Cambly

Cambly Employee Reviews

United States242 reviews

tutorstudentenglishteachhourlessonplatformavail

Flexible and remote

It’s flexible and fun. Bookings are come and go but you had more flexibility you may be more successful. I wish it paid more.I love meeting new people and seeing people from all over the world. It is exciting and so neat. Some days are busier than others.

Pros

Flexible, remote, fun

Cons

Pay

Awful company

This company is atrocious. Do not work at Cambly! their lack of transparency is terrible. The pay is really poor and thr bosses are awful.AVOID CAMBLY!!!!

Cambly insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Everything I ever wanted in an online company

All my life I had been looking an online company with low pay, incompetent management, and a worthless and unfair rating system. I'm glad to say I found all that and more with Cambly! In a typical day at work you can meet a caller who displays his genitalia on camera, someone else who can barely speak English but expects you to make him fluent in one 30-minute class, and another person who only answers "yes" and "no" to every question. What diversity! The management does a great job of advertising to prospective tutors that all they have to do is have conversations with non-native speakers while advertising to prospective students that all tutors are highly qualified professionals who will fulfill all your English-learning needs for 17 cents per minute of pay. Cambly's "lessons" are particularly awful. Deceitful, dishonest, and despicable -- that sums up Cambly.

Pros

you get paid every Monday

Cons

everything else

Fun and easy job, bad pay

Great meeting students from around the world. There are students with a wide range of Enligsh levels. However, most students are simply looking to practice English with a native.

The pay structure is worse than it sounds

The biggest thing to know is that the pay is per *minute taught*. That means that unless you're getting reservations, it's really easy to be online for an hour and only make $5-7 since there are gaps between students. During a priority hour, you have to be in a Cambly-approved environment (they do spot check, in my experience) and be attentive enough to accept any call that comes your way. There is no excuse not to pay tutors for that full hour, even if it means offering fewer guaranteed shifts. There are occasional bonuses (an extra $1-3 per shift), but you have to reserve those shifts early and often teach them back-to-back with no more than a 5 minute break (unpaid) per hour. During peak hours, which are when they offer the bonuses, this can be extremely draining. For comparison, when I tutored in a real center, we took 15 minutes in between students to prepare progress reports and decompress. There is also an expectation that you will work with brand new beginners or children if they reserve with you. This is a terrible system for both tutors and students, as unless you have received formal training, you probably can't give these populations an effective lesson. Sticking beginners in a video call with a native speaker is frustrating for both parties.If you don't have TEFL, or if you need to fill gaps in a more regular tutoring schedule, this is an ok gig. Otherwise, you'd be much better off going almost anywhere else where you can set your own rate. Cambly is saturated enough that I do not think the rates will increase any time soon.The only real pros are the flexibility -

Ehhh

Being a tutor has its days. Some days are very long and draining. Others are fun & the time flies by. The pay could be better but it just depends on where you live & how hard you work.

A fun place to work

I have been working with Cambly for over 2 years! Each day is different working with a mixture of students. The only downside is the pay, $10 an hour is not enough where I live.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

Great Flexibility but Low Pay

Cambly is a great company to work with, and management is always quick to respond to your questions. They do consider Feedback from the tutors, and they work hard to make the employees comfortable. Flexibility is a plus! You work as little or as much as you want! However, the pay is low ($10-12/hour) no matter how much experience or certifications you have.

Pros

Flexibility, Great Management, Awesome Kids, High Bookings

Cons

Low Pay, No Show Classes

You pick your hours you takes your chances

Camby is an open ended tutoring and conversation platform. Students think you are a teacher but your official title is Tutor. Don't work here for the fortune in gold as it permanently pays .17 cents an hour per student taught. They offer time bonuses and certain incentives. They pay once a week. Some of the students are interesting. Some are not. From across the globe students range from two minute student gigglers to arrogant elites from other countries that would throw you in a dungeon sooner than look at you. This is not the job in which you get your retirement and a gold Watch after thirty years of faithful service. Basic and baseless drudgery contract work with moments that shine. Zero benefits package.

Very low pay, under minimum wage for sitting.

The work is flexible, As long as your someone who doesn't care if a student really learns or not your fine. You get cheated out of student no-shows and very low pay. Sometimes not even minimum wage. No management support, the company will always side with the student even when you're mistreated. They hire anyone.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cambly?

Easy work - very flexible - can be repetitive and very exhausting when doing a lot of hours

Cambly can be a good place to work - it is a very tiring and draining job but it is very flexible and simple.It pays ok but expect Paypal transaction fees if you are from a country outside of the US.It is very convenient and super flexible, you always have work no matter the time or day. If you are having any financial issues Cambly can always help.You have to adhere to the rating system, so try and be cheery as nice as possible as this will affect your job. Remember that if your rating is too low you will lose your job - so there is a sense of pressure here.

Pros

Super flexible, Amazing students, Interesting conversations, Money always available when you need it

Cons

Pay, Tiring, hard to do full time

A legitimate place to work if you actually care about teaching ESL

Cambly is a great place to teach ESL, as long as you're actually interested in the work. Teaching and tutoring ESL is much more challenging than people think it is when they first start, and the students can tell if you aren't there for the right reasons. I recommend Cambly if you are genuinely interested in either teaching ESL, or international/intercultural communication in general. I do wish they'd raise the pay, but I also went into this knowing that wasn't going to happen.

I love making a difference in someone's life.

The pay is low and the technical problems can be frustrating. However, you have flexibility. You can work when you want. You get to speak from people all over the world. You truly make a difference.

low pay

low pay, easy work. you are paid 10.20 an hour to keep students interested, keep a conversation going, go through lesson plans. There are also a lot of children that show up in Cambly adults lessons.

Awful, low pay

Awful, low pay. Avoid. This platform is only good for someone new to teaching or in between jobs. Do not expect fair pay. Do not expect to be treated fairly. Expect adult men from other countries to send you creepy messages. If you teach on Cambly Kids, beware that they do not care about you. They will fire you for the slightest mistake or for no reason at all. If you want to be a cookie-cutter teacher then it's the perfect platform for you. Good Luck.

Pretty darn good, save for the pay. The pay is ok. If it was great. I would stay and build a nest ;)

Incredible student base. The students are eager to learn English and very respectful in general. The pay is $10 hourly for Cambly 18+ and $12 hourly for CamblyKids. The bookings are consistent (if you are a good, conscientious teacher). There is also a "Super Tutor" tier which has requirements like establishing/ Maintaining a 4.9-star rating and doing some one-off promo vids. Support is good. The worst thing is internet glitches/ drops during a class. All in all, I give it a 3.6 star-rating. If the pay was $3-5 more an hour I would give it a 4.89, nearly Super-tutor rating ;)

Pros

Make your own schedule.

Cons

Internet challenges/ call drops.

Stay away if you can

The excitement of meeting worldwide students is well worth working for Cambly.

Cambly is composed of fun work and flexible timing. The staff is always kind and helpful when I request assistance regarding students, lessons, or personal requests. Cambly is a fantastic company!

Absolutely Terrible Place to Work

Cambly advertises itself to teachers as a place to teach conversational English, but advertises to students as an all-inclusive English learning experience with tailored lessons. They then charge students through the nose, and pay teachers absolute pennies. There is no job security, even for highly rated and long-term employees, and no way of ever making more than the pittance they pay you at start, even if you perform well. This company is an absolute wart on the face of the education industry, and both teachers and students deserve better.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Low pay with no chance of advancement, poor communication

Flexible, but not good pay

The best part of the job is that you get to make your own schedule and work as many or as little hours as your want. That being said, the pay isn't that good and you have to work a lot of hours to make good money.

Very nice

I definitely recommend. Theres no shortage of students and the company often does bonuses. One con is that the pay is pretty low so I would definitely have a back up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambly. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits