Candlewood Suites Employee Reviews

Great
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  North DakotaSeptember 24, 2018
A typical day at work included cleaning guest rooms, and taking care of garbage, laundry and filling chemical bottles at the end of the day.
I learned how to clean a room in an acceptable manor. Management there was great. Very friendly and forgiving. Workplace culture was nice. The hardest part of the job was sometimes the exhausting list that was giving to me some days (lists that had over 15 rooms, while I was working by myself). The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. I made some good friends there, and they honestly made it a little more bearable.
Pros
Quiet, Short work days sometimes (if you like that), Multiple days off a week, Payed over minimum wage
Cons
No benefits, No guaranteed amount of hours
Not a bad place to work at, but wouldn’t recommend
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAOctober 13, 2018
There’s too much drama between all the workers and the management team is horrible. There is no teamwork. Refuse to give us raises of those who haven’t had their 90-day pay raise, which is unfair to those who have.
Pros
Discounts on hotel rooms for vacations
Management is mentally challenged
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 14, 2019
Mangers from Best western and Candlewood are dating and consistently do everything for themselves and nothing for employees. Sketchy and unprofessional! If your looking for a career do NOT consider this or its surrounding properties. They are sexist and only keep women in housekeeping and cater to terrible employees needs and not the ones who actually work.
Pros
Cons
Management & employee discrimination
A good place to work if you have a set schedule
Laundry Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 13, 2018
I like my co workers but the company doesn’t have any benefits, I’ve been working for them for five years and I’m only making $9.75 an hour. I can’t see myself retiring from this company, because there’s no retirement plan, no sick leave, no paid vacation, only a discount on a hotel stay.
Pros
The time, you don’t have to be to work til 10 am
Cons
No room for advancement
Not bad
NIGHT AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WA 98503July 4, 2018
A very nice place to work. You learn how to use the hotel management system, management is good if not a little nitpicky, they try to keep it relaxed among the staff but professional to the public, the hardest part is remembering all the the things when some of them you rarely have to do, and the most enjoyable part is the independence to get your tasks done in whatever order you wish more or less.
Pros
Management, culture, industry
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, hours
Great place to work!
Hotel General Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDDecember 12, 2018
Great place to work! Love IHG. Love Candlewood Suites. Love the ownership/management company I work for. Great company. Great culture. Very supportive. Challenging. Great opportunities to learn and grow. Would recommend to anyone.
worst job I've had, really glad I'm leaving
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJanuary 10, 2019
My day there starts off at 3 pm, my usual shift, I clock in. After I've gotten my things settled, I go into our system to see how many check ins we have for today. This was my first hospitality job, so naturally I learned a lot from our original manager, who left after a few months due to the establishment as a whole being inadequate and the poor pay. Once they left, every part of the job became the hardest part of the job. Candlewood used to be the best job I'd had so far, and within weeks it became a disorganized, unprepared mess. One of the few nice things about the job was becoming familiar with the guest who stayed here at weeks at a time.
Pros
snacks, free laundry
Cons
no benefits, no breaks, never worked with others
So much fun
Front Desk Agent and Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2018
I loved this job more than any i've ever had. The staff was so much fun, there was no task we couldn't handle because the team we had worked like a well-oiled machine. I loved my ops manager as well as my GM. The housekeeping staff was so amazing too. Despite working in seperate areas, the housekeeping staff, management, maintenance and front desk staff all knew eachother and had a fantastic time at work. Hands-down, the best work experience of my life. I would do it over and over again if I was able.
Pros
Incredible people, lovely guests, nice managment
Cons
Working alone in the evening can be stressful if you arent used to hotels, but if you like independent work, 2nd and 3rd shift are awesome.
This hotel needs better management
Asst Operations Mgr/ Exec Hskpr (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 21, 2018
The initial experience was great but after a buy out the conditions quickly deteriorated. The new management was unqualified and the employee suffered as a direct result.
Pros
Great guests
Cons
No health benefits
Wasnt ran right
Housekeeping/Full-Time Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 5, 2018
Got the position i wanted as fulltime laundry attendant. Enjoyed my job. Enjoyed speaking to guest but hotel had pkor management amd could not keep employees due to lack of pay.
Pros
Loved being in laundry fulltime
Cons
No benifits
Run away while you still can!
Guest service (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 16, 2018
Drew Patel is the "owner" if you could call someone who knows nothing about hospitality or management. The remodel is shotty and cheap and the lack of workmanship shows. This hotel is going down the drain and taking the staff with it. Drew Patel does not follow laws or OSHA guidelines. He is the by far the worst person to work for and will fill your day with childish, immature, unethical and unreasonable behavior. The hotel is going to lose it's IHG affiliation soon which will surely cause it to close. DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
Cons
Drew patel
Great place to work if you are a responsible adult
Assistant Executive Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I advanced fairly quickly from housekeeper to supervisor, however, that is not the typical way it works. Your pay will go up faster than your job title will. Fun, family environment. Laid back management as long as you did what was expected of you. They work well with your scheduling needs and offer other duties to maintain hours if business is slow. They went through a couple of GMs but the newest one is the best by far.
Pros
steady paced work, employer paid luncheons, fun environment
Cons
as a housekeeper your hours are never promised but that is the nature of the business
Over rated Hotel which one step up of a Motel
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJune 7, 2018
Unfortunately, you have a strip bar down the block of the hotel where every weekend you come across alcoholics, strippers, drug addicts and troublemakers.
Pros
No so demanding
Cons
Bad management, no benefits, no job security
Easy place to work but is becoming toxic
Front Desk/ Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Sayre, PAJuly 8, 2018
We are currently going through a GM change and the interim GM acts like he could care less. He isn't here as much as he should and he rolls his eyes at every question we have for him. Whether or not you like the position you were forced to do, you shouldnt take out out frustrations on the staff.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minimal Benefits, slow management reaction
I would not recommend this position
Front Desk/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COSeptember 4, 2018
The job was okay... I would not recommend this job if you want to make a career for yourself. This is a mediocre job with no benefits to support a family.
No culture cultivation. Management are young and inexperienced with people skills. Definitely no team work
FRONT DESK CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 17, 2018
I feel in order to run a successful shift you need to have open communication with your team, when you're too busy to acknowledge your employees you are demonstrating how the tone will be interpreted in the office. It is important that your team feel valued.
Pros
You can get discounted rooms
Cons
No breaks, no direct deposit, no benefits..no team recognition
Very Poor Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 30, 2018
Stressful workdays filled with constant problems, lack of support, and turning customers away. Regional manager does not seem present. High employee turnover.
Pros
Nice benefits and higher pay considering the area.
Cons
Poor management and little support.
Family run business. Since I was in sales I saw 5 general managers come through the door.
General Manger / Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 18, 2018
Great experience opening a new property. Loved working with the staff of the franchisee (IHG). Workplace culture was very difficult due to the owner of the property. Enjoyed the freedom to accomplish my sales responsibilities.
Pros
Able to be a self starter each day.
Cons
Treatment of staff
Great place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  St. James, MOFebruary 18, 2018
Was a great place to work, management was great and it was like we were family. I worked housekeeping/ front desk/ and laundry. I was most reliable employee which took a t ol after a while, due to the lack of commitment from unreliable housekeepers. I worked a stretch of 22 days without day off and on the weekends I would be cleaning rooms, and leave for an hour or two before working the evening shift front desk. It didn't pay enough or have benefits but I did enjoy the guests and staff.
Pros
Laid back environment, excellent management
Cons
No benefits, no advancement
Great team of workers and environtment.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2018
Candlewood Suites (IHG) was a great place to work. The team was great. I learned how to fold fitted sheets. Management were hands on, we had team events. hardest part of the job was when you had to work extra because co-worker decided not to show up. Great location.
Pros
discount stays.
Cons
open 365 days a year.