Capella University Employee Reviews

I Love Capella
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 14, 2018
I have attended several brick and mortar university's around the country and I must say that Capella is an institution to be respected.
The course work is equal to that which you would find anywhere else. The MBA program is cutting edge, innovative and geared toward today's market place.
Capella
Graduate Professor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 9, 2018
This is an outstanding place to work! Many opportunities are available and the compensation is fair. The management is strong in general as well. Getting involved with this organization was a blessing for me.
Workplace Culture is toxic
Core Faculty & Doctoral Mentor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 5, 2018
Capella was recently bought by Strayer University. Just prior to that merger, management was forced to reduce payroll. After 15 years of full time work at Capella, I was let go.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Toxic culture
Adjunct instructors are paid poorly
Remote - Online Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 22, 2018
Expected to grade all the time, and put in many hours for little money.Required to grade all the time, and they give you a hard time if you get sick and cannot turn 25 papers around in 72 hours.
Pros
work from home
Cons
expected to grade all the time, and put in many hours for little money.
This was a College!
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 9, 2018
attained my BAS in Criminal Justice from Capella University! I do not understand why this showed up this way, Capella is a University and is where I recently received my bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice.
Graduate overwiew
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 29, 2018
Graduated at Capella University with a masters degree in nursing education with the emphasis in teaching in an academic environment upon graduating the course.
Productive Enviornment
Counseling Education Liaison (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 26, 2018
While at Capella, I learned alot about working in the field of human studies. It taught me alot on how to conduct studies and assessments. The management team there was very supportive. The workplace environment was very relaxed and laid back not stressful at all. The hardest part of the job was manageing over 300 case files on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was always getting receiving praise and support from the management staff.
A great place to work!
Core and Part-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2018
The leadership at the department level is excellent and the students are dedicated. Competetive salaries and benefits with realistic expectations for faculty.
Enjoyable
Flex Path Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2018
It was a nice place to work. I was able to get insight into the academic environment and helping individuals to meet their goals was fulfilling and motivating for my career.
Great Place
Undergrad Psychology Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 4, 2018
Great if you are looking for experience with great teams of people. It is enjoyable and provides you with skills you need to advance in their company or in another.
The Capella Experience
Visiting Scholar/Faculty Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2017
Since I did not work for this institution on a formal basis, commenting on all the aspects of work/experience may be slightly out of place. Having worked with Capella doctoral students in formal and informal settings, the institution obviously provides an enabling environment for its students and faculty.
Pros
Prestigious name.
Cons
Touch standards
Outstanding Culture
Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 20, 2017
Working at Capella University provided a culture that makes one want to get up and go to work each day knowing that their commitment fostered the success of our students.

Working with peers was a positive experience and the work days went by quickly as all were challenged and things were constantly changing to improve the student experience.
Pros
Working climate and Bagel Friday
Ok
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 12, 2017
No comment compliance issues. Strict structure of howinreractins need to be conducted. Not all learners are really ready for a masters level program. But if you are too honest you can be looked down on in terms of being a fit there
Great Educational Institution
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 26, 2017
This institution was very vital to my success as a student and now as a professional. I would recommend this to anyone seeking a higher education. Great people who care about your success.
Exciting role for those that like to be downtown Mpls
Associate Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 30, 2017
Capella University fosters a very social environment with their Enrollment Counselor role. They provide excellent training and manger feedback. I would recommend this role to anyone that enjoys working with people, a competitive team player and those that want to have the ability to grow within a company.
Pros
Bagel Friday
Cons
Commute can be a challenge.
Everyone is a committed professional
Part-time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Timnath, COAugust 25, 2017
Mentoring and faculty development is available. Everyone is very helpful and questions are answered quickly. Students are hard working individuals and are very goal driven.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
I like to meet the people I'm working with face-to-face
Capella University
Financial Aid Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 24, 2017
Fast-paced and highly competitive environment. Capella is very structured and time conscious, with high-levels of stress. The University is a goal driven, metrics environment where employees are expected to hit and exceed the numbers.
Great Place to work
Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 15, 2017
I highly appreciate the work culture here. The compensation is awesome as per minneapolis standards. The work life balance is great gives me new opportunities, challenges me at work. I love working here.
Workplace Bullying
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 29, 2017
I experienced workplace bullying and shunning from my Academic Advising team for almost 2 years, and despite repeated, documented complaints to HR and our Team Lead, nothing was done. This is sadly what happens in many corporate cultures. Capella is notorious for looking the other way in order to perpetuate the "fun" stereotype of the company. I eventually quit, reported every perpetrator to HR in a formal complaint, and never looked back.
Pros
Bagels on Friday and occasional cupcakes, treats etc.
Cons
"Look the other way" atmosphere towards employee issues, incompetent team leads, very cliquey.
Former Faculty
Faculty (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 28, 2017
The day can be stressful, I learned one must be autonomous. Which is OK, but reach out sometimes, Management does not really care about faculty, they are viewed as hired hands. Good for students who just want a degree, without accountability. Management Turnover high. Resources is the BEST, such as technology assistant (IT). Great Library. The management just needs to show some heart to faculty. A kind word goes a long ways. Eventually you will run all the good faculty away, and then what??
Pros
On-boarding
Cons
working in isolation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capella University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight