Caption Call

Working at Caption Call in Tucson, AZ: Employee Reviews

Tucson, AZ116 reviews

Found 116 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,239 reviews

Decent entry-level job

As a task-oriented person, captioning was a good fit for me. I liked being able to help others in a more behind-the-scenes way; not having to interact with people who were angry and upset directly was a plus. - Supervisors were pleasant to work with for the most part, giving positive and helpful feedback-However, the work was extremely monotonous. Captioning requires more mental energy than one might initially think, and it can become quite draining. It became less and less engaging as time went on.

Pros

Supportive and comfortable environment

Cons

Simultaneously fast-paced and boring work

Hard to be happy here

New management is a bit strange. They are pushing for global services, and are leaning away from the states. Many team leads are laid off, and then shortly replaced by another interviewee. Pay is really challenging in states that inflation is rising.

Caption Call insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things

No Job Security

I was a Supervisor with CaptionCall and loved working with the company. I hoped to continue to advance, and management made it seem very likely there were opportunities and that the company was expanding. Then one day, I was called into a manager's office and told I was being laid off with no warning; the company was being restructured. CaptionCall is not an ethical company. Seek elsewhere for employment.

Decent company, Decent Pay. Supportive management.

Overall, the company was great to work for. Managers and supervisors were supportive and available. Pay could be better. They did work from home at first but then stopped it, which is a bummer.

Great starting job

The managers are extremely kind and understanding. Work can be stressful but worth it if you get passed the training. It’s also for a good cause. The schedules are very flexible.

Great place to work if you're anti social.

If you want to interact with people, this is not the job for you. After years of working for the company, your mind will go numb captioning. It's very stress free, as the managers are not constantly bothering you. Working from home is great. I would recommend for anyone looking for the least amount of stress possible. The pay is very low because of it being such an easy job.

Easy and Stress-free!

It's an easy job with minimal stress but the compensation is not very good. Makes an excellent part-time job if you're looking for something easy and stress-free.

Pros

No stress

Cons

Pay is quite low

Not great for mental health

Let's just say that every day I would wake up to go in, I would have to force myself to do so. It's very hard to imagine you're doing good in the world and providing a service to the disabled when the users of this service essentially use it to be bigoted and rude to customer service reps, and then you can get in trouble for not saying those horrible things. Not to mention I had to fight with HR for about 2 months to get my health insurance set up.

Pros

You can just leave and call out whenever you feel like it

Cons

Basically everything else.

Super easy, at times mind numbing in the entry position. Easy to advance and benefits are solid.

In my 4th role here. Ive been treated fairly and was able to negotiate my raises during promotion. Dollar for dollar 401k match up to 4% is hard to beat. Management is great to work with. Like with any place, communication is key. Some like to complain, but those same people never apply themselves to advance in my observations

Pros

Easy work, fairly easy to advance, so long as you are a decent employee. Great benefits, open door policy for management

Cons

I dislike teambuilding, like activities and events. I see them as wasteful. Im here to work, not to make friends. This is not an issue as an entry level employee though; you come in, work, leave.

Most professional yet laid back management ive ever encountered

If it wasn’t for me having to relocate half way across the country I would have stayed with captioncall for the rest of my life . Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to go back and work for this company !

Decent Job

Wasn’t a bad job to have. Decent pay for the workload. Only downside was how boring/repetitive the tasks were after a while. Training was intense, but after that the actual job is cake. Def recommend if you’re looking for something easy to pass the time

Service oriented and purposeful occupation. The pay is low. still great for a second job though.

Calls centers can be tough, this one is different though because there is no direct contact with customers, instead transcribing is voice activated so that the customer can then read what their caller is saying. Caption Calls service is free for the customer who have hearing loss or are deaf.

Pros

Flexible scheduling that makes it ideal for retirees, students and/or for a second job

Cons

People earn such low pay some employees came to work sick and that'svery concerning!

It's alright

For someone that just needs a job you could ask for worse, not amazing though, the breaks don't feel long enough and it can get really lonely with minimum human interaction (which I don't mind too much but it does start to feel weird being around so many people and not really talking to them). My first 3 team lead supervisors weren't very helpful, but the one I have now is much better, however it really showed me how much I didn't actually know how certain systems worked even after a year of working there. Have no idea how to ask or do vacation time, didn't know how to apply sick time until very recently.You're technically not allowed to do ANYTHING that can be considered a distraction while on a call which can make the whole job feel very mind numbing and boring. It's pretty hands off but I still can't shake the feeling of being watched after having a couple of people message me to ask why I had a window open in the middle of a call which makes me a little paranoid. Voice can get really tired after hours of almost non stop talking, and the time between calls is VERY short, you can maybe get a minute if it's not very busy and you're REALLY lucky. Building also get really cold during the day.I like being able to choose which days and hours I can work, and not having to stand all the time is nice like you would have to in a food service job.It's a job, sometimes I really like being able to provide hard of hearing people with ways to communicate, but sometimes it can be really hard to sit through. It's better than not having one, and I need the money, so I'll probably -

Pros

Flexible schedule, no customer service interaction

Cons

Breaks are short, pay is pretty minimal, job can feel really mind numbing and long

Great for the introvert!

Easy job but you need to keep your stats up. You do get monitored regularly mainly for accuracy. I feel I had a lot of problems with the Dragon software not recognizing my words. The job can be monotonous. You don't get to interact much with coworkers, especially since Covid. It's very hard to get on full time, and after a year, I only got a .15/ hrs raise. Most instances you can't work over 29 hrs/wk. There is a lot of flexibility in trading schedules or getting approved ( unpaid) time off. Not a bad job, but not much opportunity to move up either.

Pros

Flexibility in getting time off

Cons

Monotonous; little opportunity for advancement

I loved the flexibility.

I was very happy in this position. I resigned because I relocated to upstate NY and they do not provide employment in this area. I would hope someday they will open up that opportunity.

Easy place to work at

Easy to get hired and don't have to talk directly to anyone but have to say what they are saying verbatim. So if they swear you have to as well. Also, have to keep up with fast talking people.

Pros

Sometimes they give out snacks, its a easy job to get.

Cons

Low paying job, part time employees make more than full time.

Calm & Stress free Place to work at but no growth

Start off as an English CA. I enjoyed working for the company, so i decided i wanted become a Spanish CA for growth in company and increase pay. However after completing Spanish training, i didn’t receive a raise. When I brought up questions regarding pay to my manager my pay compensation was actually reduced. Since this experience I saw no growth in this company especially for bilingual employees.

Pros

Stress free work environment

Cons

Pay

Decent job for introverts

Okay job, especially if you are an introvert and don’t like talking to people. Doesn’t pay well compared to other call centers. Very simple job but also extremely repetitive.

Pros

Simple job, flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay, not much opportunity for advancement

Expected to be a robot, basically

After 5+ years working here, I can safely say that it’s an okay job. Call center atmosphere but you don’t interact with any other humans (it actually gets really lonely). Management works to make you feel like you’re constantly on the verge of being fired (even though I’ve only known 2 people to be fired in my 5+ years). Demands a lot of work for being minimum wage; people act like the job is “better” than minimum wage but company prefers to give us foosball tables over raises. Management appears to receive training in gaslighting. PT advancement to FT available.

Pros

No teamwork needed, extensive snack bar, set schedule

Cons

Dehumanizing, boring

Blah

Minimum wage. Mind numbing work. Sit at desk all day and parrot. Flexible schedules. Great job for a student. After a couple years here I’m ready to move on. Dead end.

Easy Job!

This is by far the easiest job i have ever worked. You basically just repeat conversations into your phone so it transcribes to a screen for hard of hearing to read. You don't talk to customers, there are no surveys, and you only have 3 main stats to maintain- Adherence, Login%, and your test call scores.Its pretty much a self maintained job, my supervisor checks in about once a week, and there are only 2 test calls a month.the only thing i dont like is my first 2 supervisors were hardly involved, and i was failing test calls, but not being helped to succeed. my most current sup is more involved, sending me stats weekly, and sending a weekly newsletter to the team. We will see how it goes.

Pros

no talking to customers directly, no surveys, only 3 stats to maintain

Cons

monotony, ALOT of talking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caption Call. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight