Canad Inns

Canad Inns Employee Reviews

Canad Inns insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive and fun work place

fun place to work, good coworkers, flexible scheduling. They had some management issues, trouble finding a good general manager for the hotel along with good managers for some of the restaurants.

Pros

discount on restaurants

The company might be ok but this hotels management group is the worst.

They had the maintenance department ran by the head housekeeper. She had no idea what doing maintenance entailed. The general manager at the time was an ex state patrol officer that only cared about trying to get into the pants of his female employees

Pros

Cons

Everything about the hotel in grand forks. Just this hotel

It’s a family friendly business and you get to see new things everyday.

Lifeguard is always fun because you get to see and talk to all new people and time flys when you work there cause your always doing something. The staff is very welcoming and I felt at home with the business

Overall horrible work experience

Here the management and employees are segregated from each other. There is no team within. The pay is horrible. One doesn't get vacation until after one year of full time employment before starting to accrue vacation time.

Helping people has to be a priority because not only are you helping the housekeepers but also the customers

Working at this company gave me the experience of a life time. I recommend anyone that is in housekeeping to work at this hotel. The managers and corporate are very respectful and understanding, even tho a job like housekeeping is in all a serious matter you get to have a little fun every now and then. I have no regrets on working at the hotel.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Worst company to work for in Grand Forks.

Canad Inns Destination Centre Grand Forks is the largest hotel in Grand Forks, but my job as a manager here was the worst experience for a job I have ever had! The corporation could care less about its' employees or following proper US procedures or even getting employees pay correct for that matter. The culture there is toxic and it starts up north in Winnipeg. They are always thinking about the bottom line and never the guest or employees. The acting General Manager was actually a decent person and he tried his best, but anyone above him were awful to deal with and would talk down to you even as a manager at this property at every given chance. The hotel has not been renovated or refreshed since opening and it is showing and to get new stuff was next to impossible. It needs to be completely refreshed for people to keep staying there! The only reason people do is the waterpark this is ALWAYS understaffed. The entire building for that matter is always understaffed and the ones that were working are overworked and underpaid. These people made the place operate, myself included, and we only ever got what we were doing wrong never what we had done right. Canad Inns needs to take a close look at why their turnover of employees and management is so high. Treat the line level employees and managers well and maybe people would stay. I was expected to run two departments under one salary for months. Never compensated for doing extra tasks or things outside my job description. If you ever work here, never volunteer to do more or they take full advantage! The only reason I stayed -

Pros

Discount food

Cons

Stress, Long Hours, Dysfunction Corporate Management, Toxic Work Culture

Dont work here

Management has no clue what they are doing. There is a reason the turnover rate at this place is probably 80%. No one other than management stays very long.

Pros

its a check

Cons

incompetence runs rampant with management.

Horrible work experiance

Down right horrible disgusting place to work. They let housekeepers go without cleaning bathroom floors, I was told to flip over bloody/stained mattresses in children's themed rooms so they could have more time to order new ones (they ordered two mattresses,the whole second floor is child themed rooms) the locker rooms by the water park wasn't being cleaned at all! Drains were clogged with hair and garbage, rust stains on the floors from water sitting for long periods of time. No deep cleaning was done at this hotel nor are rooms checked by supervisors. Housekeepers are responsible for room cleanliness at all times, supervisors do not enter any rooms after they are cleaned to make sure everything got cleaned. I was told by general manager as well as executive head housekeeper that there were NO STANDARDS to the hotel rooms so I could basically "do what I want to them.” I would not recommend this hotel to any guest or friend or relative of mine, unless it's for a place to eat.

Pros

Discounts on food/water park

Cons

Cleanliness, management, housekeeping, lack of order and structure

exciting

Free CPR and lifeguard training was really nice, they give the hours you want. Management was good with working around college student class schedules and answering questions.

Unprofessional and hard place to work

There is a lot of at work drama. Very unprofessional staff. Unfair pay, some lifeguards got paid more for no reason. A lot of work relationships which makes discipline hard.

Pros

Good pay for the job you are doing

Cons

Unprofessional, dirty place, hard to come to work each day

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canad Inns?

I believe i could of moved up

This was a job i enjoyed, i liked the diversity and i thought the General Manager was very respectful and professional. The housekeeping supervisor did not give me enough hours to make a living so i had to move on to a different job.

Productive with lots of opportunity for growth

A hard working environment with lots of challenges during busy times but also gives a fun way to work and challenge my status as housekeeping supervisor. I learned how to manage a housekeeping department and work with other branches of the company. The culture is very diverse. The hardest part is keeping enough housekeepers to manage the business. And rotating days to keep people on and off the schedule. The best part of the job is cleaning all the rooms and keeping them looking clean and maintained after a long, busy weekend.

Pros

Great discounts

Cons

Being part time with no benefits

Life Of This Job

Like every job there are good and bad aspects of everything. I was not impressed with management at all. There was very little communication between supervisors and the cooks and it made it very difficult excel between all staff members. I will say that if you show your work ethic there is very good advancements or compensation to your hard work. Some jobs cast your skills to the side till you break your back. But here your hard work doesn't go ignored. When it comes to scheduling staff members it's very unorganized but like any serving position you make due with what you get.

Pros

Discounts at the water park or other restaurant in hotel

Enjoyable job

Was located in a huge hotel. Met people from all over the world that were staying at the hotel. Had blackjack tables and pull tab gambling located inside Playmakers. The players were great tippers and nice people in general. Very nice hotel and the patrons were respectful and kind to the employees.

Pros

Dinner was provided for the crew

Cons

Long hours; an hour to get to work and home

Fun place

Some days were insanely busy but there were also nights where you only got 5 tables the whole shift. I had 2 different Tavern United managers while I worked there and the first one didn't know what he was doing really, but the second one actually had experience in business management so he was great. The place is a restaurant/bar so a very fun environment. The hardest part of working there was learning their computer system. Its a Canadian system and is very complicated to learn unless you work frequently.

Pros

50% off staff discount meals

Cons

long shifts

Fun and entertaining environment

good place to work, low pay, fun environment, warterpark maintence is taught, it's kind of a good inbetween job, if you apply have fun with it and good luck

Poor management

If you aren't even slightly like them, they will pick you apart. They were ignorant to the people that were not doing their jobs right.

Pros

Free pop, cheaper food

Cons

poor management, ignorance

Great Place to Learn New Skills

It was a great place that allowed me to grow as a person, and as an employee. I was able to learn new computer systems, how to use conflict resolution effectively, and how to talk more efficiently to anyone. I enjoyed myself, I had good coworkers, and a phenomenal assistant manager.

Fun place to work and the people are great

Its normally dead during the week so we listen and jam out to music, but on Friday and Saturday nights it gets super busy that we need a lot of staff to work. The best part is getting tips.

Bad Place to Work

Dysfunctional managers with poor pay make this job a must NOT have.

Pros

staff is fun and good to be around

Cons

bad managers, poor pay, and not employee friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canad Inns. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Canad Inns Reviews by Location