Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

Horrible environment
Mechanical RIP Carman (Former Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 6, 2018
Managers in here come and go literally like changing clothes. The ones that come in have no railroad experience or knowledge about what we do. This place hires you to fire you. When management messes up “no harm no fault” when union employees make a mistake management is out to fire you, suspend you, anything they can do to get you written up! Canadian Pacific is not a railroad it is a publicly traded company filled with horrible managers that are ready to replace you. Safety is the last thing on there minds and if you have an opinion about some thing you better watch out because you will be harassed by management until they fire you or you leave. Find a American railroad to work for!
Pros
Dental
Cons
Management, Lack of Safety, Transportation, Mechanical, Lifestyles, pay, vacation
Things have changed
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYOctober 30, 2018
Over the past few years we are always on camera and always watched by management. Rules are always changing and its like we are being turned into robots. It is the feeling they have to have so many failures watching you. What happened to working and enjoying your job.
Cons
1 20 minute break in a full day with overtime. Feet hurt and can hardly walk.
Review for over all the years employeed
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 7, 2018
I would start my day by organizing my work before starting to process my work. How to organize what need to be process first and most important. Sorting my work and distribute what is important to be process first. Helping where help is needed. Greeting co workers and helping with their needs. I don't recall what the hardest part of my job was. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping co workers solve problems, greeting people, making sure that everything we needed to do was done.
Pros
free breaks
Cons
Non Matching 401k
Transportation
Conductor, Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 12, 2018
I have been in the railroad industry for over 20 years. Canadian Pacific Railroad and there management team from Superintendent upwards are incompetent. If it were not for the train crews doing what needs to be done this company would go under. There US operations should be rated by the FRA as a class 2 railroad. From outright liars to false reporting of train arrivals and departure times, miss management of train crews, and horrible customer service, harassment of transportation crews, the Roadforeman of engines are a disgrace to the industry. The list goes on and on. No leadership by example.
Pros
Cons
Canadian Pacific
Strong company continuing to grow
Team Lead-Operations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 21, 2018
Good company to work for. Operations is 24/7 so lifestyle balance can be difficult. Great benefits and job security. Lots of different job opportunities available via company website.
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
work life balance in operations, takes long time to get back on job applications
Decent Pay, little else
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2018
They want all downtown Minneapolis office jobs in Canada. Management do nothing but cover up their numbers instead of running trains efficiently*. Constant hearings and suspensions who treat trainmen and labor jobs poorly with long hours, bad time off.
Horrible
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, ILAugust 29, 2018
I honestly will say this places management cares nothing about the employees they kept me away from home all week and my position was only 25 minutes from home. I asked manager to train me on my territory he told me no one was working INDEED REALLY NEEDS TO LET PEOPLE EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY
Pros
No life no training
Cons
Dont work there
Busy and productive
Specialist, Transload (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 11, 2018
Average day full of phone calls, emails, and project work. Always busy managing Transload Operations, reports, and developing new opportunities with sales and marketing, and external contacts.
Pros
Colaborative
Cons
can be stressful at times
Great pay and benifits provided by this company.
Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
This company provided great pay and benifits, however the hours you work are long and draining. It is a 24/7 operations and they don’t care about their employees, to them all people there are disposable. When working there I enjoyed my job for the most part, and did very well at it.
Pros
Pay and benifits
Cons
16 hour shifts, lack of management and care.
horrid job
Train Conductor / Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 8, 2019
company gives no eff's for their employees. Scheduled days off are non-existant. Pay is often argued with an arbitrator (company often refuses to live up to a pre-written contract )
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no personal life
Its a good place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 14, 2018
Especially if you're single and looking for something that doesn't require a college degree but has good pay and benefits

You must be willing to travel or be away from home often, nut you'll get used to it once you meet people to potentially car pool with or learn the area
Management was Horrible
Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 18, 2018
This company seems to not care about their employees, unless they are the ones that drive the trains. Every week something that was agreed upon suddenly changed out of nowhere to help the company but hurt the employees.
Forced to skip lunches, worked extra hours without pay.
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 31, 2018
Long hours must be expected. Money and benefits are good. Lifestyle is horrible. This isn't for everybody. Common sense goes a long ways since this is a dangerous job.
Info
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYDecember 28, 2018
A lot of out of town work, a lot of time away from the family. Pay is good. Benefits are good pension is good as well as retirement. It's a company you can work for long term
Poor
track laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 10, 2018
Little praise, or family life, never know when you will be going to work outside of regular day, no much for family time or days off, management shows little interest in work problems.
Not a good family place to work
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2018
The company made you park the co. truck even though they required you to be on call after hours of work. You would have to drive your personal vehicle to get the company truck.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Company Truck
good guys to work for
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  iowaSeptember 14, 2018
good guys to work for pay is good patient with new employees work long hours training is fair local jobs are stressful engines are fairly clean managers are decent
horrible place to work, no concern for the employees and their family life and welfare.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 31, 2018
Horrible place to work if you want a work life balance and to be treated with respect. Management only cares about meeting the numbers, regardless of how the employee may be treated in the process.
Wouldn’t wish this company on my worst enemy
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  BensenvilleMarch 10, 2018
Walked away from 10’years at this place due to the constant intimidation and harassment. You are reminded and belittled by managers daily that you are lucky to even have a job. You are ordered to violate federal laws and safety rules in the name of productivity and on time performance. Will work you 12+ hours with no lunch period.
Pros
Decent pay for minimal physical labor
Cons
Stressful and intimidating atmosphere. Lack of generosity and compassion for employees.
Well
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55402June 15, 2018
Live to work, not work to live. It is an on call job, working in all weather. I enjoyed it immensely as I love being outdoors. There are some places you work that I wish we could carry for our own safety.
Pros
travel
Cons
travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.