CapTech Consulting

Working at CapTech Consulting: 32 Reviews

United States32 reviews

projectcultureclientpeoplecompanygreatworkopportunity

Great place to start your career.

Great place to start your career as a Software Engineer. Due to the nature of consulting you do end up in situations where you're put in roles that you weren't originally hired for. There are many projects to join at CapTech, but this comes with the cost of some projects being more interesting than others.

Pros

Good work life balance compared to other firms

Cons

Staffing process seems immature and loose.

What To Expect from Consulting

Captech is a great place to work with nice people and plenty of work life balance. You don't get paid top salary but you also aren't working crazy long hours and time for personal life. Hardest part is not being able to control what projects you get staffed to.

CapTech Consulting insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good place to start

Sometimes the work would be interesting and other times you'd be on a project working on legacy applications. Decent vacation and PTO. There were plenty of opportunities to learn on the job. Coworkers were smart and usually willing to help out. The only negative was I had to go to client sites (to be expected) and couldn't work from home (except for one-off days).

Typically good WLB, depending on the client, but compensation is WAY below the market

I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with, and have enjoyed almost all of my projects, except for the ones I’ve been on lately. That aside, the compensation is absurdly low for the market, which is especially absurd when you know they justify lower comp because of the culture. We used to have an incredible culture, but being remote during COVID has changed that (which is expected). Long story short, captech cannot continue to justify lower compensation rates solely because of culture—step it up or you will continue losing the people who are so fundamental to the culture.

Pros

28 days of PTO in first year, then accrues to 30 after one year. You get paid out for any unused PTO. People are awesome

Cons

Has become increasingly more staff aug since the pandemic, No visibility behind promotion and salary decisions.

Solid place to work if looking for a non-to-minimal travel consulting career

Work is a blend of individual contributor and team based roles. Firms tries to fill the gap between staff-augmentation shops and the large consultancies.

Great place to start a tech or consulting career

Learning first culture - so many opportunities to join learning streams or contribute to company culture. Even at a young age I was able to join multiple service offerings and contribute to business development while serving clients.

Pros

Learning, diverse clients

Cons

Fixed career progression

Clients and Applicants beware

Pros: Great junior employees, beer and food (although it’s changing) ok culture. Good new office (but it’s hotel seating unless you are like the office leadership & co). 401k. Cons: - 1. Projects - Only staff aug no matter what they say. They used to do some consulting. Only one major client bank (not “The bank”) that uses mediocrity so that they can prolong the budget game (think use of consultants giving the perception that projects important). All other clients who are low volume are considered as second class citizens. I can’t believe the bank is keeping CapTech given its mediocre delivery. There have been multiple failed projects especially in high tech consulting areas like digital transformation, security to name a few. 2. Poor leadership support - Ask people directly about leadership. There is severe cronyism and random promotions. If delivery goes bad there is a good chance a scapegoat is selected and blamed instead of understanding systemic issues. Leadership lacks vision and is myopic. It doesn’t matter if you worked/delivered hundred technologies but the one were you had a single small review is reprimanded. Leadership lacks empathy and compassion. There are unspoken behind the closet intimidation. 3. Admin/HR support- HR is one person and is trying to justify presence. This results in unwanted witch hunts to gain prominence among leaders. Since there is high pressure on consultants to be billing and that’s the focus, very little is done to curb cronyism or racism or promote diversity. There is very little effort to promote diversity from top down. -

Innovative and Thought Provoking

Innovative and thought provoking leadership. Work life balance is wonderful with the opportunity to take care of personal and family items as needed. Would recommend.

Great opportunities to explore new skills

CapTech is very supportive of associates who are interested in exploring new skills. It's also nice to be able to jump between projects and experience new work environments.

A great place (if you are from Virginia)

Not much to say as I was in the Denver office and that became one of CapTech's not shining moments Pros: If you are from Virginia, CapTech is a great place to start your career Cons: Denver office

Good work life balance

Good work life balance, no training, collegial culture, but heavy on development and management consulting, overall culture not supportive or especially understanding of CX

Flexible environment, personable managers - CapTech Listens and CapTech Cares

Management is very focused on ensuring a consultant has meaningful work and fair compensation. They really do listen to their clients AND employees. CapTech is NOT a contracting firm.

Great people, great culture, great work life balance. Definitely a place I would recommend for others to work. Office is growing extremely fast and the company is always looking for top talent.

Good place to work but needs more of an edge

I think it is a good easy place to work where you serve your clients to the very best ability, but sometimes I just expect more hustle from the team than I get. Wish we were doing more cutting edge tech instead of helping our clients keep the lights on.

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

Boring projects

Great Company

Great Company to work for. Supported me until the very end. I would recommend anyone to work here. They do a great job of caring about the people. Great culture.

Great company overall

I started here right out of college and really enjoyed all my experiences with Captech and their clients. Overall, it's a great company to get started and really get a feel for various industries. The biggest downfall with Captech was that it was difficult to maintain work life balance. But i'm assuming that may be the case for a lot of consulting companies where you're required to work on internal projects as well as projects for the client.

Pros

Company culture

Cons

work life balance & acknowledged growth

Energetic with top notch employees

Energetic with top notch employees, room for advancement with a great internship program. Growth opportunities in several markets across the United States.

see below

good training related culture flexibility typical of consulting firms local leadership not poised for succession planning need to be more flexible with senior manager charging expectations

Good People - Org still maturing

The people that work here are amazing...very talented, fun to work with, motivated, and smart. Personally it isn't a great fit for my background and major skillsets.

Pros

people

Cons

lack of diversity in client mix

Casual and collaborative workplace

The workplace culture at CapTech is one that encourages employee collaboration which creates a very learning/development friendly environment. New employees usually feel welcome to ask for advice and guidance as they settle into the company. Junior employees feel comfortable asking project and career related questions to senior employees who are always more than willing to provide support.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Small company so contracts won aren't too varied

A great IT consulting firm

CapTech is committed to allowing you to succeed. They place heavy emphasis on what your career goals and aspirations are, and actively help mentor you to achieve those goals. The only caveat is that progressing along the management track will require internal "volunteer" work beyond your standard 40 billable hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CapTech Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CapTech Consulting.
Powered byComparably