Cambridge University Press & Assessment

Cambridge University Press & Assessment Employee Reviews in New York, NY

New York, NY12 reviews

Cambridge University Press & Assessment insights

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Overall satisfaction

Great workplace culture

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a great team of people to work with. The hardest part of the job was getting management to listen at times.

Pros

Great benefits, good work culture

Cons

Management not listening

Great place to work and freelance for

No complaints. Managers listen and provide feedback, and the work is both interesting and purposeful. Schedules are sometimes tight, but that's the nature of the beast these days.

Great people, not so great everything else

I loved most of the people I worked with here. I enjoyed the job. But it got monotonous very quickly. I was given a lot of easy projects that left me feeling bored. My 5 hour total daily commute was not worth it. My entire pay check went to paying commuting costs ($500 a month) and student loan payments. The people are great though. Workplace culture not so much.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Low salaries

RIght job for the right person

If you are willing to drive all over multiple states for hours at a time for a few interviews every day, then this is the job for you. You must already have sales training, however, because you will receive none.

The best place I've worked in

Cambridge has a great management team, a family like culture and employees who truly love what they do. I'd recommend working for them even though growth may be slow.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Dedicated employees

Sincere and dedicated group of colleagues, taking pride in their work. Not much opportunity for training in outlying area offices.

Empire Struck Down

Cambridge University Press is in a period of strife. What used to be a powerhouse academic publisher, and one I was proud to work for, is now struggling from an identity crisis and poor decision making by its upper management. Investments in poorly implemented systems and misplaced partnerships has drained the assets and lifeblood away so as only a skeletal crew remains after the mass layoffs in NY. It will be years before its back on its feet, but I'm afraid that management will have to be taken out to pasture before anything drastic happens to build up morale among the remaining staff. If you want to work for an innovative and exciting publisher, this is not the place. You'll be disappointed by all the bureaucracy that keeps anything cutting edge from actually moving forward. Same old, same old...

Pros

great colleagues

Cons

bloated upper management, hierarchal and bureaucratic culture

Good for true intellectuals only

It is a good work environment, CUP is about learning if you are intellectually curious, driven and a hard worker. If you show initiative, work hard and want to grow you will be supported. We often work in teams. Atmosphere is very focused around the UK, and NYC needs to deal with it. Internal communications are sometimes very focused on UK (headquarters), not as open / often as employees wish. We are the oldest publishing house in the world grounded in real traditions yet dealing with many very modern publishing issues of today - (both internally and externally) it's a challenge.

Pros

Colleagues are generally very nice, prestige of Cambridge University, brilliant colleagues to work with

Cons

Low pay, internal communications sometimes confusing/ lacking

productive

ok place to work co-workers are nice They operate by the rules for the most part. Very relaxed environment to work in. Supervisor and co workers were very friendly.

Pros

at place to work. .... Pros – It's a lay back environment, the co-workers are nice and friendly.

Cons

low payroll dollars

Journals and Book/Psychology and Science

This was the first job I had out of college and master's degree. It was an important one, since it taught me how to connect and collaborate with people, but also learning the publishing process, from queries to publication. I loved working with the other young people at the press and working with the authors who tried to get publication with us.

Pros

On-site learning

Cons

low salary

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cambridge University Press & Assessment?

Intellectually stimulating

Learn new something everyday. Author management and great group of co-workers.

Good work environment

This is a good place to work but there is not a lot of new technology. It's not a challenging job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambridge University Press & Assessment. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?