Caption Call

• Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Okay job, but needs lots of improvement

Equipment and software have major issues that need improvement, operations and HR need to start listening to the problems that need to be solved, operations needs to listen to how CA`s feel instead of making their jobs harder, not a good job if you have a lot of depression or anxiety as calls can be triggers for both, new communication methods need to be put into place as current ones dont always work.

Cons

Not enough pay for what job entails, can make you emotionally unstable, stressful at times

Great TEMPORARY Work - Not worth it in the long term

CaptionCall is a great company to work for in the short-term. The first few months are great - you just sit back in your chair, and repeat back what comes through your headphones word-for-word, making corrections if needed. A little boring sometimes, but better than fast food or retail by a long shot. Requirements for login percentage and schedule adherence are a bit strict, but so long as you just follow your schedule as it's posted there won't be any issues. The longer you work here, though, the more cracks begin to show. Over the years I've been with CaptionCall, it's become increasingly clear that almost nobody above the manager level actually uses the captioning software client for meaningful amounts of time. Every update to the software over the past year or so has either removed essential features and keyboard shortcuts under the guise of 'streamlining the captioning process', or has been incredibly slow or glitchy.There is technically a suggestion box available on the internal employee portal site, but I have yet to see any evidence that it is ever, EVER checked. I've had suggestions sitting in there for literal years, with not even a single higher-up bothering to look at them.Potential for growth is basically nonexistent. Wages have stayed at nearly the same rate since at least 2014, with raises being either insultingly low (single-digit cents per year), or completely nonexistent. No attempts whatsoever by the company to adjust with cost of living increases. The only way to get a meaningful raise in this company is to hope a position higher up the chain opens -

Pros

Low-energy job, Full-time employee benefits are fairly comprehensive, Decently flexible schedule

Cons

Suggestion box may as well not exist, Insultingly low yearly raises (if they even happen at all), Captioning program loses utility features or gets less stable with every update

Not for me

Worked there for over 5 years, all I got it if it was anger disorder and ptsd from some of the calls I had to caption. No one follows rules, no one enforces them. Pay is a joke and raises are the punchline. Even finding a seat to work from is difficult. Breaks are too short.

Pros

Air hockey machine in break room

Cons

Working at caption call

Horrible

You are to repeat what the caller is saying, and even if you repeat word for word accurately, the software routinely hears differently and you will be written up. My manager literally said "I heard you say the right words, but that's not how it came thru on the software." Have never been let go of a job in my life, but was here because of THEIR faulty software. Pay is super low as well.

If you are desperate for a job

I worked at this company for almost a year. I couldn't do it any longer. I have never been so low. The company is for a great cause don't get me wrong but you are expected to caption like a robot. They also do quality checks. This job was not my favorite. Pay isn't that great either. If you can sit at a screen and talk into a microphone like a robot this job is for you. I just couldn't do it anymore. It is draining. This company needs a makeover in management.

Cons

Short breaks, management

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Boring & Repetitive

They don’t want to pay more than 11.50 an hour and expect you to caption perfectly like a robot. Every six months they’ll give you the opportunity to move up and make 14+ hourly only to turn you down until the next time around. There are no mean customers because no one knows you’re there. Management is nice. Overall, it’s only a couple dollars more than minimum wage for performing like a high-speed verbal robot and that gets old. Nebraska took out too much taxes for me to live off that salary.

Pros

Friendly and peaceful management

Cons

Low pay

Repeat words into a microphone. boring

When i first started working here i needed a part time job that worked around my school schedule, this company was flexible with schedules but it is the most repetitive, boring, and soul sucking job you could ever have. a typical day at work is sitting at a desk and repeating words into a microphone. You're not allowed to be on your phone or browsing the web at all while at work. This job is a waste of time, avoid.

Pros

Stable

Cons

Work environment.

It's a job that doesn't require much from you besides attention.

You just feel like... a cog in the machine. Day in and day out listening to the same three types of calls everyday. Fantastic flexibility though. Usually someone is always out there ready and willing to take your shift.

Pros

Flexibility, Work from home

Cons

Management, the actual work you do feels bland

Easy place to work at

Easy to get hired and don't have to talk directly to anyone but have to say what they are saying verbatim. So if they swear you have to as well. Also, have to keep up with fast talking people.

Pros

Sometimes they give out snacks, its a easy job to get.

Cons

Low paying job, part time employees make more than full time.

Decent

A decent part time job for a little extra money, someone starting with a first job, college students, etc. Pros - The work is fairly straightforward, paid training, hours are extremely flexible, once you find a rhythm you can work on things between and on calls, hours are easy to pick up and give away, Cons - Very little time between calls, after a while it becomes difficult to keep your mind occupied, some team leads can be difficult, constant surveillance, repetitive work, pay could be better.

Pros

No dealing with customers face-to-face, okay pay, flexible hours

Cons

Short breaks, little time between calls, poor raises, difficult to keep up for a long time

Great job for students!

CaptionCall in Idaho Falls has great TLS and managers! They were all very flexible with my school schedule and accommodating. The only reason I had to leave this company is that I started my program and would be starting internships soon. The job was simple but satisfying knowing that every day you were helping people. They also have work-from-home opportunities that I was able to participate in which really helped with my school schedule as well. A lot of people may think you have to be a fast typer to get into this job but for the most part, you are speaking into a mic and correcting some words here and there that came out wrong. They often have early outs you can sign up for if calls slow down. They are also very understanding that you have a life outside of work, which I have never had at any other company I have worked for, so they will almost always try to work with you or help come up with a solution. They make it really easy to trade shifts too, you don't have to go around or tet a bunch of people asking if they can cover your shift, you just post it on the time board and everyone who works at Caption can see it and pick it up if they want to. I would say 95% of any shift that I needed covered was picked up quickly The only downsides are if you're full time you get paid less but part-time gets paid more. You also have scheduled breaks that are picked by someone else which would be a pain at times but it's manageable. If for some reason I didn't get a job in the field I'm studying for I would 1000% come back to CaptionCall in a heartbeat and to this day if anyone I know -

Pros

Flexibility, nice management, work-from-home, easy, early outs, trading shifts

Cons

Scheduled breaks, lower pay for full time

Easy work. No stress.

Weird vibes in the office but working from home is great. If they paid a few more dollars an hour, I'd probably never get another job. I talk to my manager about twice a year, and my supervisor maybe twice a month. I clock in, do my job for eight hours, and clock out. The job is so mindless that I sometimes forget I even worked that day.

Boring

Just kind of a boring job. Pretty much all you do is as you listen to a phone call and as you hear the words you speak them back. It's entertaining for a couple minutes but then after a while it gets very boring and all you can do is watch the clock. On several computers people but papers over the area where the clock is so they don't watch it because it's inevitable.

Pros

Very Flexible Hours

Cons

Boring and low pay

Ok place

Very long days on the phone, you’re constantly monitored which is fine but for every little thing you do there’s someone coming to your desk to give you a coaching. You have to be exact on lunches or breaks or you’re in trouble. Very hard to get days off during the holidays even if you may only get 3 calls an entire shift during the holidays which is frustrating at times. Get to set your own schedule which is a plus.

Pros

Good break room

Cons

Stressful, hard to get time off, low pay

Slave wages.

If you are okay with working for minimum wage and having zero chance of advancement, then this is a perfect job. Poorly managed and overall just seems like a three-ring circus.

Flexible Part-time

I really appreciate how flexible you are able to be with your schedule, you choose what days and exactly what hours you want after the probationary period. Perfect job if you’re looking for an extra part time job. Full time pays a little less I believe, but overtime is given in handfuls if you’re up for the job, so it can also be an amazing full time gig.

Pros

Flexibility

I really enjoyed my time time. I advanced quickly from CA>Mentor>Team Lead Supervisor.I enjoyed all the positions! My manager was amazing. It can be hard job and tedious at times.

Pros

Nice management. Lovely building. Awesome co-workers

Cons

Can be a bit boring. High call volume makes it difficult at times.

Great place for introverts

The job is simple and not stressful at all. You don’t actually talk to any customers so it’s perfect for those with social anxiety and/or introverts.

Nice and flexible

As part time, the scheduling was flexible and you could even pick up hours if there were any available. First starting out if you have never live captioned before could be hard. But it does get easier and you can be re trained if you are still having a hard time after moving up to live call floors.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, own cubicles, very laid back

Cons

Staying consistent when you first start with no experience.

Soul crushingly boring. Easy work.

The job is so simple. You don’t even really have to think much about doing it. Great for college students to do work on the side. However, it’s unfortunate how much of a machine you feel like. You’re in a cubicle for 8 hours a day, repeating mostly boring conversations all day. With no ability to be social in your workplace. No one likes to talk to you, and it can get to be a drag. If you’re introverted, this job is for you. You have a video call with your supervisor once a month, email communication otherwise. You’re basically just a number until you move up, which can happen often, the turnover is very high. The benefits are great, along with 401k, and vacation and sick time. They are happy to work with you on schedule, and be able to take vacation or trade a schedule basically whenever. If you want to do the bare minimum, boring work, and make minimum wage, and be happy with it, do it!

Pros

Benefits, easy, scheduling, vacation/sick.

Cons

Boring. Repetitive. Low pay. No social contact.

Stable, consistent schedule

It’s a nice job for those who are antisocial and prefer limited contact with people. The scheduling was consistent and stayed the same every week. It doesn’t change unless you put in a request to change it. You choose your schedule. You can take days off pretty easily.

Pros

Consistent schedule, work from home, can take days off easily

Cons

Repetitive, can get boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caption Call. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Caption Call.
Powered byComparably

Compare Caption Call with

• Caption Call
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?