Camp Pontiac Employee Reviews in Copake, NY

good people terrible place and management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJuly 17, 2018
The owners of the camp are profit driven, and create an illusion for the tours to attract new customers. There are very returning campers to become counselors due to the poor upper management. As a staff member, my fellow counselors and I were lied to and our happiness was never a concern. I found those who returned summer after summer were there for the memories they made with the people they've met. Very few enjoy their time working. Aside from that, pay is average for summer camp and the food is bad.
Great Kids but terrible experience
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJune 29, 2018
I loved my cabin of kids but was treated terribly by head staff. The administration would only smile or wave if there was a camper with you. The retention rate for counselors is very low and there is no accountability for campers actions regardless of their age. Pay is average for a summer camp, but would highly recommend working at a different camp. Was a very sexist workplace -I also got a terrible case of bronchitis while at the end of camp and was told I could not see a doctor - it took me over 6 weeks to recover. The only pro was the children and fellow counselors.
Pros
The kids are great, friendships
Cons
Treatment, sexist, low pay
Fun work environment, with long hours
Tennis Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJune 5, 2018
While the environment at Camp Pontiac is a fun one to be immersed in, the hours are extremely long, and the pay is quite minimal. Since Camp Pontiac workers are on contracts, they do not receive proper compensation for all of the hours that they put in.
Camp
Camp Counselor/Football Director (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYMay 1, 2018
Cool place to work. enjoyed working with the kids and meeting so many people. You gain great experience and diversity within the job. would recommend.
Counselor at camp Pontiac
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYApril 2, 2018
A typical day at work was taking care of 10 and 11 year olds and making sure they were safe and happy. I learned responsibility and how to care for children. The hardest part of the job was the long hours with little breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship between myself and the campers.
Pros
campers, camp
Cons
food
Good Life Experience
Soccer Instructor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYMarch 28, 2018
You will meet a lot of new people and make lifelong friends. Management is tough on you though. You are responsible for children all the time and will have very limited free time as a result.
You get back whatever you put in
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJanuary 29, 2018
I've worked at Pontiac for two summers and it has been some of the best days of life. The staff is very diverse, consisting of people from all across the globe, and they somehow always seem to find the most amazing people. The camp is gorgeous and the owners are very friendly and accommodating. You work long days, but with days out and nights off it seems to balance out. People tend to complain about pay, but you know exactly what you're getting when you sign the contract. If you do what you're expected to do and communicate with the staff, you'll have a blast.
Pros
traveling on days off, friendships, connections
Fun
Basketball Specialist/General Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYDecember 14, 2017
This summer job does not pay well but it makes up for the lack of compensation for an extremely laid back environment and the daily interaction with the staff and campers is always a blast
Staff are underappreciated and overworked
employee (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYOctober 16, 2017
I would not recommend this job.
This job was not worth the amount of work, stress or time I had to put in.
I went into the job being told one thing and experienced the complete opposite.
Pros
Traveling the East coast
Cons
Everything else
General Counselor (Current Employee) –  Copake, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Working at Camp Pontiac taught me self confidence and also time management. This is what I will need when I am teacher oneday. I also liked the kids and my work-staff.
Pros
The workers, The campers, and the work enviroment
Cons
The hours and communication
fun camp for the kids; lack of appreciation for counselors
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJune 17, 2017
our day started from 7 in the morning and did not end til 10 at night. I was put with the youngest girls which were 6 and 7. They were hard to deal with at times however the part that was hardest was the pay I received. We worked constantly every day with a very short break and the pay we received did not reflect the hard work all of the counselors put in. The people who ran the camp did not even thank the counselors at the end of the summer for everything they did but managed to thank everyone else. I do miss the girls however this camp needs to fix their priorities.
Pros
visited the east coast
Cons
low pay
Fantastic for kids, stressful for everyone else.
General Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJune 8, 2017
A normal day at Camp Pontiac is jam packed with activities. It's a wonderful camp for the kids, you can honestly see the love that the camp goers and JCs have for the camp itself. Counselors who are brought in for the summer tend to have a godawful stressful time. I loved working with the kids. I disliked working for my supervisors who showed little to no respect for those that worked for them. This is a very personal review as I only had interactions with three supervisors who were not understanding folk. The owners of the camp are fantastic and the camp itself is well run.
The best summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYMay 25, 2017
Working at Camp Pontiac was the best summer job! Working with the campers at their activities made each day enjoyable. Campus is beautiful. A great eight week summer job!
Good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYApril 9, 2017
The job was good. The kids are nice. The staff should have more breaks and get paid more. If there was an issue the management did not really help. Nice campus
Camp Pontiac
General Counselor / Soccer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYApril 3, 2017
Camp Pontiac is a high end overnight summer camp in New York. I worked and lived with kids from ages 9-11. It was the opportunity of a lifetime and an experience I will NEVER forget!
Fun Work place
Lacrosse Director (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Great experience working to better myself while learning what it takes to be a parent. Located in upper New York. Great people working there. Management staff are organized and run the camp flawlessly.
Exhausting
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYFebruary 13, 2016
Work from sun up to way past sun down. The kids don't listen. At least they give you some time off each week. You're basically expected to be the kids servants, which would be fine if they were all little, but mine were teenagers. They're more than capable of getting themselves food, especially when we all have to go to the cafeteria together. Benefits include awesome coworkers that keep in touch after camp has ended.
Dream camp for children who love sports
General Counselor on Boy's Side (Current Employee) –  Copake, NYOctober 2, 2015
tHE CAMP WAS AN AMAZING PLACE. very big and fun and everyone was so nice. A typical day for me would be helping the kids during their meals, taking them to any activities they had during the day and participating with them in those activities and putting them to sleep.
Pros
spending time with the kids, being active
Cons
little pay for the amount of work done
Favorite Place on this Earth!
General Counselor/Assistant Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Copake, NYSeptember 28, 2015
The place that made me find myself. The place I can call home every summer. Amazing and supportive management/head-staff. All about personal growth and development. Such a family atmosphere. The children are incredible and it is so great watching them grow and flourish.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day at Camp Pontiac is waking up at 8 AM, getting to morning lineup by 8:15-8:20, then going to breakfast and taking kids to activities all day. I learned how to deal with kids and it made me a better person. The directors of camp are hard on us, but its our job to make sure the kids are safe throughout the summer and get home safe after the 7 weeks of camp is over. Working with my co-workers is a fun experience, you meet people from all over the world and interact and learn new things about them. The hardest part of the job is being with the kids for most of the day and hearing them whine (we get every other night off and 1 day off a week), but the most enjoyable part of the job is being with the kids. I was my kids camp counselors since they were 8-9 years and now they're 12 turning 13 and getting barmitzvah'd, so seeing them grow up is really cool (even though it makes me feel old because I was once a camper there).
Pros
Free housing and food
Cons
can't think of many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camp Pontiac. Our community is ready to answer.

Camp Pontiac Reviews by Location