Cambly
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100

Cambly Employee Reviews

As above.I mostly get reservations from kids.But teaching kids is pretty intense and so it can get pretty tiring. That's when your 0.17c a minute becomes a bit of an insult.I'm passing the time over the Covid dry spell.
Pros
Freedom to manage your hours, No-one looking over your shoulder like with the Chinese schools.
Cons
Terrible pay and terrible pay, the odd caller may give you a bad review which will affect your ratings which then is not good.....
Teaching for Cambly is an easy side job to earn some extra money. It is hard to put in too many hours, though, as most students just want to have a conversation, and having conversations for several hours in a row can be quite exhausting, particularly since many students don't talk so freely and want you to lead the conversation. I used the platform to get used to teaching English online, and for that purpose it was great. If you get regular students it's a much better experience than just Priority Hours, in my experience. PH are very exhausting for me.I think of it as a great way to turn extra free time into money.
Pros
Complete flexibility, relaxed work environment
Cons
Low pay, No advancement, Occasionally not-so-nice students
Pros:Flexibility. Can set your own schedule to have students reserve, or just make yourself visible to be connected with random callers. Learning about different cultures and from students around the world is really cool. You find the right match of students, and you can have enjoyable conversations and possibly make true friends.Cons:Cambly is not making clear to their students whether this is an English instruction site or a site for casual conversation practice. Many students come wanting the former, when the latter is what Cambly says they're about. Thus, students often want tutors to teach them English which is work way beyond the pay grade.Flashers and perverts can happen, and aside from giving you an option to ban them from the platform, Cambly does not do enough to prevent this.
Everything about this job is a mystery. Management is clueless and deceitful. You meet a few good students, but most callers are only looking for a way to become fluent in English without having to work for it. A few are perverts flashing their body parts. On top of all that, pay is criminally low.
Pros
paid every Monday
Cons
everything else
Great flexibility, good tutor support, and nice to meet kids in other parts of the world. It's very low stress work. Easy way to fill in gaps in your schedule.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay, Potential safety issues but not as much with the kids, Not a fan of the platform but it's not difficult
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
People have mentioned the low salary but I do the job for the flexibility and basically for walking around money. I have been staying with my wife's family for a while whilst we have work done at our place and all I took with me was a laptop. I have regular private clients in Vietnam who I got through my website; www.spoonerism.net but I only teach them during the day. To fill up the wee small hours, usually between about 11pm and 2am I teach for Cambly. Generally speaking, it will be either people in Saudi or people who seem to fancy a chat. You do get people calling just to swear and spit at you in front of their friends but they usually stop when you laugh at them for spitting at their own screen. I find it very relaxing!
Pros
Do it whenever you like
Cons
None for me
Erg leuk om te praten met mensen van allerlei streken, maar niet geschikt als serieus werk of inkomen.
Pros
flexibel, werk vanuit huis
Cons
weinig geld.
Enjoy the freedom and worldwide students. Would be nice to have direct contact with customer service. The materials provided are great. And being able to pull material from the internet is outstanding.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Working for Cambly has been a Joy. At first I had a few problems with the platform, It didnt take me long to get ued to it. Impressing your students and finding out what you are Best at teaching is the key to sucess on Cambly. The platform has been updated so its easierbfor tutors to prepare for lessons. Sometimes there are offers to make extra money. Biggest bonus they pay weekly and on time! Plus you get to meet wonderful people from around the world.
Pros
Pay on time. (weekly) meet new students
Cons
Only pay by PayPal
Cambly is great if you’re looking for flexibility and interesting work. The pay is low, but that’s the price you pay for markets outside of the young Chinese learner and business student markets. Cambly does a better job than most at diverse inclusive hiring. Unfortunately, it’s up to the students to make teachers successful, which puts some tutors at a disadvantage. The free trial feature means that many students are not serious, rude and tutors being flashed used to be a common occurrence. It’s sometimes hard to work at a company that relies totally on student ratings for teachers, as tutors were often punished for things like bad student internet or other factors beyond their control.
Pros
Excellent flexibility, rewarding work, fun job
Cons
Pay, students can be abusive
Cambly is nice to work for because you can set your own hours and you get to meet people all over the world. There is curriculum provided for both the adults and for the cambly kids students.
Weekly pay and an easy enough job. You get to meet great people from all around the world! I just wish it was an hourly pay instead of by the pay by the minute.
Pros
Weekly pay. easy enough
Cons
Pay should be more
Cambly is a good entry level online teaching job. It offers complete flexibility in hours and does not require teachers to market themselves in order to find students. Students can be sent to the teacher or the students can request lessons with their preferred teachers. Cambly provides lesson materials, and they are gradually improving them. The main drawback is the low pay. Teachers are paid per minute that they interact with students. If it is a slow time, teachers might find themselves waiting online without compensation. Although this rarely happens, this can make the already low hourly rate even lower. Help is provided when teachers have problems but they are quite slow to respond. An automated message is sent and often in order to get a solution you must reply to that message.
Pros
flexible hours, no need for preparation, weekly pay
Cons
low pay, slow response to problems
I was a tutor for 9 months on Cambly, working an average of 8 hours a day. I had many, many repeat students. But I woke up one day to find that Cambly had fired me with no explanation. Would not recommend for any serious effort to make money. Know that they will give you no job security and no possible raise.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no job security, pitiful pay
Great employer, flexible schedule, higher tutor pay would make this a five star job.You set your own schedule and the pay is decent for the type of work, but could be a bit higher.
Pros
Work your own schedule
Cons
Pay could be higher
What I like the most about Cambly is the flexibility it allows me. I wouldn't recommend it as primary income, but it's an excellent way to earn some extra cash and talk to people from all over the world.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Many of the students have no intention of learning or practicing English. I often had to deal with people using profanity and vulgar behavior. The company has an option to ban the students from seeing you or using Cambly. However, it is discouraged to use and often times reversed by management. I spent my time catering to each student allowing them to choose what or how they would like to learn, and after choosing what to do in the lesson they could then write poor reviews. It is impossible to please many of the people. The pay is $10 an hour however, most of the time you dont work that long. Students often complain about the Cambly platform. In most state min. wage is more than than 10 an hour so this payrate is not even legal in the usa. I also would not recommend this compay to a friend especially any females. It isnt a safe place to work. I dont think that this Company will last and its seems to be an agreement with the reviews that this isnt a very good company to work for. Save yourself the hassle and try one of the other many GOOD online teaching companies
Pros
hours are hours a day and they pay once a week
Cons
poor management, horrible pay, not enough students, lack of safety, daily harrassment especially woment.
I have been working for Cambly on the adult & kids side for close to 2 years now. I am not new to online teaching, having worked for several big name Chinese companies for years prior to making the switch. While the pay is lower at Cambly, what really drew me to the company is the culture. I have students from all over the world! All the lessons are one-on-one, and you decide which students you take on. You have full control of your schedule, and will not be penalized for the ocasional emergency cancellation. I also respect that Cambly only hires on an as-needed basis. This ensures that there are enough students for all tutors. I also appreciate that no one tutor is given preference over another. Students choose their tutor themselves, resulting in regular long-term students that are a joy to teach! Lastly, I find that Cambly attracts diverse, helpful, and kind tutors. They are always ready to assist or share what is working for them in the classroom.
Pros
International Students & Flexible Schedule
Cons
Fixed Pay Rate
I love teaching young students on Cambly kids! There isn't any prep work and the lesson platform is your guide teaching points. I ould like to see the platform be a little more interactive, but you can also share your screen if you want to enhance the lessons. The hours are flexible. You can work as little or as much as you want and it is mainly reservations. The pay is low, but if you are looking for supplemental income while homebound, it is a good alternative.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Pay
I usually try to work about 4h per day, more than that turned out to be too much for me, since the job consists of constant conversation. That said, most students already have a base knowledge of the language with some of them being at intermediate even advanced levels, which makes the communication relatively easy and often times very interesting. Most students only wish to practice their speaking skills. There is plenty of students so I am able to work literally 24/7. There is no minimum hours requirement. After a while tutors "make friends" with some students and end up talking to them regularly which is a very nice byproduct of the job. Tutors have the same rights as the students. If you don't feel comfortable with a student or simply do not wish to talk to a specific person you don't have to, and no one will ask you to explain yourself. Though that happens very rarely as most students are really nice and a pleasure to chat with. The management is very helpful and understanding. The workplace culture that I am experiencing at Cambly makes me believe that they are trying to follow the management example of famous big companies like Google, Facebook etc. which have a reputation for creating this kind of a friendly, positive atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is that the salary isn't high enough so I have to work more hours to make a decent pay. This kind of work is constant. It's not like an office job where you can take a mental break every now and then. Once you start working it is non stop until you go offline. That part makes it a bit harder to work longer hours. - more...
Pros
Lots of work, great students, positive and friendly work environment
Cons
No chance for advancement or a pay raise
I have been working for Cambly for over a year and I really love it. I have met some amazing students from all over the world. I feel like I’ve made a difference in many of their lives and they have definitely made an impact on mine. I love the flexibility of this job and I love what I do. I wish the pay was higher, and I wish there were fewer technical glitches, but overall this job has been wonderful for me.
Pros
Flexibility, Set your own schedule
Cons
Low pay
  1. Employee Reviews