Capital Metro Employee Reviews

Good career with opportunity to advance.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2019
The company is a good structured organization for the most part. Difficulties can surface when addressing time off and certain management ethics. Networking with upper management and supervisors will improve chances for promotion.
A very relaxed atmosphere
Control Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78701October 10, 2018
My only issue with Capital metro is the overall customer service offered externally and internally.
I also didn't understand why people referred to change in a manner that would say " Well we have always did it this way"
productive
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2018
Normal work day starts for day shift 6 am to 2:30. 2nd shift starts at 3:00 pm til 12 midnight and 3rd shift mid-night til 7am. management has a good old boy mentality. Must be able to work individuality by yourself. The hardest part of this job is dealing with out door elements, cold heat and rain. Working, with co-worker is the enjoyable part, 80% ex-miltary
Pros
pay is good
Cons
healthcare not great
Fun and a great experience
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2018
I enjoyed working with them, it was a great job, I had to relocate to Bastrop tx so i didn't want to drive so far, the pay was great, I do miss the job
Pros
Lots of break time
Cons
Rough schedules
Relaxed Busy & Chill
Reservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 8, 2018
Loved working for Capital Metro. It was very diverse and the hours were there and I had the weekends off, so that was a big plus for me within itself.
Stressful everyday
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2018
We get treated like garbage on these busses and no one cares enough about us to make our work conditions better. Anyone can come up to us and assault us. We can’t defend ourselves or we will be fired or suspended on the spot.
Bad and Good
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 5, 2018
There's been a lot of turnover in management and upper management, which makes it difficult for employees. That means work gets behind, so there's a lot of pressure and stress. As with many government agencies, they do not have enough employees for the amount of work that needs to be done.

The co-workers are nice and when you work there, you can ride the transit system for free.
Its a easy job but i wouldn't send nobody there.
Bus Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 3, 2018
Capital metro is a easy job but i wouldn't send nobody there because they don't have benefits only time you can get them if you become a driver other than that you just working for a check. The boss sucks he don't care what you do. People just do whatever they want.
Pros
Only thing was good about the job you get to stay on the clock for hours and do anything
Cons
We had hour breaks
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78702March 19, 2018
culture is administrative and contract labor. It is a pleasant place to work, especially if you enjoy public work and working with people of various cultural backgrounds.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Great Place to work
Eligibility Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
Great place to work just not a lot of room for advancement in some departments. Very small departments. In my job I deal with the public a lot so you have to know all kinds of information about the services.
Balanced company; Good starting point in career
TOD Planner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2017
Good work/life balance and benefits (Free transit, Vacation, Sick Time, Government Holidays, 401k, Pension, Health/Vision, Disability, Wellness Center, etc). Difficult to advance or receive fair compensation for level of experience.
rendering great customer service
Driver/Street Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 23, 2017
daily job task: transporting passengers, always provide customer service, continuously maintaining safety, loading and unloading wheelchair passengers, following buses to reassure scheduled arrival times., always being prepared to assist the driver when needed
Challenging
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
Excellent benefits. Tough working hours which makes it hard on family life. Sometimes dangerous passengers and then some real nice ones that make your day. Not a job for everybody. You have to have thick skin and be patient in traffic.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Dangerous and rude passengers.
Great way to get involved in the community
Smart Trips Options Team Member (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2016
Smart Trips Austin program provides residents with information about how to integrate multi-modal forms of transit into their day-to-day routine, along with community-based instructional programs that support these options. The primary goal of the Smart Trips Austin program is to reduce single occupant vehicle trips in the selected area and increase transit ridership, bicycling, walking and carpooling.

Households are mailed an order form in the mail with options for receiving a customized active transportation toolkit including maps, safety tips and incentive prizes such as pedometers or bike lights.

As an Options Team Member, I travel by foot and bus to households with the their personalized toolkit. This includes the specific information they requested and also content about the dates, times and locations of several community-based bicycling, walking and transit programs such as learn to ride classes, transit instruction and group walking activities. About a week after I deliver the toolkits, I make follow up phone calls and emails to residents and engage in motivational interviews in order to encourage behavior they are already interested in changing. In occasion I table at community events like farmers markets where we tell people about the Capital Metro app and sign people up for Smart Trips Austin that live in the area but didn't send in a form through the mail or online.
Pros
great exercise, community is very receptive and excited.
Cons
paid via temp agency, I have to send in my timecard by hand or fax which takes up a lot of my time.
Interesting and Fun
SR. ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT HR (Current Employee) –  Austin,TXJuly 14, 2015
My typical work days is very busy and fast-paced. I currently have 9 individuals that depend on me to keep everything in order to ensure we achieve departmental success. My co-workers are fun and interesting group of people. They each have very different personalities which can be a handful to manage. This can also be rewarding because you can learn so much from each individual person.
Pros
Wellness Program
Cons
N/a
Driver
Sts Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Nice place to work transporting individuals to appointments.
benefits
Cons
no lunch breaks
I enjoyed working with people.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2015
Daily I drove passengers to either where they were going, or to catch another bus. I worked well with people, and drove safely.
Pros
Healthcare.
Cons
Hours.
Observations
Buyer 1, Procurement (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2014
Good company. however, no room for advancement within the company.
Productive work environment
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2013
Working for this company it's very fast paced and fun. The customers are very sweet to talk to on the phone. Good Company
A Different experience every day
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 6, 2012
Basicly a bus operator 's job is stressful, a lot of day to day things to that you have to deal with. Best part of the job, is the people that i work with and serve,customers that you see on a day to day basis. Hardest part of the job would probably be the traffic, but that's only part of your day.
Pros
company pays well, good people to work with
Cons
healthcare cost is higher