Cambly logo
Cambly
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100Above average

Cambly Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Flexible work schedule, good second job

I enjoy talking with the majority of students, the difficult ones are far and few between. I don't like the company's rating system. Tutors seem go be given no feedback about a bad review and the way ratings are calculated is not at all transparent. A reduced rating really impacts a Tutors ability to find work. Some students have unachievable expectations which are, I think, encouraged by Cambly's advertising speil and can lead to disappointment and consequent low rating.

Pros

You set your own schedule

Cons

The rating system

Love being able to work whenever I want, as much as I want.

Very unique job. You meet people from different countries all around the world. I love learning about other cultures. For the most part the students were very kind and respectful. Of course there were a few exceptions Cambly has a great way of dealing with them.

They will always take the sides of the students

I've worked for Cambly for a year now. I know a lot of people who work as tutors on there as well and we can 100% assure you that they do not care about you. The students can get away with a lot of stuff (late or no-show for reservations, rudeness, etc) with little to no consequences whilst we are the ones who suffer with the ratings and the possibility of immediate termination. I do not recommend anyone to work on here especially if you have qualifications to teach, please take your resume and go to other websites that can offer you more money per hour and ACTUALLY treat you fairly.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay, unequal treatment between tutors and students

Rewarding but low-paying

Cambly is an online English teaching and tutoring service that connects tutors to students all over the world through their own video chat platform. No prior teaching experience is required to apply to be a tutor, and it’s a great way to earn money online. However, prior teaching experience, degree, teaching certificate is helpful. Great for those seeking remote work. It's a good side hustle/side gig.The pay is .17 cents a minute, which is $10.20 per hour. Not bad if you are living and working overseas. Low if you are living in the USA.You will meet and teach people from all over the globe, mainly adults, sometimes teens and children.

Pros

Flexible hours, set your own schedule, Weekly pay

Cons

Low pay, unfair rating system, sometimes abusive students (men flashing their private parts are all too common), Sometimes unresponsive administrators.

Lots of flexibility but the pay is so low there isn’t that much incentive to do more

I can work flexibly which is what I appreciate the most, but the pay is so low that I am not motivated to go the extra mile even though I am aware that the students want to improve their English. However, as it is a conversation based platform, I don’t think that tutors should be expected to prepare in advance as we aren’t paid for any work outside the teaching hours.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Pay

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

A great second job

All in all, Cambly is great for what it truly is. And that is an opportunity to teach with an extremely flexible schedule. There is no minimum hour commitment, so you are free to teach for as much or as little as you want each week.The pay is certainly at the low-end of the scale, but the trade-off is definitely the flexibility.

Pros

Flexible schedule, interesting students, weekly pay

Cons

Takes time to build your network of students

Not bad for a return to work job

If you need a job, have been a housewife for too long, have no references, or have large gaps in your work history, this could be something to do short-term. They hire native speakers of English and let you set your own hours. The main issue is you are contract labor. So, the money is not much after taxes. The other issue no one really talks about is the fact that the students can keep the vid of your lesson and, later, put it anywhere on social media.

Pros

Work with very flexible hours

Cons

Low pay

Terrible pay and tiring, but plenty of freedom and therefore some sanity.

As above.I mostly get reservations from kids.But teaching kids is pretty intense and so it can get pretty tiring. That's when your 0.17c a minute becomes a bit of an insult.I'm passing the time over the Covid dry spell.

Pros

Freedom to manage your hours, No-one looking over your shoulder like with the Chinese schools.

Cons

Terrible pay and terrible pay, the odd caller may give you a bad review which will affect your ratings which then is not good.....

Flexible and easy work

Teaching for Cambly is an easy side job to earn some extra money. It is hard to put in too many hours, though, as most students just want to have a conversation, and having conversations for several hours in a row can be quite exhausting, particularly since many students don't talk so freely and want you to lead the conversation. I used the platform to get used to teaching English online, and for that purpose it was great. If you get regular students it's a much better experience than just Priority Hours, in my experience. PH are very exhausting for me.I think of it as a great way to turn extra free time into money.

Pros

Complete flexibility, relaxed work environment

Cons

Low pay, No advancement, Occasionally not-so-nice students

Has its pros, but quite a few downsides.

Pros:Flexibility. Can set your own schedule to have students reserve, or just make yourself visible to be connected with random callers. Learning about different cultures and from students around the world is really cool. You find the right match of students, and you can have enjoyable conversations and possibly make true friends.Cons:Cambly is not making clear to their students whether this is an English instruction site or a site for casual conversation practice. Many students come wanting the former, when the latter is what Cambly says they're about. Thus, students often want tutors to teach them English which is work way beyond the pay grade.Flashers and perverts can happen, and aside from giving you an option to ban them from the platform, Cambly does not do enough to prevent this.

You get paid, that's about it

Everything about this job is a mystery. Management is clueless and deceitful. You meet a few good students, but most callers are only looking for a way to become fluent in English without having to work for it. A few are perverts flashing their body parts. On top of all that, pay is criminally low.

Pros

paid every Monday

Cons

everything else

Students

It's great to meet people from other countries. Very gratifying but the pay is very poor and they haven't increased pay in the 3 years I've been working there.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

The pay

Flexible

Cambly is good for me. The work is very flexible. Fellow tutors are supportive via social media. Tutor support team very supportive and respond quickly. No complaints.

Pros

Flexibility

Fine and flexible

Great flexibility, good tutor support, and nice to meet kids in other parts of the world. It's very low stress work. Easy way to fill in gaps in your schedule.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay, Potential safety issues but not as much with the kids, Not a fan of the platform but it's not difficult

Great for making a few extra dollars, but some clear problems

To begin, I would like to mention I am a professional teacher with an education degree and many years of ESL teaching experience overseas and in Canada. Cambly was great at first. I quickly taught many students and made some fast cash. The weekly payments are great. Most students are great and looking for friendly conversation, then there are some not-so-great students. Often times you will get very short calls and hang-ups from students who are possibly using free trials. I have had one or two students who struggled in English and became frustrated and left, also giving me a bad score which drastically hurt my tutor score, therefore, making it harder to attract new students. There is not much help for this, you just have to hope no one gives you a bad review! And lastly, the pay is the lowest of all online teaching platforms. You are only paid for the exact minutes you talk and so if you are not getting student after student calling you then you will be making less than 10/hour. Most student sessions are 30 minutes, so I think of it as 5 dollars a lesson or 2.50 for 15-minute lessons. Which is just way too low. But, as I mentioned, some of the students are great and really enjoyable to chat with. I guess the main point is, don't quit your day job. This is a fun way to make a little extra cash on the side. Don't expect to pay your bills with this job.

Pros

Fun, easy and enjoyable chatting with students from all over the world

Cons

Low pay, no support, and unfair rating system for tutors

Fantastic flexability

People have mentioned the low salary but I do the job for the flexibility and basically for walking around money. I have been staying with my wife's family for a while whilst we have work done at our place and all I took with me was a laptop. I have regular private clients in Vietnam who I got through my website; www.spoonerism.net but I only teach them during the day. To fill up the wee small hours, usually between about 11pm and 2am I teach for Cambly. Generally speaking, it will be either people in Saudi or people who seem to fancy a chat. You do get people calling just to swear and spit at you in front of their friends but they usually stop when you laugh at them for spitting at their own screen. I find it very relaxing!

Pros

Do it whenever you like

Cons

None for me

Super flexibel, maar weinig geld.

Erg leuk om te praten met mensen van allerlei streken, maar niet geschikt als serieus werk of inkomen.

Pros

flexibel, werk vanuit huis

Cons

weinig geld.

First. Class customer service

Enjoy the freedom and worldwide students. Would be nice to have direct contact with customer service. The materials provided are great. And being able to pull material from the internet is outstanding.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay

Great place to work. Fun and friendly

Working for Cambly has been a Joy. At first I had a few problems with the platform, It didnt take me long to get ued to it. Impressing your students and finding out what you are Best at teaching is the key to sucess on Cambly. The platform has been updated so its easierbfor tutors to prepare for lessons. Sometimes there are offers to make extra money. Biggest bonus they pay weekly and on time! Plus you get to meet wonderful people from around the world.

Pros

Pay on time. (weekly) meet new students

Cons

Only pay by PayPal

Good idea- rough implementation

Cambly is great if you’re looking for flexibility and interesting work. The pay is low, but that’s the price you pay for markets outside of the young Chinese learner and business student markets. Cambly does a better job than most at diverse inclusive hiring. Unfortunately, it’s up to the students to make teachers successful, which puts some tutors at a disadvantage. The free trial feature means that many students are not serious, rude and tutors being flashed used to be a common occurrence. It’s sometimes hard to work at a company that relies totally on student ratings for teachers, as tutors were often punished for things like bad student internet or other factors beyond their control.

Pros

Excellent flexibility, rewarding work, fun job

Cons

Pay, students can be abusive

you can set your own hours

Cambly is nice to work for because you can set your own hours and you get to meet people all over the world. There is curriculum provided for both the adults and for the cambly kids students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambly. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Cambly with