Canteen Service Company Employee Reviews

Physically demanding and poor use of time.
Truck driver vending (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 13, 2017
Filled vending machines for 12 plus hours a day, poor equipment. Ok pay.

For 16 dollars an hour and 12 hour days, not worth it.

Was told 40 hour weeks, but things were added constantly. Monotonous, boring, repetitive, and physically demanding for short periods of time and lots of driving. Good job if you need the money and don't want to work fast food, but not a job I would ever recommend.
Pros
Not a factory?
Cons
Poor training techniques, working holidays, no personal life.
great place to work in gain knowledge in on the job experience
Asistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2017
Great place to work inside the Veterans Hospital. I enjoy helping our soldiers and providing great customer service to them and their families. It has a great environment for all people of life.
benefits
Cons
lacks care for people who try to get things done.
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 25, 2017
The balance between getting things done and saving money just to spend it on useless projects is absolutely ridiculous.
There's a lot of self favoritism and lack of professionalism. Everyone is worried about gossip rather speaking out loud.
Pros
progress of safety days free each check point you get food and drinks. opportunity for over time.
Cons
where to start...
canteen
Vending Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 8, 2017
filling and servicing vending machines customer service.had a lot of rregular customers.nice employees to work with.good work relations enjoyed working there.
Pros
the people
Productive nice enviornment
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Cordova, TNJune 13, 2017
the people are polite. we have excellent customer service great food production and flexible hours. beautiful view of union lake. we're very multicultural and my co workers and I work as a unit t get the job complete in a fashionable manner.
Pros
gym
Cons
n/a
Great laid back place.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYApril 10, 2017
I love this job. It was a great place to start. It did not carry benefits but it delivered meals to the elderly. I do not think this job is in existence any longer.
Pros
Good cause
Benefits
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 31, 2017
Working at Canteen Service I had good benefits.
It was full time but needed to be part time.
I loved that I was busy all the time.
Loved working with my coworkers.
I did advance pretty quickly while I was there.
Pros
Very Busy
Cons
no part time work in office
Schedule
Vending Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 16, 2017
Doesn't have a set schedule. May go in to work at 4am and don't get off until 7pm. Then have to be back to work no later then 5:30am the next day..The Job is good but the hours are crazy
Pros
Good exercise for the day
Cons
Take to long
Very Productive
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIFebruary 4, 2017
Each day stock would be moved through the warehouse which would soon be moved to the contracted company. Co-workers and manager were helpful and friendly, however the days would drag on with the repetitive tasks.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Standing for long hours
Great Company.
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 7, 2016
Overall enjoyed my time with Canteen, They easily outshine when it comes to numerous other Compass Group USA subsidiary companies.
Pros
Trickle down work ethic, from the top. an "across the board" can do attitude, with few exceptions
Cons
When you're dedicated, it can prove draining
great place to work
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXOctober 4, 2016
There are 4 different areas to work in but you make good money and weekends off.The holidays off you start early in the morning so your off early.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
work atleast 50hrs
Miserable
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJuly 27, 2016
Worked for canteen for several years. Honestly, I loved my co-workers and they were the only thing keeping me at the company. The money was okay, while working in the warehouse and then moving into counting the money. But after a couple years of doing that, I moved into a route position.
The money wasn't bad honestly, but don't let the application or the manager giving you an interview fool you. There are several routes within the company that YOU CANNOT GROW. (and that's being optimistic!)
It all depends on your route and if you're lucky to have a good one or not. I'll just say this with out being too informative of money)
You get paid commission rate depending on how long you've been with the company. Some routes were making 20,000 +, whereas others were making 6 - 9000.

Number 1. High turnover rate should tell you something about this job and company. In 3 years I was with the company of 23-26 individuals, I saw 25 leave. (only 2 were fired)

Number 2. Management is poor. (Run by 2 cousins who are great people but poor leaders.) The company can only go as far as it's leaders will take them.

Number 3. Office and warehouse are set at 40 hours a week. No Overtime! Which is good for people that like a set Mon - Friday bankers hours job with most holidays off.

- BUT, as a route driver expect to start your day early, anywhere between midnight - 4:30 and expect to run a usual 10 hour day or longer. and over half the drivers work 6 days a week.
- Also, as a route guy, be prepared to work holidays (you will get Christmas, Thanksgiving and one of the eves off)
  more...
Number 4. If you want to progress you can do 1 of 2 things: Forget about it, or suck up... and suck up some more and it still won't get you very far.

Number 5. (back to the family being in management thing) There was a position open for a customer service position sometime last year or 2 years ago and NUMEROUS people applied for the job. Guess who got it? (The managers step-daughter!)

Number 6. If you're sick, suck it up buttercup and come to work because either A) They're short handed and can't have someone run your route. B) Manager doesn't feel like getting up at 2:30 in the morning to come run someones route.

Number 7. If it's icy and there's 17 inches of snow on the ground. If you're a route driver you better come to work. (here's the answer they'll give you: Start a little later in the day) I once came in at 330 am worked till 430pm. They were calling for a huge snowstorm that next day early morning so i came back in at 730 and worked again till 1AM to avoid the snowstorm. I've also had to travel the backroads of Kentucky at 5 am in the morning when the snowplows haven't touched the road yet because a company that would only have 5 employees there that weekend would die if they ran out of mountain dew.

Number 8. Christmas bonus? Here's a 20 or 25$ Walmart gift card
Bonuses? Here's a 10$ walmart gift card.

I didn't hate my job at Canteen. I really didn't. The people who were beside me for the most part were great people. I no longer work here but still keep in touch with a couple of them. I was loyal to the company, but reached a point in my life where i was working 55-60 hours a week, 6 days a week getting up at 3am was just tiresome, and the pay was minimal at best for the hours you worked.

The main problem was there's no growth there. I switched positions 3 times to try and better myself and make myself more rounded but it didn't avail to anything. The management are good people, but they're yes men and women. They listen to everyone's problems, tell them they'll fix them and forgot about it. The company would be greatly improved with better management. (and no i didn't get fired)

If you're willing to do things and try to go beyond and above what you're asked to, they'll take advantage of it (IE: management will). I was always taught, always be willing to lend a helping hand. But, after 3 years with the company I stopped because it was always... GO do this, can you work late today? Can you come in early tomorrow? Can you take these extra stops? adding to another 10 hours a week? Can you work this weekend for me?

This place is a good job... but it's not a CAREER, and please understand me on this. There's people that's been there for years miserable and feeling trapped there because of age making not too much more than working at McDonalds or Burger King.
-Money is there in the routes, but only if a good one is open or you're blessed to obtain one.
Pros
Free food (Warehouse full of candy, chips, drinks)
Cons
Long days, no family life. Poor management!
good company
heavy lifting
fun place
Bad management
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 21, 2014
Typical day of work consists of starting at 4 am or earlier and working 10-11 hours. Management requires you to complete work to company standards while not giving you the adequate tools or product to accomplish this. Working at this place makes you feel like you are swimming uphill, you simply can not get anything done right. The managers are constantly looking for ways to "correct" you by nit picking everything you do. Things and routes change weekly and it is nothing but empty promises. Managers look for the most illogical and hardest way to do things. Managers are inexpierenced and have no clue how to manage effectively. Do NOT work here it flat out sucks. This review is for the Bowling Green Kentucky Location. I can not speak for other locations but I have a feeling they are the same
Pros
Usually finish work day early afternoon
Cons
Pay and benefits suck, long hours, terrible management