Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

Things have changed
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYOctober 30, 2018
Over the past few years we are always on camera and always watched by management. Rules are always changing and its like we are being turned into robots. It is the feeling they have to have so many failures watching you. What happened to working and enjoying your job.
Cons
1 20 minute break in a full day with overtime. Feet hurt and can hardly walk.
Decent Pay, little else
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2018
They want all downtown Minneapolis office jobs in Canada. Management do nothing but cover up their numbers instead of running trains efficiently*. Constant hearings and suspensions who treat trainmen and labor jobs poorly with long hours, bad time off.
Poor
track laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 10, 2018
Little praise, or family life, never know when you will be going to work outside of regular day, no much for family time or days off, management shows little interest in work problems.
Strong company continuing to grow
Team Lead-Operations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 21, 2018
Good company to work for. Operations is 24/7 so lifestyle balance can be difficult. Great benefits and job security. Lots of different job opportunities available via company website.
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
work life balance in operations, takes long time to get back on job applications
good guys to work for
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  iowaSeptember 14, 2018
good guys to work for pay is good patient with new employees work long hours training is fair local jobs are stressful engines are fairly clean managers are decent
Its a good place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 14, 2018
Especially if you're single and looking for something that doesn't require a college degree but has good pay and benefits

You must be willing to travel or be away from home often, nut you'll get used to it once you meet people to potentially car pool with or learn the area
Review for over all the years employeed
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 7, 2018
I would start my day by organizing my work before starting to process my work. How to organize what need to be process first and most important. Sorting my work and distribute what is important to be process first. Helping where help is needed. Greeting co workers and helping with their needs. I don't recall what the hardest part of my job was. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping co workers solve problems, greeting people, making sure that everything we needed to do was done.
Pros
free breaks
Cons
Non Matching 401k
Horrible
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, ILAugust 29, 2018
I honestly will say this places management cares nothing about the employees they kept me away from home all week and my position was only 25 minutes from home. I asked manager to train me on my territory he told me no one was working INDEED REALLY NEEDS TO LET PEOPLE EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY
Pros
No life no training
Cons
Dont work there
Management was Horrible
Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 18, 2018
This company seems to not care about their employees, unless they are the ones that drive the trains. Every week something that was agreed upon suddenly changed out of nowhere to help the company but hurt the employees.
Forced to skip lunches, worked extra hours without pay.
Transportation
Conductor, Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 12, 2018
I have been in the railroad industry for over 20 years. Canadian Pacific Railroad and there management team from Superintendent upwards are incompetent. If it were not for the train crews doing what needs to be done this company would go under. There US operations should be rated by the FRA as a class 2 railroad. From outright liars to false reporting of train arrivals and departure times, miss management of train crews, and horrible customer service, harassment of transportation crews, the Roadforeman of engines are a disgrace to the industry. The list goes on and on. No leadership by example.
Pros
Cons
Canadian Pacific
Not a good family place to work
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2018
The company made you park the co. truck even though they required you to be on call after hours of work. You would have to drive your personal vehicle to get the company truck.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Company Truck
Great pay and benifits provided by this company.
Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
This company provided great pay and benifits, however the hours you work are long and draining. It is a 24/7 operations and they don’t care about their employees, to them all people there are disposable. When working there I enjoyed my job for the most part, and did very well at it.
Pros
Pay and benifits
Cons
16 hour shifts, lack of management and care.
Well
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55402June 15, 2018
Live to work, not work to live. It is an on call job, working in all weather. I enjoyed it immensely as I love being outdoors. There are some places you work that I wish we could carry for our own safety.
Pros
travel
Cons
travel
horrible place to work, no concern for the employees and their family life and welfare.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 31, 2018
Horrible place to work if you want a work life balance and to be treated with respect. Management only cares about meeting the numbers, regardless of how the employee may be treated in the process.
the manager is not fair
Specialist - Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 20, 2018
The manager only likes few people in the team and they go for coffee, smoking, walking... those people think they are boss too. All other people in the team feel not good. Total 9 employees in database team left since 2014. The team is only 12 DBAs.
Soul Crushing
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 16, 2018
Stay away from this company, no workplace safety, poor management, unhappy employees, worthless union, fake investigations, no work/life balance, working the 2359 extra hump when the yard is shut down on Christmas day.
Pros
Knowing managment has a special place down below
Cons
It was okay, created by moral with new supervisors and new CEO
Section Foreman (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNApril 3, 2018
It was a great place to work. Worked with a great bunch of guys that were very knowledgeable in the track department. Learned and Expanded my knowledge and track and an inspection of track. Ran a numerous amount of equipment and heavy equipment.
Terrible management
Crew Foreman (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 26, 2018
The management is out to get everyone. Even if you go in at 3am to help with an emergency they'll find a way to write you up. The company doesn't care about their workers well being. They're just out to make a buck off our broken backs.
Wouldn’t wish this company on my worst enemy
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  BensenvilleMarch 10, 2018
Walked away from 10’years at this place due to the constant intimidation and harassment. You are reminded and belittled by managers daily that you are lucky to even have a job. You are ordered to violate federal laws and safety rules in the name of productivity and on time performance. Will work you 12+ hours with no lunch period.
Pros
Decent pay for minimal physical labor
Cons
Stressful and intimidating atmosphere. Lack of generosity and compassion for employees.
Excellent pay and Benefits/High turnover rate
Transportation Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 6, 2018
Great pay and Benefits. Critically short on manpower and high turn over rate just makes it worse. Be prepared to work A LOT, 12 hour+ days are the rule not the exception.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
No work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about