Canterbury Park Employee Reviews

Absolute LIE
Maid/Housekeeping Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Longview, WAMay 18, 2019
Not security as posted on Indeed. Its a glorified maid and janitor position which they neglect to tell you until youre already on site and starting to work. Its completely bullcrap and needs to be stricken from the site.
good
Mutuel Teller (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMarch 29, 2019
I was a teller taking bets from the public the atmosphere is a horse racing track so speed is the most when typing the tickets out and making sure your cash drawer balances at the end of your shift
It's a great place to work.
Dual Rate Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMarch 13, 2019
I've worked at many other casinos and Canterbury, by far, is a great place. Management works with the employees and not against them. They are the most lenient casino I've worked at.
Pros
Discounts for food, new casino floor and break room, and unlimited time off.
Cons
Too lenient where some people take advantage of the rules.
gg
Maintenance Assistant (Temporary Help) (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMarch 10, 2019
enjoyed working there even the pay wasn't great. The staff was great and the work was fun and fair. Had the chance to mingle with a lot of elderly folks and they were terrific
needs management improvement
cage cashier (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNJanuary 22, 2019
good income terrible management in certain deppartments other then that thre is room for advancement after years of dedication.they seem to advance according to who you know versus skills
Quick-paced and strict.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of clocking in and right away getting to work. First I would start off by making sure all my supplies are restocked if they need to be and then i begin with doing a bathroom check, if they aren't too bad I will clean them real quick and then love on to trash. I empty trash throughout the casino and dining areas.
Awful treatment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNNovember 28, 2018
Co-workers were not accepting and basically drove me out. Lots of drama, exclusion, and bad-mouthing to management. Lies about my character and performance were spread to management and employees that I supervised, undermining my ability to properly manage personnel.
First poker manager job.
Floor Supervisor/ Assistant Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNNovember 6, 2018
Canterbury Park was the place whee I broke into poker management. It was a great overall experience. I was taught the ins and outs of dealer coordinating, running tournaments, and running poker shifts from experienced, knowledgeable individuals.
Interesting summer job
Food Stand Associate (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNOctober 7, 2018
Depending where you worked at, It was a toss up of how management would treat you. Some areas of canterbury management would like you but others you wont see them. I feel like they are a company that is very favorable as well and if you aren't in the "click" you wont have a great job.
Fun Coworkers
Seasonal, Cash Ops, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Needs better management. Never got the hours I was supposed to be scheduled. Then blamed me for not getting my full time hours when it wasnt my fault.
Pros
tips
Cons
mean people
Fun and exciting atmosphere
Supervisor in Food Service (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNSeptember 10, 2018
This is a very fun and exciting place to work. There are so many things to do and see at Canterbury Park besides betting on horses. It is a very family friendly place for all ages to enjoy and witness the fun and games that happen here. Besides their weekend races, they have many more events that occur during the year that are worth stopping by for!!
Not recommended
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNAugust 20, 2018
You will be working for an entertainment industry that expects many hours on busy days. Training was limited from management, co-workers were much more helpful.
The culture of this workplace is a casino/racetrack. Male dominated with little respect for women.
I love my co workers
Senior Officer (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNJuly 9, 2018
One of my favorite parts of working security at Canterbury Park are my fellow co workers. I am always looking forward to work the net day because I am able to see them again. I have made life long friends here and I am very happy about that
I did not enjoy this job
Count Team Member/Lead (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNJune 30, 2018
It was not a very nice environment to work in, it was unclean, not well managed and had a lot of clique type behavior. It was not good hours and repetitive monotonous work.
No opportunity for advancement
Count Team Member/Money Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNJune 14, 2018
Pretty boring and monotonous work, no support from management to advance, very poor communication throughout departments, very little diversity, seems like most hourly employees dislike their jobs.
Pros
Works with school schedule
Cons
Everything else
Very fast paced kitchen environment
Dishwasher/prep-cook (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAJune 4, 2018
Enjoyed working here. Tasks varied between food prep, dishwashing and assisting in the dining room. Very professional in the kitchen but everyone worked together to make sure things ran smoothly.
Fun place to work especially during live racing!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMay 3, 2018
Canterbury Park is a very fun place to work, I would recommend it as a job to anyone. The people are fun, the work is fast-paced, and the environment is friendly! My coworkers are great, we are like a family. Any day I need off, management helps me to get it off!
Pros
customers, coworkers, food
Fast-paced work environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNApril 26, 2018
In a typical work day, I check the schedule as soon as I get into work. I see how many employees are working at each location and make changes if necessary so each food stand and bar will run efficiently. Once employees arrive and begin to set up each location, I walk around and make sure every location is on task and has all of the product they need for the day. As the day goes on, I talk to customers who have issues, call commissary if a location is running out of food or supplies, exchange cash deposits, and check to see if employees are working efficiently and keeping locations clean. At the end of the shift, I determine if a bar or food stand is clean and organized enough for the employees to leave. I then assist Food Stand Leads with money deposits and paperwork that calculates inventory, waste, and profit.
Pros
Free lunches and passes into Canterbury Park and events
Cons
Long hours, lots of physical activity, working on weekends
Director Business Development, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNApril 26, 2018
I worked for Canterbury Park for 15 months. CEO and senior leadership genuinely care for the people who work for the company and the customers they serve. They offer fair pay, a wide range of benefits, and schedule flexibility within reason.
Temp Position/Bistro-Server (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMarch 31, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Canterbury Park. My co-workers were extremely friendly and team oriented. The atmosphere of my workplace was beautiful. The residents were cheerful and wonderful.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Pay was low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canterbury Park. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Canterbury Park Reviews by Location