Cambly
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

Cambly Employee Reviews

You get to meet new interesting people every day

Pros:. Meet new, interesting people every day. One lesson you're speaking with a surgeon from Brazil, the next you're speaking with a student from Cameroon. The majority of the students make you feel appreciatedCons:. The wage is very bad. But if you live in a low-cost country or city, it can be good. It is bad based on my location. No benefits.

Pros

People

Cons

Wage

Relaxed and flexible qork schedule

Cambly is a great company to work for. It's relaxed and flexible with a schedule that you can alter whenever you like! You get to speak to people from all around the world so it's a lot of fun!

Cambly insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Dream job if you don't need money XD

I love everything about the job except the pay. Part of me feels like the pay is fair considering you don't have to be a certified teacher but being that I am I often feel grossly under-compensated. It takes a LOT of hours to make a living and you will need a super charged social battery.

Flexibility

Depending on the amount of time you put into it, working at Cambly can provide a decent side hustle. I like how you have complete control over your schedule. I enjoy meeting new people from around the world which often leads to developing friendships with regular students. The pay rate is very low. Hopefully they find more ways for tutors to increase earning potential.

My dream job

A typical day at work - frustratingWhat I learned - Cambly deceives both students and tutors.Management - cluelessworkplace culture - no communication or support for tutorshardest part of job - working your tail off only to see your rating drop and for criminally low payenjoyable part of job - helping the rare callers who are really serious about learning English

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

everything else

Did me a service in between jobs but otherwise awful.

1. Earn less than UK minimum wage.2. Paid by minute. Means you nearly always earn even less than advertised.3. Unhelpful staff geared towards students and no regard for tutors as new tutors come everyday.4. Very little pay for last minute cancellations.5. Students rate you and this can lead to you getting less bookings.6. There's way more stuff but I cant remember.7. Don't get a job with Cambly if you can avoid it. You have no job security and the money is terrible.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Everything else

Bad Pay, Bad System

I think the worst part of Cambly is the system itself. Priority Hours are atrocious. They have random people calling in with long numbers and no profile picture. It makes you not comfortable to answer the call without any information about the student. They expect you to answer those calls or you will be released from Priority Hour, even if you're waiting on a reservation. I think there should be some leniency in that. The pay itself could be so much better. They should be able to offer raises to teachers who have been on the platform a long time, have had no infractions, and are very well-liked by the students. I do like that my schedule is always booked. So if you're struggling with bookings on one ESL website, you could try this one to fill the slots in your schedule.I also like meeting new people from around the world and helping with their English. My biggest issues are the pay and their faulty system. That's all.

Pros

Flexible, Easy

Cons

Bad pay, Can't choose students

Flexible work hours

Cambly is a great way of meeting different people who could possibly have a different way of living than yourself. One of the many perks of working there is being in charge of your own schedule.The pay is not one that you can live on if you have too many expenses, but it's all up to you and bookings how much you'll make.

Great experience, minimal pay

I love this job because I get to talk to people all over the world and learn about their cultures while I'm helping them with English conversation. I also love that I work whenever I want to with no minimum hours.The pay is minimal.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Learning about other cultures

Awful company

This company is atrocious. Do not work at Cambly! their lack of transparency is terrible. The pay is really poor and thr bosses are awful.AVOID CAMBLY!!!!

Poor petty money starved donkeys

Petty company third world standards. They dont respect teachers and rules penalize without proper hearing. Avoid at all cost. Their students misbehave and they don't take your side. The student has 100% control and the students are based in Middle East and they talk about religion and not about education. It is very difficult to keep their students happy for a very experienced teacher such as me.

Flexible and remote

It’s flexible and fun. Bookings are come and go but you had more flexibility you may be more successful. I wish it paid more.I love meeting new people and seeing people from all over the world. It is exciting and so neat. Some days are busier than others.

Pros

Flexible, remote, fun

Cons

Pay

Everything I ever wanted in an online company

All my life I had been looking an online company with low pay, incompetent management, and a worthless and unfair rating system. I'm glad to say I found all that and more with Cambly! In a typical day at work you can meet a caller who displays his genitalia on camera, someone else who can barely speak English but expects you to make him fluent in one 30-minute class, and another person who only answers "yes" and "no" to every question. What diversity! The management does a great job of advertising to prospective tutors that all they have to do is have conversations with non-native speakers while advertising to prospective students that all tutors are highly qualified professionals who will fulfill all your English-learning needs for 17 cents per minute of pay. Cambly's "lessons" are particularly awful. Deceitful, dishonest, and despicable -- that sums up Cambly.

Pros

you get paid every Monday

Cons

everything else

Fun and easy job, bad pay

Great meeting students from around the world. There are students with a wide range of Enligsh levels. However, most students are simply looking to practice English with a native.

Good place to work , lots of new people out there to speak with

I enjoy working on Cambly, it is a fun and exciting environment, it’s safe and secure too. There are so many new students from all over the world and it’s always good to learn new things from them too. I enjoy the work I do and helping others is my main aim , it keeps me maintain a balance in my life.

Terrible company

They'll hire you for a period of time then fire you. You'll get flashed multiple times ans they won't even give you more than a 15 minute break to process what just happened. They allow students to download lessons and upload them to YouTube without your permission and will completely disrespect you.Underpaid and under valued as a human being.

Pros

Non

Cons

The pay structure is worse than it sounds

The biggest thing to know is that the pay is per *minute taught*. That means that unless you're getting reservations, it's really easy to be online for an hour and only make $5-7 since there are gaps between students. During a priority hour, you have to be in a Cambly-approved environment (they do spot check, in my experience) and be attentive enough to accept any call that comes your way. There is no excuse not to pay tutors for that full hour, even if it means offering fewer guaranteed shifts. There are occasional bonuses (an extra $1-3 per shift), but you have to reserve those shifts early and often teach them back-to-back with no more than a 5 minute break (unpaid) per hour. During peak hours, which are when they offer the bonuses, this can be extremely draining. For comparison, when I tutored in a real center, we took 15 minutes in between students to prepare progress reports and decompress. There is also an expectation that you will work with brand new beginners or children if they reserve with you. This is a terrible system for both tutors and students, as unless you have received formal training, you probably can't give these populations an effective lesson. Sticking beginners in a video call with a native speaker is frustrating for both parties.If you don't have TEFL, or if you need to fill gaps in a more regular tutoring schedule, this is an ok gig. Otherwise, you'd be much better off going almost anywhere else where you can set your own rate. Cambly is saturated enough that I do not think the rates will increase any time soon.The only real pros are the flexibility -

Ehhh

Being a tutor has its days. Some days are very long and draining. Others are fun & the time flies by. The pay could be better but it just depends on where you live & how hard you work.

A fun place to work

I have been working with Cambly for over 2 years! Each day is different working with a mixture of students. The only downside is the pay, $10 an hour is not enough where I live.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

Awful company

The wages are poverty rate and the support and management is non-existent. There is no right to appeal and the complaints office in in the USA.It is meant to be a remote company yet there is no onus on direct communication with an individual. It is all done by bots.

Great Flexibility but Low Pay

Cambly is a great company to work with, and management is always quick to respond to your questions. They do consider Feedback from the tutors, and they work hard to make the employees comfortable. Flexibility is a plus! You work as little or as much as you want! However, the pay is low ($10-12/hour) no matter how much experience or certifications you have.

Pros

Flexibility, Great Management, Awesome Kids, High Bookings

Cons

Low Pay, No Show Classes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambly. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Cambly with

• Cambly
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?