Camp Pontiac Employee Reviews

Favorite Place on this Earth!
General Counselor/Assistant Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Copake, NYSeptember 28, 2015
The place that made me find myself. The place I can call home every summer. Amazing and supportive management/head-staff. All about personal growth and development. Such a family atmosphere. The children are incredible and it is so great watching them grow and flourish.
Camp Pontiac
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day at Camp Pontiac is waking up at 8 AM, getting to morning lineup by 8:15-8:20, then going to breakfast and taking kids to activities all day. I learned how to deal with kids and it made me a better person. The directors of camp are hard on us, but its our job to make sure the kids are safe throughout the summer and get home safe after the 7 weeks of camp is over. Working with my co-workers is a fun experience, you meet people from all over the world and interact and learn new things about them. The hardest part of the job is being with the kids for most of the day and hearing them whine (we get every other night off and 1 day off a week), but the most enjoyable part of the job is being with the kids. I was my kids camp counselors since they were 8-9 years and now they're 12 turning 13 and getting barmitzvah'd, so seeing them grow up is really cool (even though it makes me feel old because I was once a camper there).
Pros
Free housing and food
Cons
can't think of many
Fun workplace
Basketball Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJuly 14, 2014
Fun experience that is allowing me to grow as an individual as well as build on my strengths and weaknesses.
Built Lasting Connections; Great Experience
Program Head of Hockey (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYJanuary 5, 2014
Handled day to day inventory of sports equipments. Conducted daily meetings with my staff. Programmed a schedule fitting to the campers and employee needs.
I learned about the importance of flexibility and being able to adapt to specific situations. If someone is injured, if one of my staff skips a work period, or if there are any safety violations occurring.
The job was fast paced. I enjoyed being a part of something that everyone cared about and always tried to improve. This was definitely a memorable experience and it felt great starting as a hockey specialist and working my way up to director in 2 years.
Working at a camp
Outdoor Adventure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYAugust 22, 2012
Your day started at 8am and ended typically at 11:30pm. We woke up got the kids ready for the day and then I went to my specialty area.
I learned that I can deal with and handle a lot more then I thought was possible. Working and living with kids can be a real challenge.
My specialty area head was amazing to work for. He was the best boss I have ever had. My group leaders were a little less so. They seemed disorganized at times.
My co-workers are a huge part of why I stayed the entire summer. They were great.
The hardest part of the job was living with kids 24/7. They suck the energy out of you.
The most enjoyable part were my co-workers. They are all amazing people.
Working at a Camp...
Outdoor Adventure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Copake, NYAugust 22, 2012
A typical day started at about 8am and ended at 1130pm. You got the kids up and ready. Then I went to my specialty. It was hard work taking care of kids 24/7.
I learned that I can deal with a lot more then I ever thought was possible. Living with children is a challenging job.
My specialty leader was amazing. He was probably the best boss I have ever had. The group leaders were ok. A little flakey at times.
My co-workers were what kept me going. They are all amazing people to work with.
The hardest part of the job was never really having time to your self.
The most enjoyable part was all the amazing people I met.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camp Pontiac. Our community is ready to answer.

Camp Pontiac Reviews by Location