Canal Barge Company Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun working environment
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 15, 2018
Working on the river has its pros and cons. I have met some great people. My coworkers and I joke around but ensure that the job is done to standard. We are expected to do certain tasks at certain times.
Pros
Time off, working on a boat, pay
Cons
Being away from home
Technology kept changing rapidly
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 18, 2018
At Canal Barge Company, technology direction kept changing rapidly, and projects never get completed, instead they linger on year after year, then they get replaced with a shift and life.

At Canal Barge Company, I had a wonderful boss, he was innovating, very technical and he could code. My boss allowed me to grow and bring solutions to the table and at times allowed a proof of concept. He has another 5 years left at the company before he retires. There is no one to replace him at Canal Barge Company.

I had a work life balance, others I do not believe did. Although, that never stopped anyone from needing time off or getting support with others in the department. Everyone worked well together, it is a small team.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
IT Staff not the strongest, developers do 1st level support, working after hours on call, Weak business processes. Technology decisions by non technical people.
Lead Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 4, 2018
It is a group effort to get daily operations complete. It is all outdoor work. PLCs are used for transfers of bulk liquids.
Most operations require two operators for safety reasons. PPE is required.
Pros
Outdoor work
Cons
Outdoor work
Can make good money here.
MATE/LEAD DECKHAND (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 26, 2018
Plenty of career opportunity at Canal Barge. I've made many friends out here and for the most part it is an enjoyable job. Be prepared to work out in the elements.
Great company
Captain (Current Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAMay 17, 2018
Very good company to work for. Family environment and privately owned. Wonderful job security and opportunities for advancement. Safety minded company.
Pros
Job security
Fun place to work
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 30, 2018
Safety is key good work environment . They treat you like family you can make a good career out the job if you stick to it An deal with the ups and downs that comes with any job!
Pros
Free food travel reimbursement
Cons
No cons
Family Oriented Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 10, 2017
The company is family owned and operated. Company culture, its preservation and enrichment is very important to the owners. Job security is great, job advancement is poor. There are lots of good people that work here, both aboard and ashore.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Never-ending 24-7 Industry
A hard job great exercise stay I'm shape
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LASeptember 19, 2017
The job is not for any one it's for the ones thats has a heart &desire &used to being on the water. The pay is good u get a raise when u climb the ladder
Pros
U ride. For 30 days all food supplied
Cons
Breaks when u want
good place
Lead Deck Hand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 14, 2017
Good work environment
work 12 hours a day
hardest part of job making tow
worked 30 days on and 30 days off They worked with you if you needed time off for family problems
Pros
food provided
Great company
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 7, 2017
This company is great and taught me alot and gave me a great overall learning experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Tanker man Trainee/Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Belle Chase, LAJanuary 5, 2017
Great place to work to start a career if you looking for a job and don't mind being away from home at long periods of time. Great people to be around and learn what you need to know about the industry.
Pros
Pays for all travel expenses
Cons
To long away from home
Rewarding place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 27, 2016
Fast pace,worked 12 hours a day for 28 days.You stay on the boat till your 28 days are up. Worked with 8 men. Pushed all kinds of products up and down the rivers to the Gulf of Mexico.
Cons
Work 28 days out on the waterways.
God job
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 3, 2016
A good company to work for and has good opportunities for advancement. Good benefits and they take good care of their employees and believe in quality service and commitment to safety
Got first and most valuable barge line experience there.
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
Started out pushing Liquid Cargo tows, and worked way up to first barge line tow which was 25 barge coal tow on 6,000hp twin screw open wheel towing vessel. I worked way up to Relief Captain on this vessel. Learned how to flank bends, push barge line tows, and worked way into better money. Management was super, co-workers were all great, hardest part of job was learning ropes of barge lining. Most enjoyable part of job was learning barge lining and working way up to larger vessels.
Pros
Food was fabulous, location was great, hated to leave.
Cons
Very productive great learning experience
Fruit Of The Loom (Stocker) (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAOctober 29, 2015
My responsibilities transfer petroleum based products from barge to refinery in accordance to Coast Guard regulations, tow building, line handling, making locks, stopping cuts, watch work, engine room inspections, and barge maintenance.
Pros
Great living conditions
Cons
Worked in all weather conditions
International Mate trainer
International Mate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAAugust 12, 2015
I enjoy my job as a International Mate Trainer, I use to train Mates and deckhands in Colombia. I like to work out of USA because I could get to know other places.
Great People, Good Benefits, Flexible
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 30, 2015
Overall the experience with this company was positive. They are very flexible with your work schedule, have great benefits, and most employees have been there for over 15 years which shows that it is a great place to work. There has been some change in the exective leadership team over the recent years that hasn't proven to be a positive change yet. There are some new employees at the higher level that are trying to make a name for themself and will take ownership for the work of others and then throw them under the bus the first chance they get. Although this doesn't project a view of the company as a whole, it is something frustrating to deal with.
Pros
People, Proximity to Downtown, Flexibility
Cons
Competitive Salary, Certain Employees are Power Hungry
Good company, Good employees, Great place to work
deckhand 2 (Former Employee) –  mary lucy laneApril 22, 2015
you will be expected to work hard, you will be paid decently, you will get to see parts of the country that no one else has ever thought about seeing, you will miss holidays and birthdays and family and friends, but you will get some time home with them, good benefits for your family and yourself, you occasionally with work over your 28 day hitch, you may work 56 days on the river and come home for a week or 2 then have to go right back for 40 days, and you may just get to work 28/28, you never know
Pros
food onboard the boat, cooked for you, reinbursement to the boat and for food
Cons
you will be away from home for long periods of time, you will have to work over your regular 28 day hitch occasionally
Hated being away from family.
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 18, 2014
Very hard work but loved it, just hated being away for 30+ days at a time.
Pros
People
Cons
Away from home to much
Wonderful company to work for. Felt like a big family.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chase, LAJuly 28, 2014
Love cooking for the crew. Captain was an excellent man. Enjoyed the scenery. The crew treated me like a mom figure and was never harassed verbally or physically by anyone.
Pros
scenery
Cons
28 on 28 off