Cambly
2.9

Cambly Employee Reviews

United States88 reviews
Super flexible, low pay
I've just started teaching with Cambly and I'm in my second week. First, I need to say that it's the lowest paying job I've had for more than 20 years. But the flexibility with the schedule and location (you can work anywhere that you have a computer and a stable internet connection) help to make it worth it. It's definitely not going to make you rich but it can help with a little extra supplemental income and you'll get paid weekly through Paypal. You'll need to sign up for priority hours as a new tutor to build up a base of students. Otherwise you won't get many calls. You're paid by the minute, not the hour, so it can sometimes take a while to earn a full hour's pay.
Pros
minimal/non-existent lesson planning, chat with people in all parts of the world
Cons
no bonuses or possibility of advancement, very low pay, not a consistent hourly rate
Ok
Cambly has the great task of being extremely customisable. The pay is laughably low. Management are notoriously opaque, and pay has not increased with inflation. No raises.
Overall a good online job
Cambly is my favorite company to work for in the ESL field. The flexibility of this company is better than any company I have seen in the field. The pay is not the best but the students and flexibility make up for it! I’ve been working for Cambly for over a year and plan to continue.
Pretty bad
It's hard to say where to begin in regards to issues with this company's model. Inconsistent. Awful pay. No bonuses. Glitchy interface. Flashers. You are classified as an independent contractor regardless of being at the mercy of how much/how little work you're offered by the company. The rating system is arbitrary, controlled by Cambly and they offer very little feedback or explanation as to how it works. Very little flexibility when it comes to changing hours last minute if life throws you an unexpected curve ball yet students have the ability to cancel their reservations last minute without any repercussions. Zero support should you need to get ahold of someone regarding issues. You must be prepared to work with students of all levels/ages. The only perks are working with sometimes nice students, setting the hours you are available, and getting paid out each Monday.
After three weeks, I quit
What a poorly managed company. Your first two weeks you are not rated and placed on the page with other online tutors. When your ratings come in, you are no longer seen so you will not receive any work. Ratings are 1 (poor) to 5 (great). My first rating I saw was 4.8. You would think this is great, right? It's not. When I sign to tutor, I'm not even seen so unless you get a whole bunch of regulars you will receive no pay. Its a poor system. My first two weeks I kept having to shut down the session because the "students" mostly from the middle east were exposing themselves to me. These students are rating you afterwards. They are also rating you on the connection, which in other countries is very poor. I'm in the same room with my router connected a cable so my connection is flawless. The student will give you a poor rating on your connection because they believe its on your end. Cambly says all sessions are recorded, but if they were, they would be able to see the number of students naked in front of their camera. It's startling the first time it happens to you!

The only good thing about this platform is you get to learn about different cultures.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Worst Company in the World
Hands down, the WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD-run by VERY STUPID PEOPLE WITH NO BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SKILLS (or common sense) whatsoever.

First of all, there is no customer support whatsoever-literally nothing. The technology is terrible. You are required to constantly enable your ringer (which notifies you when you have a student) or Cambly will blame you for this-because their technology is so lame that it disables going from page to page-according to their explanation.

I registered, finally got onboarded and signed up for as many stand-by hours as possible the first two weeks (everybody hates stand-by hours, but basically that's the only way to get students), hoping to quickly establish myself. However, stand-by hours are EXCRUCIATING. Cambly has absolutely the rudest "students" in the world. A "lesson" usually consists of some quite menacing chap glaring at you quite angrily and then hanging up without saying a word about 30 seconds later. This happens over and over and over. Because Cambly gives them a free 15 minutes or the like as a trial, you also get many rude drunk guys who mock how you look in their language and then hang up. Things like this happen all the time. Cambly does give you the ability to block students who are rude to you. Of the approx. 200 people whom I had interactions with, I probably blocked a full third of them. Ridiculous.

I don't think anybody learns anything. One clueless guy had taken lessons for several years, paid Cambly thousands of dollars and didn't seem to have improved one bit. I remember him asking me to repeat everything and (quite
 - more...
Scam
Very unfair. They take your priority hours away from you if you are not on time and its because their own computer issues. Do not start with this compnay.
Very low pay! Technical problems constantly!
Don’t be fooled about it saying the pay is $10.10 an hour. That’s for talk time and it very hard to get talk time. You average about $3 an hour seriously. Don’t be fooled by the $10. There’s always technical trouble. Company cares for students but not it’s workers. Gave it a few months and it never got better only worse. Don’t waste your time.
Very good environment
Every day is new. You are meeting students from around the world, some just want to have a conversation, others want to study for exams or go over grammar and vocabulary.
Not much to like
If you like working for nothing while being treated unfairly by clueless management on a system that has constant technical problems and still having to deal with rude and unmotivated students, then this is the job for you.
At least little pay is better than no pay
I am a highly trained TEFL professional, but the dishonest, non-responsive management and the rude, unmotivated students turned me off. Others have detailed a lot of the negatives of this place, so I'll add that if you're a qualified teacher, you can do much better than this in terms of both pay and work atmosphere. Skip it unless you are totally desperate.
Productive and excellent place to work
This job is fine but I have not worked there that long but so far it is fine. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a part time income. Just brilliant.
Horrible Place to Teach
Cambly is a poorly run web site with constant technical problems. They treat their teachers like garbage. The pay is already low when you do get calls, but many ‘priority hours’ consist of a constant barrage of prank calls or people with zero English ability.

The flexibility is also a myth. On the one hand, it’s true that you can choose your own hours and don’t need to ask permission to take time off. On the other hand, you may find yourself sitting for a couple hours with no calls more than 5 minutes long. Or you might receive calls but due to glitches, they won’t connect. And you’ll commonly get reservations from students who cancel 5 minutes before, and you get nothing in return.

It's can't be a "flexible job" without the "job"part!

Cambly doesn’t even pretend like they feel bad about their constant technical problems and they often talk down to you as if it's your fault. All a competitor needs to do is copy the Cambly model while treating tutors with just a bit more respect, and they'll surely take over the market.
Not worth the hassle
Don't listen to the people who think this is a good place to work. The only good thing about it is the pay (what little there is of it) comes regularly every Monday. I won't repeat what others have said except it does get a little boring sometimes.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Independent Contractor Relationship between Student and Tutor,
Working for Cambly...You can meet interesting people and learn about their languages and cultures. The absolute biggest positive about tutoring on Cambly is the opportunity to meet and help people all over the world in their quest to learn and improve their English skills.
Constant technical problems make this a bad place to work
I see other people have already covered a lot of the negatives about Cambly, poor pay, rude and disrespectful students, and incompetent management, to name a few. Right now, though, the main problem is all the technical glitches that make working at Cambly a pain. I've started looking for another job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
The only good thing is you get paid every Monday
I don't have much to add about the many negatives others have written about working for Cambly. For anyone serious about teaching, Cambly will be a big letdown as the people who run it are obviously tech people and not educators. The crazy thing is even though they hire all these techies, Cambly is full of technical glitches that they blame on the tutors. My advice is look somewhere else.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Not a good place to work
Some of the students on Cambly are good, but most are not serious about learning English and think they can become fluent in English with just a few chats with tutors on Cambly who may or may not be qualified as a teacher. As far as management, it is laughable. You have little or no contact with staff and you often must put up with technical glitches which management blames on the tutors. Work there only if you're desperate.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Easy Work from Home
I love Cambly. I am a highly qualified, experienced ESL professional, so it's work I could do in my sleep, but I actually enjoy the students a lot.
You have complete flexibility with your schedule, don't have to leave the house to make steady money and you get paid every Monday right on time. Of course, I wish they paid more, but still, it's a great second income and really fun most of the time. You also have the satisfaction of helping people around the world improve themselves & their lives.
Look somewhere else
This company does not care about you or your needs. If you message them with concerns they say: thanks for your feedback! and then you are told you are wrong.

Additionally, they told employees that they would be getting student comments and we still haven't gotten them. If you sign up for priority hours you will be very disappointed in how you are treated. Unless your rating is very low, you will be getting a lot of calls. If you need to go to the bathroom which lasts 2 minutes, you will lose the rest of your break if you go back on.

This company does not care about you and you will be underpaid for the kinds of work you are required to do. I spend a lot of time trying to find articles to read with my students or answering messages of prospective students. You will not be paid for that time. You will also have a lot of students that demand your personal information and you will be marked down when you tell them no. This company DOES NOT care for their employees.
Not much positive about this job
Men and children as young as 10 years old exposing their genitals and masturbating on camera. No support from Cambly whatsoever. If you complain on Facebook, they will boot you from the group instead of helping you. Random people calling you and instead of wanting to learn English, they use your recording to post racist things about westerners on youtube (this happened to me). Married men from Saudi Arabia and Turkey constantly hitting on you. Students calling then randomly hanging up on you, screaming at you for no reason, flipping you off, asking you inappropriate questions, and trying to force you to participate in activities not related to learning. When you refuse or hang up and forget to ban them, they will rate you so poorly you won't be able to pick up on any priority hours. The pay is woeful, you'll work hard for an hour and you probably won't get as many calls as you like. Sometimes you can get paid just $2.50 for one hour of sitting in front of your computer.