Cambridge Public Schools Employee Reviews

N/a
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 18, 2019
The positive incentive is the children and hours that I currently have. The time works where I have time to run errands after work because we're an early school. The children are my strength and are the reason why I get up every morning.
Pros
Children
Cons
Salary
It a good place to work
Senior Network Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 20, 2019
There is optimum job security by in some departments there is no room for growth, no tuition reimbursement . They don't invest in their non union employees
Fun work environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLOctober 26, 2018
I love lifeguarding. This job taught me a lot. I have a new understanding for what it’s like working in a school. Working with the kids was the best part.
Pros
Having fun
ok system
Paraprofessional / O.I.I.T Support (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 13, 2018
needs more transparency and less great areas. to much toxicity amongst workers who clicked against each other. not good for professionalism and rep work was good faculty was meh
Loved the interactions with the students
Secretary to the Assistant House Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge MASeptember 5, 2018
CPS was a large, diverse population with a great number of teachers and students within the population. Staff members were extremely helpful and supportive on a daily basis and whenever special projects developed, all members were willing to assist in the task until its completion.
Pros
Lived locally and experienced a lot of different office procedures
Cons
Needed to work full-time
It was a great experience working at Amigos School in Cambridge
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 28, 2018
I was very greatful for the opportunity to join the team. I was always motivated and eager to learn about the school and the students. I gathered a lot of experience snd knowledge by working at Amigos
Pros
Salary abd benefits
Cons
No snow day cancelations
Nice people, broad student population
Special Education Tutor, ESY Program (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 26, 2018
This job was only part-time and temporary during the summer. I had one or two students at a time and was even given material to work with the students on. I would like to have a full-time job with CPS.
Pros
Materials provided
Cons
Good place to work. I just need my teaching degree.
Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, NYMarch 12, 2018
I enjoyed coaching wrestling at Cambridge but coaching isn't a steady year around job. In addition, Cambridge is fun and the atmosphere is nice and the students were a pleasure to work with..
Pros
good hoursd
Cons
not full time
Highly resourced urban school
Advanced Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 6, 2018
Teaching at the high school is a great experience and very individualistic on the pros and cons. Great resources, competitive salary and diverse student body.
Pros
salary, colleagues, resources, technology
Cons
stressful
Unfair
Kitchen Helper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 15, 2017
Many of the workers were unwilling to do certain things. They played games and didn't always want to perform their duties willingly. They disappeared when it was time to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Management staff was unfair
Great Experiences as Professional Educator
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 14, 2017
Cambridge Public Schools provided collaborative work places in each of four schools where I worked. Typical work life provided occasions to meet and share information about a variety of language and culture specific groups among educators, families, and community agencies. Each school served different socio-economic groups and families of different income levels.
The greatest challenge in my experience was to meet the learning needs of different age groups; I worked with children aged 12 through 18 years during my work life. Some of my greatest successes derived from working with educational specialists who supported my growth in understanding students' needs.
easy walk to work
Instructional Aide/Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 18, 2017
done at 2:30pm. Easy walk to work. Familiar school as I attended school also. Able to work with students from many different cultures. The only bad thing was low pay.
Pros
MTA benefits
Cons
underemployed
opinion
Special Educator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 8, 2017
A typical day is close to 7 hours of nonstop action. No rest for the weary. Zero down time. There are some opportunities for professional development classes outside of the word day. Its a very "closed door" work environment. Nobody interacts with other coworkers. Its very difficult to get to know one another because everyone is so busy completely what they are asked. There is obviously no flexibility in the daily schedule or yearly schedule.
Hardest part of the job is making sure you keep your thick skin, thick. If you let the words and actions of the students upset you, you'll be burnt out in no time.
Pros
close to home
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Fast paced environment
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 1, 2016
Fun environment to work in. Worked closely with children and parents in a fast paced environment. Helped build my interpersonal skills as well as strengthen my social and customer service skills.
Great teachers: top heavy district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 11, 2016
extremely top heavy and highly political district.
Lacks general transparency. cut throat environment with little support for non tenured teachers

Teachers are fabulous and extremely dedicated
Pros
peers
Cons
lack of transparency
Not that great!
Kitchen Helper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 31, 2016
The job is challenging. The staff is not that friendly and there is no room for growth. There was no 6 month review and there was no employer support for anything. The school staff was not that friendly either!
Pros
Free lunch, great kitchen manager
Cons
short breaks
professional School Environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MA 02141August 24, 2016
Working for the Cambridge Public School Department was the ideal job for me at the time. The interaction with students and teachers helped me to develop and expand my teaching experience. The environment and the satisfaction that I had everyday there was phenomenal and productive, everyday teaching new things to the students and gaining knowledge from them as well.
Pros
Working with students one on one
Cons
End of school year
Great School System
Assistant Lacrosse Coach (Varsity) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 15, 2015
A great place to work. Very diverse and wonderful place to come to work for everyday. One of the best school systems in the state with some of the best funding you can get anywhere. Surrounded my Harvard and MIT.
Productive workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, NEAugust 13, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company I loved the people I worked with we always made work fun. we did fundraisers etc...
Pros
free lunches
Cons
knowing the students
Wonderful school with many resources
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Rindge and Latin SchoolJuly 29, 2014
Cambridge Public School has a lot of resources. There are many great programs that students can take advantage of throughout the school year. There are also many clubs and sports.
Pros
Wonderful rapport built with staff and students
Cons
Not enough prep time