Play YouTube video button
CalSTRS

CalSTRS Employee Reviews

Featured review
CalSTRS selected this as a representative review
The California State Teachers' Retirement System employs creative, engaged, and highly motivated staff committed to servicing California educators.
The California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) employees work hard and play hard. CalSTRS provides on-going opportunities to enhance an employee's knowledge and skill base, as well as career growth. CalSTRS empowers staff and staff is committed to providing excellent service to members.
Pros
Work-life balance is encouraged.
Cons
CalSTRS is an extremely busy agency.
Wonderful culture
CalSTRS offers opportunities for growth and development. The culture of the organization is inclusive and supportive of staff.
Executive leadership sets a wonderful example of work-life balance.
Good Culture, Shoddy Leadership
This is a state agency so in comparison to other agencies I'd say this is one of the better ones. In comparison to a functioning business/agency there is a lot of opportunity.
The technology is there but they won't use it to the level that they should. Remote work is foreign to many managers and if you are allowed to work remotely it comes with a lot of strings, oversight and is likely only good for one day a week.

Management talks a lot of talk but has no teeth and does little or nothing to improve the day to day processes. Is there a better way to do it? Yes. Will they implement it? No.

The worst HR department I've ever worked with. They are not there to support you, they are not your advocate. They are there to tell you all the reasons why you cannot.

Promotions are dealt out purely by how long you've been sitting in a seat or a position. Are you qualified but don't have the official paperwork to back it up? You'll never promote.

Overall though the people are very happy and friendly. They believe that they are doing something good for the teachers of our State. If only the internal management worked harder to improve efficiencies and ensure that the right people were in the right positions.
Intense work environment
Being in the call center definitely has its pressures. It is the nature of the business area. From managers listening to your calls live and quality assurance rating recorded calls, the call center can be a bit overwhelming, however, assisting teachers with their retirement is truly enjoyable and the best part of the job.
Supportive management of professional staff, organization chart(s) and mission statement well established, and friendly people in all departments.
The agency has a very good drafted mission for all the various departments to follow and adhere to and the people in the various departments, e.g., HR, public relations, legal, finance seem to be very friendly. Also, the audit department, of which I was a part of, had a good a organizational chart.

A typical day for me was too check my email and calendar first thing in the morning for scheduled meetings and any impromptu meetings.

Professionally, I learned how to conduct payroll audits on school and community college districts that are required to report to CalSTRS and learned to use TeamMate.

Although executive management was supportive of professional staff development, I worked for other agencies that were more supportive of the professional staff development. But the support and willingness to help staff, helped me achieve some of my professional goals in this agency.

The workplace culture was okay. Professional staff and other support staff seemed to be very productive and willing to share with you information about the agency.

I lead a team of auditors in developing and/or modifying the audit program used in the office, but it was very difficult to have some of the auditors buy into the new audit program updates I was proposing. The other team members had no prior experience writing audit programs. We worked together for about four months, but in the end, management decided that I complete the program myself, which I did and submitted it to management for edits and approval. That was a very difficult and challenging assignment, but I completed it.

- more...
Pros
Good benefits provided and public transportation within walking distance.
Cons
The audit experience gained in the agency is not 100% transferrable to other jobs. Also, the work assignments become repetitious after you learned to do the work.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Typical contract
Programmed coding, analysis, and design of programs to correct data for porting to a new platform. Position was for data cleansing for move off mainframe platform.
Pros
Cons
Noise level was too much.
Excellent Place to Work
CalSTRS is an excellent place to work. This state agency is driven by core values that upper management really does attempt to live by. Work stations are ergonomically set up for each employee and work stations also give you a sense of home.
Pros
Parking garage, on-site cafe, employee gym.
Cons
Employees pay for parking
Collaborative and team environment
excellent work site and life balance. traffic is a bear, but this is not unusual in southern California. External customers are pleasant, friendly, and grateful for the information.
Employee Friendly
Great place to work if you want or need acknowledgement and praise. Slow paced - not enough work. No governing agency oversight was good and bad for contracting.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
slow paced
Cyclical work
The retail cycle would go through periods of ups and downs. The team culture was not great. The boss that I had was very passive aggressive and would not tell employees what she wanted to see changed even when asked directly.
Awesome place to work
I was an external auditor for STRS. We reviewed School Districts and Community Colleges for compliance to the retirement law. It was a fascinating position.
Excellent place to work.
Excellent place to work and gain professional experience. The technology infrastructure is state of the art and the employees are some of the most professional.
Pros
Excellent place to work.
Cons
Na
An environment not conducive to happy work life
The basic jist of this place is, a great deal of management only got into the position they are in because they know someone. This causes people to be in positions they are not qualified for, and not knowledgeable for. It also makes it hard to promote unless you are on the inside circle.
Lack of Customer Service for Employees
Company lacks customer service for their own employees. Members and employers comes first. Human Resources are not helpful. A lot of inexperience new managers as the company is gearing for a new project that added a lot of positions.
Pros
Building
Cons
Management, Customer Service
Coworkers great - Executives rule by fear
I've been working at CalSTRS for three years. I've witnessed the executives ignore the advice of their staff, then be very vindictive when the staff ends up being correct. Unfortunately, the current execs are unqualified for their jobs therefore they must remove anyone who notices.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Management and execs are unqualified and lead via fear
Awesome
Great place to work at. People are great, location is great, management is hands on. Everyone there is willing to teach you and learn so there is nothing to be scared of.
Fun loving co-workers
• Analyzed the source metadata and established the Data Profiling Environment
• Assisted with the ETL process for loading the Legacy Data from START

• Compiled custom Data Validation Rules and merged it with the automated Data Profiling criteria

• Developed SQL programs to authenticate the data against the validation rules

• Compiled many data quality validation rules using Functional Specifications and other existing system documentation

• Some of the data evaluations included – Validation of Business Rules, Referential Integrity, Formatting errors, Domain Constraints, Data Inconsistency, Data Duplication, and Missing Data

• Executed queries to discover data integrity issues

• Logged the findings in Data Analysis Reports (DAR) reports

• Assisted in the merging of the various Analysis reports for the Data Quality dashboards

• Provided data analysis , evaluated data problems and recommended solutions or workarounds

• Identified and recommended error correction methodologies and processes to improve data quality

• Developed, tested, implemented and supported automated data integrity enforcement programs

• Supported the SMEs in identifying data problems related to Data Quality Management

• Supported development of Tableau reports and dashboards that represented the Data Quality metrics
Excellent work-life balance, great leadership
Investments is a fast pace environment. Work is expected to be done completely the first time. Time sensitive materials have to be adhered to. Strict deadlines and efficient work is a must to be successful in this work environment.
Pros
Investment Branch will get you ready for any job you will encounter
Cons
time management is a must, work will pile on.
Good experience in a business setting
The company houses close to 1000 employees and has a diverse population iof operational and leadership positions.It has taught me to work in n office setting dealing with staff and leadership issues while delivering a great product for the california teacher
Pros
large office environment
Cons
litttle advancement opportunities
CalStrs was a good place to work. The systems are complex and challenging. I learned a lot about the Teacher's Retirement Systems. I enjoyed my time t
CalStrs is a very good place to work. The computer systems are complex and interesting. The enhancements projects I worked on were challenging and very educational for me personally.
Pros
interesting, challenging work.
Cons
limited hours
Productive and Enthusiastic
This workplace was really productive and fun place to work at. Everyone was enthusiastic to work together and help everyone out. Everyday I would love to go to work and get my work done with the environment I was in.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CalSTRS. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
4.3
InHerSight Score
4.0Personal Development
4.9Career Opportunities
4.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight