Captel Service Specialists Employee Reviews

Mundane job, with absurd point system
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 12, 2019
I would ONLY recommend this job to a college student needing flexible hours because of their classes OR someone looking to make some extra cash OR if you are looking to move up in the company.

The pay is not enough to sustain yourself and make a living. You will be living paycheck to paycheck. I mean AT LEAST pay 12.00 starting position.

They have an absurd point system. Honestly the worst part about this place. Don't you dare wake up sick or have an emergency and have to call in. POINT.

The most easiest but also most mundane job I have ever had. You don't build relationships with people seeing as you are stuck in a cubicle all day. They come and cover your books like you are a child incapable of reading while your call is on HOLD.

The supervisors hardly smile or say hello to you. I can recall only 2 supervisors that actually did.

I think the company needs to ENFORCE that employees dress business casual. It is so tacky for people to show up in pajamas or sweats. Especially at this location where the building is so professional.

The only thing I enjoyed was the nice scenery around there. The short 30 minutes I got for lunch I enjoyed outside by the lake. Also requesting days off wasn't much of an issue.

Apply at your own risk or if you are desperate for some easy money - which I was at the time of applying as a broke college student.
Pros
time off, scenery
Cons
management, point system
Eh
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 10, 2019
Decent job for extra cash or for those who don’t have to make a living off of their check.
Very monotonous - not the type of job you would want to retire from due to lack of growth opportunity. Turnover rate says A LOT.
Pros
Scheduling, Nice amount of Training
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Professional Growth
Not terrible
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2019
Pay is great for the work, but very repetitive and harsh on the ears and throat. Loved my supervisors and the coworkers. Very diverse in every aspect. HR isn't that great, and like mentioned before it's super harsh on the senses.
It’s good if you want a chill job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 23, 2019
I worked at CapTel for just over 2 months. The first three weeks were training because there’s lots of things to learn, but it’s super easy to get the hang of if you actually care to learn. Bad side of this job is that you’re constantly micromanaged, sit by yourself in a cubicle for 8 hours in a day, and talk to yourself into a microphone just repeating what you’re hearing. I was given a permanent schedule that was so difficult to change I never even got the chance to get more reasonable hours. 12:30 pm to 9 pm Monday through Wednesday and Friday through Saturday with only Thursday and Sunday off. No time for my personal life during the week. Its pretty much impossible to get time off, only 30 minutes for lunch ONLY if you are working 7 hours or more, and one 15 minutes break for every 2 hours you work. I could say many more things but I’ll stop here.
Pros
Easy job overall
Cons
Short breaks, micromanagement from supervisors, impossible to get time off.
Repetitive and Boring
CAPTIONING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2019
This honestly was one of my least favorite places I have ever worked... for some people its great, but basically you are in a cubicle repeating other people's conversations through a headset. I also had a friend who said she overheard a manager calling her a racial slur... Just kind of shows how management is... even though they tend to try to micromanage.
Promotes from within and pay is competitive.
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 12, 2019
Overall, CapTel is a great company. If sick days were added and the point system was discontinued, the company would be better. It’s a great job for college students looking to work customer service and isn’t adverse to repetition. As far as moving over to Admin, CapTel promotes heavily from within.
Pros
Advancement opportunities.
Cons
Attendance points system creates a high turnover rate.
Terrible admin
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 11, 2019
Petty highschool squabbles that will overtake your entire time working there. This job is not based on ability, it's based on if you fit in, and if you don't, expect to quit from the pressure or inevitably be fired due to their inane point system and the ability for the supervisors to make up just near any rule they want.
Pros
No customers
Cons
Administration is garbage
Overall ok, but could definitely improve
Admin (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 8, 2019
Lots of favoritism, unfair workload, no voice to be heard. Absolutely no “open door policy” unless you’re a favorite. Management was unprofessional at times.
Pros
No nights, weekends or holidays.
Cons
Management, Favortism, Lack of communication, Work Environment
Do not work here
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 8, 2019
Very high expectations for the pay, constant micro-managing, policies and procedures are different depending on which supervisors you talk to so you never know what’s expected of you. Very strict attendance policy. Dirty work environment. Mind-numbingly boring cubicle work. Disorganized management. Supervisors are unprofessional and loudly talking/laughing making it difficult to hear the calls. Freezing temperatures to the point most people are bundled up in blankets at their desk. Overall a miserable working experience.
what to expect
CA Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 6, 2019
if you are needing to make ends meet this is the job, if you are new to an area and are having trouble finding a job this is the place for you. nothing exciting about the work itself.
One of the most incompetent management teams ever
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 26, 2019
This place titles itself as a great place for students but doesn't even have wifi for its employees. Don't expect a straight or correct answer from anyone. I worked as a fulltime employee for 7 months and did not receive any benefits. PTO was blocked for 6 months, health insurance does not kick in until ONE YEAR of employment, none of which they advertise. HR does not care about your personal life, they expect you to work everyday in the same depressing drab environment until you quit or are fired as they give you policy violations for holding a pen during a call. I truly believe the system there is set up to terminate employees before their benefits can even kick in. I quit after 7 months as I would rather be unemployed than return there. My supervisors were nice, many seemed to just be kids that barely knew anything and most seemed powerless and devoid of information.
Pros
Set work schedule, easy job
Cons
Incompetent soulless HR department, high turnover, sets you up to fail
horrible
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 25, 2019
Im giving this company an overall rating of 2 because I am being slightly generous. But was by far the worst job experience I have ever had. I decided to apply here because I run a small business on the side and I thought It would be an good way to make extra money. But the pay was definitely not worth the time I put in. I worked 8hrs a day and had short breaks in between. They are really strict on time and adherence and HR doesn't care they will fire you on the spot. Supervisors can write you up for almost anything and they don't care. This job is very robotic and is a great waste of time. Keep looking
Productive workplace, good pay, good service
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2019
I would recommend this job to others as long as you are willing and able to work in an environment that is somewhat stressful due to constant monitoring of your performance
Cons
Short breaks
Awful Place to Work
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Great place to work if you hate your life.

They refuse to work with you when life happens, but expect you to jump when they say so.

Lots of hypocrisy. Supervisors will rush down to your cubicle to reprimand you for speaking to your neighbor, but then laugh and talk so loud your headset picks it up just moments later. They'll send someone home for wearing ripped jeans, but then let other people slide with the same style. They tell you not to use the service elevator, but then don't say anything to head office staff when they do.

They want you to work like a robot, and have the worst point-based system in existence. Sick to your stomach and took too long in the bathroom? Point. Running late because of an accident or construction? Point. Spouse rushed to the ER and you go there with them? Point. Point point point point point. Every little thing will get you one, so beware.

God forbid you get on what they call, "hours restriction". This means you can only request a day off two weeks in advance. You can't ask for same week, even if you desperately need it. You can't leave early, in case of emergency. If your kid's school calls, you better hope you've got someone reliable to get them, because it won't be you. You can't use your PTO while you're on it either. It's extremely difficult to get off, so good luck with that.

If you work here, keep in mind that YOU ARE REPLACEABLE. They have a huge turnover rate, with people coming and going all the time.
Supervisors and front office staff included. If you manage to stay for a longer period of time, they will still
  more... fire you. Company loyalty doesn't exist here.

You are expected to work at least one weekend day, no if, ands, or buts about it. However, HR, front office, and training staff doesn't. They also don't have to work holidays, but you do.

This company doesn't care about you, your life, or anything you are going through. All they care about is if you are doing mind-numbing work, and keeping their pockets lined. Yours will barely have enough to make it paycheck-to-paycheck, however.

Your cubicle will be the only thing to keep you company day in and day out, save the interaction with supervisors for monitors. They're supposed to be done daily, but I know personally you can go for days before they remember you exist.

Supervisors pick and choose who they will give a policy violation to. Your neighbor could get barely a head nod for having a book out and reading it DURING a call. You will get a write up if you have study materials out uncovered, even if you're not looking at it.

If you are qualified for a better position in the company, they'll still pick someone else ahead of you. Doesn't matter how long you've been there or what your qualifications are.

The bathrooms are always disgusting, with people leaving waste and toilet paper stuffed in them. The toilets are constantly clogged and there it always trash on the floors.

It's freezing inside, even during the winter. You can take a blanket, but it won't do much. Might as well just wear your coat all day.

Pros:
Sometimes they cater meals.

Cons:
This place did the absolute worse for my mental health and quality of life

APPLICANT BEWARE.
Pros
Sometimes they will cater meals.
Cons
Literally everything.
Awesome Co-Workers, Terrible Admin
Captioning Assistant and Coach (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2019
Awesome people to work with. However, if you have any kind of problem that involves HR or anyone from admin, u might as well take the L. They're very unforgiving and don't care about their employees at all because the turnover rate is so high. If you go into this job, just know that you're replaceable. The only good thing about this place is that its a stable schedule for students and you can try to study in-between calls. However, its a lot of stop and go studying since you get interrupted by calls. Also, if it ever comes down to your word against a supervisors/admin, you lose.
Pros
good co-workers, stable schedule
Cons
admin, unforgiving company, ridiculously unappreciated
Smooth work environment
CAPTION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2019
Captel is great for a slow-intermediate paced desk job. Relaxing environment, though some call content can be stressful over time. I learned how to help those in need with hearing loss in their daily routines via Captel devices. Management was somewhat professional. Workplace culture was great. Hardest part of the job would be a lack of social interaction. Most enjoyable part of the job would be the various content Captioning Assistants learn while taking phone calls. Overall it's a great work experience, but unless a CA seeks growth within the company, being a long term Captioning Assistant can be stressful.
Pros
paid breaks, easy-going supervisors, calm workplace
Cons
stressful call content, strict adherence and attendance policies
High turnover rate
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 1, 2019
The job itself is very easy. However, if you suffer from depression or anxiety I don't recommend this job. You sit in a gray cubicle 8 hours a day with no human interaction for those hours. (Except for when a supervisor talks to you) I had to leave because it was messing with my mental health. The calls are mostly depressing topics and it's rare when you get breaks between calls. Also, you try to stay focused on the calls but can hear the supervisors being loud on the floor talking about aliens and such. Lastly, the pay is not enough to live on. Easiest job I've had but the worst one I've had.
Pros
Easy, a market in break room
Cons
Low pay, depressing, people don't smile when they make eye contact lol
A place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 28, 2018
Captel is a good to place to work if you need flexibility with scheduling, the center is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year so making a schedule that best suits you is easy. It does get really boring when its a slow day but keeping yourself busy while at your desk is what can help you get through it. I read books and before I would play my ds, they allow any device that doesn't have a camera or recording capabilities for confidentiality reasons. They tell you straight out how the job is and what is expected out of you, it's up to you to follow your schedule and be in adherence or its on you really. The do offer incentives for showing up to work without calling in and getting days scheduled off if needed in advance. If you work full time, there are health benefits and paid time off as well. The most enjoyable part of the job is really no one bothers you as long as you're doing your job its plain out simple.
Pros
Breaks every 2 hours, Pto, incentives
Cons
Boring when slow, can't eat at desk
Good job of youre anti social
Captionist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 19, 2018
Outside of your training you'll probably never interact with another person besides your supervisor. I'm pretty sure the dress code is non existent since I've seen people wear anything from crop tops to pajamas. It's VERY monotonous work. The supervisors monitor at least one of your calls a day, but none of them are in the same page. You'll get points off for an error that another supervisor wouldn't count as an error, so it's rather frustrating. Your score really all depends on who monitors you that day. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anyone with children, if you ever have to leave early for an emergency it's an automatic write up, after three of those you're on suspension. Attendance points reset about every 3 months, so if you happen to be even a few minutes late consider yourself unemployeed after 3 write ups. They'll tell you that you can request to leave early, but those rarely get approved. They tell you to not take bathroom breaks, that should be done in your scheduled break time. Any deviation from your scheduled breaks is a write up. Your break and lunch times change daily. There's no assigned cubicles, so you sit somewhere new everyday. I assume this is because there's such a high turn over rate, they don't want anyone to get too comfortable. I'm not sure how they pick who to promote. One day you'll just show up and there will be new supervisors and the old ones are long gone. They never advertise a sup job opening, they just pick at random i guess.
If you're a single person who wants to do nothing but work in a freezing cold office with little to no human
  more... interaction, this is the place for you. You'll make $11/hr and never work more than 30 hours a week (unless they're offering over time).  less
Pros
Quiet, fairly stress free
Cons
Benefits, pay, no human interaction
Great area to start working but little room for advancement.
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 18, 2018
Days are spent as a captioning assistant isolated in a cubicle for most of the day (monitors are 5-10 minutes of the shift). No internet / microphone / camera devices are allowed on the call floor due to FCC regulations so during downtime there isn't much one can do.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks, laid back atmosphere, relaxed attire
Cons
Not many rooms to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Captel Service Specialists. Our community is ready to answer.

Captel Service Specialists Reviews by Location