Capital Region BOCES Employee Reviews

great benefits
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 30, 2018
I work with students and enjoy their ideas and goals. The hardest part is not being able to fix their issues.
The benefits offered to employees is remarkable.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 4, 2018
I am able to pick which school I want to be in. I have made a lot of connections through subbing. A typical day at work is I pick a job, find my classroom, and then follow the lesson plans. Usually students are well behaved.
Great work - life balance
Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 3, 2017
Job required a lot of training. Time was poorly managed. Colleagues were relaxed and professional in demeanor. Job is rewarding. No opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, culture, rewarding job
Cons
Middle management was immature and draconian.
administration office needs some serious assistance
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 24, 2017
difficult personnel to work with, not a welcoming group to new individuals. hard to break through the "original" staff they are not warm and inviting to parents of the students. would not send my child there if I were looking for alternatives, programs are great,and the majority of the instructors are great, the administration office, needs some serious work.
Great
Substitute Teacher in Grades (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 10, 2017
Great school district to work for, all the staff is very helpful and friendly. Classroom management is most important to have control of otherwise the day will become increasing stressful. Most students want to learn and cooperate.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJuly 6, 2017
I would receive which school I would be subbing at the day of or a few days before. I would follow the teachers sub plans on what I should be doing for the day with the class. I learned that I liked other schools more then others. I liked the substitute coordinators who were always very friendly. The hardest part was going into a new school for the first time and not knowing what to expect. I liked being able to see the diversity at each school and how they were incorporating it into their school setting.
Pros
Being able to go to different school districts
Cons
Sometimes wold be called several times even though I was already subbing.
good place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 25, 2016
good place to work and give back to the community. You can work when you want, and they are very flexible to your availability that you can work every week.
BOCES Was a great place to work and fun.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guilderland, Mohansen, NiskayunaSeptember 30, 2016
I enjoyed working for BOCES. I found working with students that had disabilities very rewarding. I worked with groups of students at a time. I had a math and reading group Social Studies and Science was with the teacher. I went to all specials with the students and the other TA'S.
Pros
Great hours and pay
Cons
There weren't enough substitutes when people were out.
Great support
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 8, 2016
When needed, staff is always willing to help with situations that occur day to day. Staff easily accessible by phone or email.
Very fun and easygoing
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYApril 19, 2016
Management is great! A little busy at the beginning and end, but gets slow during the middle. Coworkers are awesome. Great place to work.
Good job but no room for growth.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 8, 2015
I would typically know what school I would be assigned to prior. My day would begin with me heading to the office to sign in and head to my classroom. I mostly substituted for physical education class, which I'm certified in but would also teach other classes as well. I constantly was working with different people and backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is trying to set ground rules for students who don't know you. The most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with the children and seeing them enjoy their activities.
Pleasant Work Experience
Substitute (Mathematics) Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 23, 2015
The staff are always willing to accommodate substitutes with location- and content-relevant work. I go to the school as assigned, and carry out appropriate lessons as directed by the regular classroom teacher.
my job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 7, 2015
I worked as a Teaching Assistant with children with disabilities. My job was enjoyable and proved challenging at times. I felt I made a difference in many children's lives.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low salary
Good place to professionally work part time
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 8, 2013
I think the organization has a great mission. Work days begin with open availability at 5am. The management seemed friendly and accommodating. Most of my coworkers although I didn't see a lot of them were positive people going in the right direction. I'd say the hardest part of the job was the flexibility without a promise of ongoing employment. Interacting with people and having a opportunity to improve their lives was the most enjoyable part of the position.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
There was no steady work
Great experience
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 22, 2013
Substitute teaching is a great way to experience teaching multiple grade levels and become acquainted with colleagues. I have been able to experience many classrooms and get a feel of what works and what does not work in the classroom.
Very diverse group of school districts
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 20, 2013
This job was all over the place. Some weeks you wouldn't be called in at all, other weeks would see school districts fighting to get you to come to them. Each district payed a different rate. Since the BOCES system worked with between ten and fifteen different districts, you're take home pay would fluctuate wildly. Over all not terrible, but also not the best experience I've had subbing.
Pros
Work with many different students in a variety of schools.
Cons
No healthcare, no guarantee of work each day, variable pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capital Region BOCES. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight