Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Management need more training
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 3, 2019
Working there was ok, but some what intimidation. Management was always working against you, not working with you. Other than that the job was great!!
Fast paced work environment
System Integration and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJune 27, 2019
Fast paced work environment that had many changes in my short time. Worked 6 out of the 7 days to to preformed testing and and to meet deadlines. Worked in many different work places.
Pros
Great Advancement
Fullfilling job experience
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJune 24, 2019
A great place to work, long hours in all weather conditions, excellent training program, excellent people who you work with, it's a team environment.
Hard work, Fair pay
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILJune 23, 2019
Its not a job ITS A LIFESTYLE.....just keep that in mind. Pays good but not for everyone. They pay you for your life and not your intelligence or skills.
Poor racist bunch of rednecks
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 22, 2019
Run away from them as soon as possible ....

Even if you act like a slave and you kiss everybody's behind you will still have no guarantee of employment
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad moral
Disgruntled employees, incompetent management
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Kirk yard, gary IndianaMay 14, 2019
Great pay and benefits, most managers know little about the railroad. Many rules that change constantly, managers are a revolving door. Hours are difficult and you will spend a significant amount of time away from home. You can make a very good living at cn. Better than most other class1 railroads. Over all, best way to keep your job is to answer when they call, show up on time and follow the rules. We all need to put the cell phones away. I here for tje $ and retirement., not because I enjoy trains. I will say I do enjoy orerating traing.
Pros
Pay, benefits, retirement
Cons
Hours, management
Great job if you've already been there for 6 years
Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 11, 2019
Seniority, seniority, seniority.... You won't have it for a long time. So if you don't mind working all your weekends and being stuck on afternoons or nightshift then you'll love it here.
Pros
Ease of work.
Cons
Union culture
Nigh Shift
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 23, 2019
Be prepared to work night shift for a while. great paying, union job. but it takes a while to work your way up to a day shift portion. this can be very difficult.
poor quality of life
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fulton, KYMarch 21, 2019
set you up for confrontation, big brother is always watching your every move waiting to jump on you minimal help once you are cut loose and its a sink or swim company
Great job
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMarch 21, 2019
Great job if management left you alone. I enjoyed my job here, got alone good with fellow employees but the hours are not great. The job is best for a single person especially if your on the extra board, you can expect to work varying hours in all types of weather. Not a job for most people.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management is always trying to find ways to get you fired.
Not alot of advancement in US
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 21, 2019
Corporate office is in Montreal, so not a lot of advancement in the US. Benefits are great, and this is a great company to work for because it is always challenging.
Pros
Benefits, great company
Cons
Lack of advancement
Nice friendly employees
Project Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 12, 2019
During my 1 year contract I enjoyed working with my team. However, the overall communication between the Homewood office and Corporate office was poor. It was very difficult reaching my manager.
Poor Management/Work-Life Balance
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 3, 2019
No training just figure it out. Hired over 1,000 consultants (US/India) for knowledge/expertise and workforce. Employees ended up training them anyway.

Nepotism at it's finest here. No work/life bal. 24/7 on call. Still into the in-person workforce. Working from home allowed only when they need you and even then may request you come into the office (Montreal or States). Bare minimum employees in the States yet core controlled in Canada the HQ.

Employees train their managers. "Fake it till you make it" commonly used proudly by management. Many come from the field/craft, lack professionalism, formal education, and knowledge of the law not to violate employee rights. Invest in new systems yet not in the development of employees for the system(s). Rely heavily on each one teach one yet managers know that elimnates job security so you will get limited info. CEO and Executive team disconnected from employees leaving middle management (VP, Sr., & Directors) too much power and control.

If it's not in writing don't trust it. If it is in writing they may find a way out of it even if it's walking on your rights. The legal system can get them to play ball fairly and they count on many not going that route. Yet better to deal with on one on one basis and hush them than the masses. Be careful of their internal HR investigations - it's also to discover any liabilities. If union - get to know non-union counterpart(s) and vice-versa.

Hours of Service (HoS) used to avoid paying overtime. Check your classification. You may be job titled one way in email and another in the
  more... real HR system since only certain job classifications fall under HoS and reported to government. Alot of smoke and mirrors in this company.

Not enrolling in benefits they promote that are cost effective to the company then you may be a greater expense/liability than they want.

It's the Railroad - retirement great if u can make or even want to. With new CEO's philosophy you have try-outs like baseball or hockey to see if you make the cut...Good Luck!
Pros
Benefits - yet Vet and govt employee benefits are better.
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours, Workload, Travel, Lack of Training, the "pro-cess"
Terrible Work environment
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ABFebruary 7, 2019
Full bulling and harassment. Poisoned environment. Intimidating managers. always looking to fire your. Always pulling you in to reprimand you for something. Always breaking the unions collective agreement.
Pros
wage
Cons
Long hours, intimidating Managers
Locomotive engineer
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 5, 2019
20 years of service it was business everyday. I enjoyed my coworkers and my ability to handle trains. My coworkers always said that I was one of the best engineers there. Time management was a very important part of my career
Pros
Salary
Cons
Time
Great Pay, Management need more training, Systems are very out dated
Extra Board Traffic Clerk (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJanuary 28, 2019
Tips
1.Joining a Union was a waste of money because its no good to you while you are on probabtion.
2. I was trained at( 2) different sites- 1st site was awesome the trainers thete was very helpful and very informative about the railroad life etc.
The second site I was trained at was horrible, i was trained by (4) different employees and out if (1) of those employees well she was so helpful and had patience. She really was a great person who allowed you to take notes and ask questions.
Those other (3)individuals i hope are retired or was forced to another desk. Those ignorant individuals were extremely childish, racist, and definitely wanted to see a person fail for no reason. It was so bad that i put in a bid for a new position which by the way i was rewarded but was not able to go right into like a new hire was able to. (Which by the way that new hire hide a specific bid so she can get off the same desk as i was on due to how she saw i was being trained) But i was hired a month before her but she won that bid immediately.
Anyhow a day before my probation ended i was evaluated by Sequia out the blue and waited till about an hour to my shift was over to have me come to her office for my evaluation and was fired. She listen to those 3 horrible people who had bipolar issues etc.
Remember what goes around comes around God dont like ugly .
Pros
Great pay, don't trust everyone, you will figure out who's real or not
Cons
Have a backup job or career just in case your let go off for no reason, save your money while you are working in the railroad, it's a Cutthroat company
Top notch pay for the industry great benefits
Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJanuary 27, 2019
Excellent pay for the job great benefits good chance for you to advance in your career probably the best railroad employer in the industry it isn’t perfect but no job is
Pros
Pay benefits vacation
Cons
Hours can be unpredictable at times
Hard working environment can be dangerous
Railroad Laborer (Former Employee) –  Flat Rock, MIJanuary 15, 2019
Great people hard working but well worth it. 40 hours a week minimum great over time, weekends off, paid vacations, great health, lots of options and the people are great and very helpful to make this a successful career.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Can be relocating jobs in diffrent areas
Good opportunity for a great job
Train Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Superior, WI 54880January 14, 2019
I recommend this job for people who have no problem working outdoors under any conditions. This job is not for people who do not like working on call
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
Inexperienced leadership at times
Productive and fun
PTC QA Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJanuary 12, 2019
Working for the CN was challenging and very rewarding. I gained a lot of knowledge working for the CN. As a signal maintainer my job was to make the railroad safe. As I advanced in the company working in the Signals and Communications call center, I was able to help others in my craft in troubleshooting problems in the field. With that knowledge, I then went on and became a part of the PTC (Positive Train Control) team. What I enjoyed most about the opportunity as the QA Test Analyst/Dispatcher, was knowing that I was helping to make the railroad safer for the company and the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight