple bad supervisor that corporate let go.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
Supervisor I worked with
Hard for women to advance past an administrative role.
Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJune 20, 2018
Hard for women to advance past an administrative role. Pretty fun place to work in spite of that. The people are (mostly) great and there are some perks.
Too much finger pointing and drama
Maintenance/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Scappoose, ORJune 13, 2018
Everyone is so quick to point a finger at aomeone else and instead of one team there are many just a stressful place to work. They preach about how they are a family oriented company but there not
Only cares about the concrete
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 7, 2018
This place used to be all about the people, now its just about making money for the company. The equipment is outdated and unsafe.
The dispatchers don't care how much rest you get, management turns the other way on safety issues just to get concrete delivered.
Pros
Good benefits, Union
Cons
no life work balance, work every weekend
Ready Mix Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 29, 2018
Difficult hours. No set schedule.
I learned about different grades of cement.
Management did not communicate well with the employees.
Difficult to take time off with your family.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calportland. Our community is ready to answer.