Capital Group Employee Reviews

Highly stressful job with onsite gym benefit.
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2018
Workplace culture was initially my favorite thing about working at Capital. As time went on and the President of the company changed, workplace culture diminished and employee morale dropped. The employees are what I miss most about this job along with the challenging requests received on a daily basis.
One of the better places to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2018
Your hard work is rewarded handsomely. Appreciation is shown consistently. CG should be the role model used for all places of business. So sad I had to leave.
Stressful yet fulfilling position
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 13, 2018
This position was a customer service role servicing mutual funds, including account processing. It was a very stressful position due to the amount of work that was required to be done for the day as well as many irate customers. This position was very fulfilling when all work is completed and customers satisfied. There is a lot of training and continuous learning after.
Pros
Many company perks, parties, freebies, discounts with other businesses
Cons
Very stressful
Shareholder Reporting
Senior Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 11, 2018
Capital Group is an American financial services company. It ranks among the world’s oldest and largest investment management organizations, with $1.8 trillion in assets under management. Please contact me directly for additional information.
Everything you've heard is true
Business Systems Administrator, Senior (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2018
The Capital Group is a large and complex organization, so there will be a wide range of experiences. But for the vast majority of people I worked with, it's a great environment, you're working with incredibly talented and dedicated individuals, and the benefits are amazing.

The benefits include top-tier insurance (HMO and PPO options), two planned bonuses per year (for non-salaried employees they can total between 6 to 10 weeks of pay or even more, based on personal and company performance), generous PTO (over 3 weeks to start) and a great retirement plan. (It's called "MRP," and it acts like a 401(k) that they contribute into for you. Whatever your salary+OT+bonuses are for the year, they deposit an additional 15% into the plan for you. You're 100% vested after six years with the company). They have a regular 401(k) but it's not matching.

People stay a REALLY LONG time there, so it's very hard to 'move up the ladder.' There are spurts of time where you're offered education opportunities, but they tend to be sporadic. Generally you absolutely need to take ownership of your career there. (There's constant talk about 'growth' but it's much more talk than action.)

The company is very methodical about their business decisions (which comes from their investment culture -- be super sure of something before you do it) so they tend to be slower to move, but when the move, it's usually not a disaster. (But that's debatable for some.)

One thing to be aware of is, the front-line managers have essentially 100% authority over their working teams. 90% of the managers I've worked
  more... with are absolutely great, and foster positive teams. I've worked with a couple that are completely toxic. As long as the work is getting done, however, senior managers won't step in. Unless a law is being broken, HR is basically there to let you vent, and that's it.

My advice is if you can get a job at Capital, take it, and try to stick-out the six years. (If you're in your 20s, and can do that, you will have an excellent shot of retiring a millionaire.) Keep an eye out for those toxic managers (everyone knows who they are) and jump teams immediately if you find yourself under one.
Pros
Excellent people, retirement, benefits, inclusive culture
Cons
Very hard to rise in the ranks, you're basically on your own
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2018
The work is difficult and the timelines unreasonable, but good growth opportunities within your role. Considerable down-sizing leads to limited opportunities to change teams. Beautiful campuses. Excellent benefits and amazing bonus structure.
Productive and fun place
LEAD TECHNICAL ARCHITECT (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 5, 2018
Great company to work for, people are very aspiring and motivating.Learning and keeping up with the pace is the key to success.Good company culture which treats the employers as part of the family
Dysfunctional work environment but an overall good company
Manager, Management Development and Training (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 1, 2018
The company overall is a well respected and highly successful financial investment management firm. Unfortunately, the person I worked for was not an effective manager and provided little latitude to perform projects and assigned work. Turnover in the department was high and eventually everyone left.
Pros
Good company, interesting work
Cons
Ineffective manager and high turnover in my department
Great company with many benefits
Client and Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
the company is strong with community involvement and development. I was able to be involved in many programs to help develop myself. The company provide an encouraging environment.
I miss it
Business Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 26, 2018
Due to changes in the DOL policies 133 jobs were eliminated due to less work loads. I was one of those jobs, but I loved it there so much. I miss my friends/peers aka work family so much.
Poor Management drives away great employees
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2018
Micro-management is praised by Senior leaders. Call center that only focuses on numbers and not quality work. slow to make changes to current poor work environment.
Pros
benefits, compensation
Cons
low employee morale, poor management
Solid company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2018
Capital Group was a great experience with talented professionals who were passionate about their roles. Some projects seemed to move very slowly, sometimes taking months to do what would take days elsewhere, with multiple layers of review and revision.
training only
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 15, 2018
training only 8-5 hours good management beautiful art throughout campus surrounded by South Texas nature job not at described by heavy recruiting by former Chase co-worker.
Stable company, good benefits
Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2018
The benefits, work/life balance, and compensation are why many people are drawn to Capital and why ultimately many people stay (golden handcuffs). Management tries to respond to associate feedback from the employee satisfaction surveys but the upper echelons of management are still very much populated by older, white men. More diversity and representation is needed here. Depending on the department you're in, there may not be enough opportunities for enhancement.
Capital Group - great place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 12, 2018
I enjoyed the company as well as those I supported. The company appreciated work well done. Best place I've ever worked. Sorry I can't stand the commute or I'd still be there
Fun Place to Work
Real Estate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLOctober 9, 2018
Nice people great environment and overall great place to learn about real estate in south florida. Current ownership are experts in what they do and has many happy customers
Best Place I ever worked
Sr. Microcomputer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 5, 2018
I worked for Capital Group for over 20 years. It was the best place I ever worked. They truly valued their employees. If they offered me a job back tomorrow I would take it. I worked my way up from a Secretary to a Sr. Micro Computer Support Analyst. Unfortunately, the market turned and they had to make some tough decisions to lay off a number of workers. However, they gave us tons of warning, a huge severance package, and help in getting re-employed. I value my days at Capital so much and it is hard for any company I work for to measure up. They provided significant training, events to improve employee morale, and an open-door policy that was unmatched. I miss it every day. If ever you get an opportunity to work for this company please do so.
Pros
Healthcare, Bonuses, Great Pay
Cons
They are not in Nevada
productive place
Digital Analytic Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 3, 2018
its a place where everyone is focused
we have good management
we do have meeting often to clear up things
we have healthy competetion here
we have good support from the management
Great job
Retirement Plan Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I wouldn't have left if I didn't have to relocate. Great home away from home. I loved all of my co workers and management was well above average. 9 out of 10
Great working atmosphere and friendly knowledgeable people.
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2018
One of the best financial companies in US. Flexible hours and friendly people. Knowledgeable managers, ready to help their team at any time and all teams are transparent in their approach.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capital Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight