Camp America Employee Reviews

Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 6, 2018
Typical day, waking up the children, taking them to breakfast, keeping them entertained throughout the day and taking to them to their activities, then taking them to dinner and putting them to bed.
Pros
Always surrounded with people
Very fun and educational
Camp Counsellor / Operations assistant (Former Employee) –  tennesseeJanuary 2, 2018
Camp America is a great opportunity for young british people to learn about the American culture whilst travelling and having a lot of fun all summer long.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  USAJanuary 2, 2018
I’ve experienced a lot on New and different things whilst working at camp, such as time management, being able to work with children all day and being able to work long days.
Pros
Travel to America
Cons
working in heat
Camp Wahnee
General Counsellor (Former Employee) –  USDecember 18, 2017
Great company
Best experience of my life
Would recommend anyone in University or having a gap year to take advantage of this opportunity.
Food and living costs included.
This is more of an opportunity and experience, it isn't about the salary.
Best time of my life
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 14, 2017
Spent 4 summers doing Camp America, had the best time, learnt so much and made friends for life, spent some much time playing and learning from other staff from all over the world.
waking up and the brake od dawn and getting the kids to climb a mountain to see the Sun Rise, some of these things that you can hold onto for the rest of your life.
The camp I was at was in North Carolina , love the place, it was out in the sticks but what made it was the diversity of the staff and the management was excellent. I went back for four years cause I had made friends for life and the kids there were normal , down to earth and you could see the change that you could give them through talking and being there.
Pros
traverling after wards was the best..Being in America..
Cons
nothing..what could be bad ..
Fantastic Experience
Kid Counselor (Former Employee) –  MaineOctober 1, 2017
I would recommend doing Camp America to anyone. Although the pay is low (its referred to more as pocket money that salary) the job is amazing. Working abroad in a summer camp is something everyone should try.
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 26, 2017
I had an amazing time working for this company. A typical day at work would be participating in many different activities throughout the day including, swimming, kayaking, archery and many more fun activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it hardly felt like a job, i also enjoyed the fact i made so many amazing friends from this opportunity. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with either difficult or home sick children as sometimes it can make an impact on you and you can't let it affect you in the work place.
Pros
Amazing activities
Amazing summer.
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 25, 2017
Camp America was the best thing I have ever done. I learnt so much about myself and the different culture. I worked at the waterfront which in my opinion is the best job at camp. Who doesn't want to be driving a boat for 7 hours a day?! 👌🏽
Pros
Amazing long lasting friendship with co counsellors and children alike
Cons
Wage is horrible considering you are Technically working 16-18 hour days
Amazing Opportunity
Riding Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2017
Camp America is an amazing way to work and learn in America and give you the opportunity to work at camps across America. It normally takes place for 3 months over the year from June to August.
Pros
Free food and accommodation in the USA
Cons
Only for 3/4 months
Fun workplace
General Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, Maryland, USASeptember 11, 2017
The job at camp was amazing, waking up in the morning getting the children ready for a fun and exciting day. It was a life changing experience which made my outlook on life so much better.
Pros
Experience, making the children smile
Cons
Long hours (24 hours a day, 6 days a week)
Great place
Lifeguard and Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Virginia, USASeptember 2, 2017
Would highly recommend this company. Gives you opportunities to travel and meet people from around the world. The skills you gain from this are ones that will benefit you in any position.
fun workplace
cam counsellor (Former Employee) –  americaAugust 6, 2017
Camp america is a fun and creative company to work for, however the hours are very long and you constantly need tone aware of your responsibility to create a safe environment for the children in your care.
Pros
free food and accommodation
It wasn't what I expected
Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 12, 2017
I thought I'd have the summer of my life. On my second day I wanted to leave. They don't tell you the nitty gritty bits of the job. The long hours the cleaning of toilets and heavy lifting. Hardly get any rest. Kids keep you up. Bugs everywhere physically and mentally draining. I would do my research before going. I paid so much for it and don't get anything in return neither money or experience. Think twice before applying. If I knew it was such hard work I would not have applied. They lie to sell you this amazing American Dream. It's nothing like that at all. It's hard work the living environment is horrible and can make you Ill. I had no fun at all. The staff politics and drama exists as usual. I got placed on a camp, where I was so far out couldn't do anything on my days off. They didn't host for us to live with families properly. Only had one day off Saturday not a full weekend. It was every other week. So it was camp 24/7, did not enjoy myself at all I was hoping to see America on my days off, didn't get to do that at all! The staff were so disorganised with hosting for international staff. Waste of time and waste of money wish I didn't do it, honest review.
Pros
Free accommodation
Cons
Hard work
General Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2017
In the summer of 2016 I spend 2 months working in a Jewish Summer camp
for children. This was something I had never done before that turned out to be
one of the best experiences of my life. I was a counsellor for many children as
young as five years old. I gained many life lessons from my time working in
the states and skills that will stay with me throughout my whole employment future.
Pros
Learning new skills, working in a difference country
Cons
Only lasted 3 months
camp america
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Camp America Michigan /rhode islandMay 24, 2017
toking after children on camp delivering activities giving them parental support in ther 8 week stay
how the differs country live there lives fishing kiaking dancing drama archery wind surfing
camp leaders/management went above and beyond
hardest part of the job was dealing with different issues everyday
the most enjoyable part of the job was a life time experiance that broadend my horizons to travel
Pros
travel
Cons
being away from home for long periods of time
Not the best experience
Arrivals Hotel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 13, 2017
Staff was way too small for the job. Was hired under the impression I would work in admin, but wound up having to pick up and drop off participants from the airport.
Productive great experience fun packed time
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 12, 2017
Camp America was a great experience learning new things and ensuring children of all different abilities enjoy there time at camp. Equality and diversity was promoted throughout my time at camp
Amazing experience and met some incredible people
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 23, 2017
Camp America was the most incredible summer. I gained so many skills and recognised that even though hours may be long, you can still enjoy working if you put your mind to it. The work environment was nothing I'd ever experienced before but I quickly came to love it. Staff were very inclusive and supportive of one another and we often worked as a team in order to make sure the children were having the best time as well as achieving our personal and joint goals.
Pros
Working in a beautiful location
Cons
Long hours, away from home
Life experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Paradise texasFebruary 3, 2017
You will learn what actually being human is.And what sorts of abilities you are filled with.You will figure out how to be positive and happy.It was an amazing experience.
Pros
Living coat included.
Cons
healthcare
cray life
special need Voluntary Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 14, 2016
it was the most crazy time I lived over there cuz they were making allot of mistakes by judging on people and the basic weather it was scary for me until now