Caption Call
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Caption Call Employee Reviews

United States767 reviews
I work here currently and I enjoy it. Overall I feel it pays well for the difficulty of the work. No outgoing/incoming calls, just listening and dictating what you hear. They have responded responsibly to COVID and I appreciate being able to temporarily work from home.
It can also be taxing listening to people's conversations and you are expected to maintain complete focus on calls.
Pros
Pay, work isn't too difficult, perks when working in office, lenient with activities while NOT on calls
Cons
Unpaid lunch, can be taxing, have to maintain complete attention
I felt very supported by leadership. I lost my daughter to murder right after I started. My leaders were very understanding and compassionate towards me. My grief was great and they were patient with my healing while I worked. I would work here again in a heart beat, if the pay was a couple dollars higher per hour.
I loved working at CaptionCall. The management was great, I had a very positive and supportive supervisor, I had a flexible shift, I felt like the work I was doing made a difference, and I had a very diverse group of co-workers.
Pros
Fun, inclusive, diverse, and purpose-driven workplace
Cons
Low pay, not a ton of room for advancement
Only for non- college degree holder people. You're treated like slaves while those above you who just sit there in one room and act like it's a rocket-scientist job whenever you look at her face are getting paid the same amount as standard manager rate. This is just a captioning business an no you can't fool a degreeholder person by your acting. Just step down.
As a part timer you make more an hour than you do full time. It’s odd to take a $.60/hr pay cut in order to work more.. This job requires a real skill and constant learning and you earn minimum wage. I could find so many jobs that require less brain power and make much more.
Pros
Netflix, downtime, quiet, don’t have to interact with coworkers
Cons
Low pay
Leave a review. Help people like you.
I was at this job for almost two years and never got a single raise. They don't care about you or your life outside of work. You feel isolated and lonely. Don't bother contacting a supervisor if you feel sick since they will take their sweet time answering you back. One time I felt very nauseous and I knew I was going to vomit so I tried to contact a supervisor to transfer my call so that I could go to the bathroom. Never answered me so I felt forced to throw up in my cubicle so that I wouldn't get fired. I could not afford to leave this job at the time. Would never recommend this job. They could care less about their employees
Pros
N/a
Cons
No sympathy
They definitely dont pay enough
Managment is nitpicky down to the second you answer a call

Not for the social person who likes to interact with customers and coworkers because you literally sit in a cubicle
Pay could be way better. Job is not for everyone. Great job for students. People just leave you alone. Management is nice. They don't have clear policies for everything.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
Pay is way below average
The purpose of working here is clear. It's a great service to the hearing impaired. HOWEVER, you start off part time, and there are little to no benefits for you. The pay when i started was 11.60 and they gave us a whopping 0.40 raise, so now starting for part time is 12. Who in the world is surviving off of that? Management for the most part is clueless and not helpful. A lot of times, I've needed help and not even got a response. They are so worried about making sure we can video call our team leads through Teams, and not worried about Client Call dropping dictations and sometimes not even dictating what you say, but expect for you to be perfect every single call. They aren't worried about fixing the system at all. IT IS TERRIBLE. I had a total of 57 bug reports at one point, and IT NEVER GOT FIXED. I did not have paid time off. My child is sick, and it's the end of the world there. As far as moving up, you move up, you get a pay decrease because of "benefits," and the actual managers aren't going anywhere, so it'll be forever and a day before you actually move into a position slightly worth the pay. The environment is depressing. We barely talk to each other. I'm usually shocked when people even know each other. THIS CENTER is not one that a lot of the employees enjoy being at. I say work the job if you're desperate for money or a college kid that wants some quick cash or even if you're just bored and need something to do because they hire EVERYONE. The things you hear and have to repeat are stressful enough. You aren't compensated for the type of stress those calls place - more...
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
everything else.
I am getting nowhere with this job. After 2 and a half years with this company, I am still treated like a new hire. Interactions with management have been anything but friendly. Even a simple "Hello. How was your day?" is met with a contemptuous sneer or a cold shoulder.

we are not allowed to use the bathroom outside of breaks... otherwise it counts against us... but not to worry, you can wear adult diapers, take an anti diuretic daily and avoid drinking liquids like I do to meet the company standards.

As I'm sitting at my desk in my urine soaked diaper, captioning calls in a drugged up haze of nicotine and caffeine I am frequently stressed at the thought of being tested and monitored. The fact of the matter is, I am expected to pass these tests while using a faulty company software that frequently crashes and produces errors;;. all for minimum wage!

If you are not being tested, or monitored ... supervisors are patrolling the area and writing people up for petty reasons.

These unrealistic expectations have caused several of my coworkers to quit. For me personally, rather than quitting, I put ZERO effort into my captions because I am EXHAUSTED because we are SHORT STAFFED and everyone keeps QUITTING!

hard work gets you nowhere at this dead end job and I don't care if I get fired. I don't get paid enough for what I do and the low pay is an insult to my work ethic and effort.

I get my job done, I meet your standards, I take your low pay ...

but you've lost my respect.

PS.

Our CEO emailed us stating "black lives matter" but I have yet to see a black
 - more...
Pros
a cubicle to hide in
Cons
low pay, high expectations, no room for advancement
Captioncall is a great place to work. The pay is decent, people are great and the culture is amazing. Captioncall promotes from within so the ability to advance is there for those interested in moving forward with their careers.
Pros
Cons
Intermittent technical issues
You come into work, do your job and leave. There is not much more to this job. The schedule is flexible and while staying in the parameters you can pretty much make your own schedule. Not a bad place to work as long as you are self driven and don't mind sitting for your shift. People that work for the company are quite helpful. It is not a difficult job once you get through training and learn the skill of dictation. Most of the time there are extra hours to pick up so if extra money is required there is usually an opportunity to make that happen.
Pros
Self Responsibility
Cons
Short breaks
Pays not great but reflects the work you’ll be doing. Management is super friendly and are always available for helping you out. I’d recommend working here if you don’t mind the pay. Pretty easy job.
So many interviews forced close together like they are in a hurry, then you hear nothing. Not the first time I've been through this but it will be the last. Don't waste your time on the many phone calls and many, many interviews. $10 an hour and more interviews than an FBI agent.
Cons
Worked for this company for 5 years and would not recommend it unless you need experience or a job while looking for something better.
You're required to caption the phone call in it's entierty, and you can't interfere if someone gets a scam call. So basically you have to sit there and help the scammer calls since the higher ups refuse to even add a quick word to warn the person you're captioning for. And if you got a problem with racism? Well tough, if you get a person saying the N-Word you gotta repeat it.

They claim that calls where there's no two way communication aren't legit and you can close out, but for some reason church calls don't count. So if you get a Jehovah's witness Mass call (because its always them) then you're out of luck for the next two hours because for some reason that counts as legit even though it's one way.

They added an adherence policy that makes no sense because if you get stuck on a call (and you can't hamd off until at least 20 minutes) then YOU get in trouble for being on phones when you should be on break. And good luck when it happens at lunch because it's doubled since you HAVE to take the full 30 minute break. So if you get a call just as you're about to go to lunch you get hit for the 20 minutes you're supposed to be off the phones, take your 30 minute lunch, and get hit for the 20 minutes you're supposed to be on the phone but you're stuck on a mandatory lunch.

And don't plan on moving around, 5 years there and they never let me leave the starting position no matter how many times I applied for new spots. And the excuse they gave me
 - more...
Pros
Benefits, set schedule, decent pay
Cons
Scammers, nonsense adherence policy, not able to move or gain new experience, Jehovah's Witness sermon calls
Captioncall was a good company. Once. But now, it is a company that sees people as little more than warm bodies occupying seats. Stay away, as management does not care about you.
Pros
Hahahahah
Cons
Management and leadership rife with nepotism, meh pay, absolutely secluding work type
Nice, chill, easy job. Clean work environment. Nice people. Can be a little tedious and boring. Not for someone looking for excitement. But overall I recommend this job to anyone :)
Pros
Clean, nice people, easy
Cons
Tedious
As a CA (the entry level position at CaptionCall) every day you come into work it's the same thing, log in to the client software and repeat what you're hearing (one end of a live phone call) into the computer so that it prints out on the customer's phone screen for them to read. It's extremely boring and at the end of your shifts everyday you'll leave having lost all of your faith in humanity. Management clique always looking for reasons to write CAs up. Doing anything at your desk while you're dictating a call, having your cell phone anywhere in sight, not staying within performance measurements weekly (scores earned on unrealistic "test" calls, login percentage, adherence percentage), etc. If you're right out of high school looking for a part time job and you don't know how a work place should treat you, or if you're semi-retired and want to come to work and earn a tiny paycheck in a place where you can just walk in, work without being acknowledged, and then go home again then I suppose you might like it here, but I have no idea how anyone who has any respect for themselves does this job full time or for longer than a year or two. Claim to have opportunities for advancement and that they promote from within, but that only applies to the 'Team Lead Supervisor' position on the call floor (one step above CA). Anything else ('manager' and above) are filled from other departments all of whom are considered above a call floor employee. If you want to work in a call center you can find ones in the area who treat you better (and pay MUCH better) than CaptionCall.
Pros
Good for introverts
Cons
Pay, No Opportunities for advancement, Looked down on by management and the rest of the company
This company is good. I wouldn’t say great by all means. I don’t feel welcome there, I just feel like “another employee”. I feel that they don’t really take into consideration of how their employees are feeling, if they’re okay, etc. They might say they do, but since they’re always hiring, it’s like they can just replace you anytime.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours
I worked as a captioning agent for about a year and a half and just moved to customer support. While I liked captioning, I LOVE customer support. My managers have all been wonderful, and my supervisors as well! The jobs really help people and I love that. We don’t sell anything!
Pros
No selling, help hearing impaired, great leadership
Cons
Lower pay—but can advance in company
from the beginning caption call opened their doors with open arms. Their staff is super attentive when it comes to their agents and they are very understanding in difficult situations. Although the job is different they are always there to cheer you on and assist when you need it.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caption Call. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight