Camp Walt Whitman Employee Reviews

Unfair treatment of new staff vs returning staff
Camp Craft Hiking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHNovember 9, 2017
Camp Walt Whitman had a tendency to treat returning staff far better than new staff, particularly if the staff had once been a camper. There was preference given to days off, pay, and compensation for materials bought for camp.
Excellent Work enviroment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHOctober 25, 2017
I loved working at Walt Whitman and if it was a year round job I would still be there. The people are fantastic and the job was fun and laid back. We had a great team and would love to go back.
buen ambiente laboral
kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  piermont new hampshireSeptember 28, 2017
Trabajar en el extranjero trajo a mi vida experiencias conociendo nuevas culturas y gente de otro pais. El trabajo en equipo fue una parte fundamental en esta empresa.
Pros
seguro medico
Cons
horarios
Its a summer camp it has alot of fun things to do on ypur time off and they will let ypu take camp vehicles for day trips on you days off
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHSeptember 27, 2017
If you like living in the woods with friendly people who all enjoy a good time you will like Camp Walt Whitman. The work days are long and sometimes very demanding but the time off is filled with road trips hiking trips and the locals are all very friendly.
Pros
Free room and board and lots of amenities
Cons
Long work days and its only seasonal
Wonderful
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHSeptember 24, 2017
This is a great summer camp to work at. It is ideal for college students or teachers. Everyone feels supported by everyone and works well as a team. Truly feels like family.
they actually did have a ping pong table
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHSeptember 5, 2017
new hampshire for the first time was amazing. the staff and management where fantastic. typical day was up at 5 to make breakfast til ten, back to my cabin for an hour nap, then making lunch and prepping dinner,clean and done by 8 or 9... repeat.
Pros
money, experience, made long lasting international freinds
Cons
longer hours than normal, cold in my cabin
A fun filled working environment
Campcraft Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Hampshire, USAAugust 21, 2017
I take out bike trips at camp. The week starts off with training day - Assigning bikes and accessories to kids, training ride. Packing off for the trip - Packing meals and snacks as we cook on the trips. 5/4 day bike trip - the trips are 5 or 4 days depending on the location, We go from campsite to campsite and finish off at a famous location and drive back. I have worked here 2 years and never doubted my choice of work for the summer.

Everything from orientation to the end of summer olympics where the kids are divided to compete with each other for various activities is a mind blowing experience.
Pros
knowing people from various parts of the world
Cons
Busy work schedule, hence less time to converse with people
The Greatest Job Ever
Cabin Counselor (Current Employee) –  Peirmont, NHMarch 15, 2017
This place isn't really a job its more of a second home. Work doesn't actually feel like work at all. Its the most unforgettable summer you will have!
It's a good summer camp.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHDecember 29, 2016
Pretty views and good working environment make camp Walt Whitman a great place to work at if your looking for a summer job. Management was fair and cared about its employees.
Best Summer of Your Life
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHNovember 25, 2016
Camp Walt Whitman is an amazing place to work! If you choose to spend your summer in the White Mountains there is no better place to work than Camp Walt Whitman. I met the most amazing people there. Once you step foot on campus you never want to leave! The people who work there just emit an amazing, fun, creative, loving and caring energy! It makes you never want to leave!
Pros
Free Room and Board/Food
Cons
No Breaks, Little time off
Amazing
Camp Counselor, Hiking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHOctober 14, 2016
Best camp to work for in the country, hands down. You wake up, wake the kids up, go to breakfast, eat with the kids, go to activties. Then lunch, more activities, then dinner. Then an evening activity, then bed. The activities are so much fun and the people are amazing!
Wonderful place to work
Certified Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 13, 2015
The atmosphere is amazing, open, accepting, and loving. It doesn't matter who you are. You will find a place here. The facilities are incredible
pro
cons
Fun job working with good people.
Night Watchman/Security (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHApril 3, 2014
I would go into work at 11pm and would man the office till 1am when the councillors were due back. After that I would patrol the grounds and make sure nothing was going wrong and to protect everyone on the grounds.
Pros
The Hours, The people.
Cons
Seasonal work.
Fun and hard working camp with lots of activities
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Piermont, NHNovember 9, 2013
Camp Walt Whitman is a very hard working camp. You have to be up by 6:30 am and be at the kitchen at 6:45 am to prepare the buffet for the campers and workers to eat. Then clean up and start prepping for lunch, till this time we didn't get a break. At 2:30 our first break comes and we can finally relax for a few hours. At 4:30 everyone was back at the kitchen for dinner. When everyone was done the kitchen staff will clean and finally are relieved from duties at 8 to 8:30pm, all this to go to bed and start the same rutine the next day. It was difficult at the beggining, but after it became a rutine. Management was a little tricky because I felt I had 4 bosses instead of one. The executive manager, my boss, the cook and the baker, all gave many ideas on how to do things; but after all the executive chef was above all. I learned to stay out of the way when they needed and act on the spot. To make decisions and to work on a fast passed environment. My co-workers were all fun to be around and they helped alot, but sometimes they needed a little bit of a push and that's where I pushed them to do their job, give ideas on how to work better, even worked as a part-time counselor in the group. With everything going fast and trying to do everything on time, the job got hard and I didn't like it so much, but at the end of the day I had the friends I made and acitvities I could go do like a constest of who can eat spicy wings the fastes (I won!), and this are the moments I enjoyed the most. On my free days all my friends would get in a car and drive out to the beach, or the mall and visit  more... places like Fenway Park. I really enjoyed my time working at Camp Walt Whitman, everyone was nice and supportive to each other. We all worked and had fun time. I learned to work on a team, to organize and gain experience which I will later use in future jobs.  less
Pros
Free lunch, activities like golf, basketball, field hockey, archery, etc.
Cons
Salary, short breaks
Fun Summer Work Place
Certified Archery Specialist/ Instructor (Current Employee) –  Piermont, NHJune 23, 2013
A typical day starts at 7:15 AM in the mountains of New Hampshire, waking up 11 year old residents and preparing them for the day. After breakfast, I go teach 4 to 6 archer lessons of various ages and skill. After dinner, I join my cabin once more for evening activities. Following a rotation with my fellow counselors, I may have the evening off at 9 PM. During the five middle weeks I have Monday off.
Pros
Room and Board
Cons
Limited and Strict Break Time
Productive and learning enviornment at a stay away camp
Cabin Counselor (Current Employee) –  Piermont, NHApril 25, 2013
*took on respoinsible roles to keep kids safe
*I learned how to handle confrontation properly
*was exposed to new surrondings
*diversity was a huge part of the working enviornment
*loved working with the staff, everyone encouraged you and helped you be a better person
Pros
enviornment, job duties, ability to try new things
Cons
pay