Caption Call
Coronavirus update

Caption Call Employee Reviews for Communications Assistant

Communications Assistant195 reviews
United States195 reviews
The company provides a necessary service to maintain quality of life for our customers. The job duties are simple, just repeating what is said into a software program for customers to read. The company is very strict on maintaining and training speech skills, as well as compliance with the FDA.
I struggled with the lack of working with others/customers. It’s a great job for those who like working alone or not wanting to work with customers. It feels good to know you’re helping people who are deaf/hard of hearing communicate with their loved ones or to communicate with businesses/needs. The staff/management is AWESOME, they’re super supportive and encouraging and they really will do whatever they can to help you succeed in your job.
This job started out promising and easy. You sit at a computer and parrot words all day. That's it. It is not a place for the mentally ill, or those seeking job advancement or security. They will drop you like a hot potato if you have to take a day off, or your monthly work performance drops down under certain percentages. I explained to my team lead and manager multiple times that I had diagnosed mental disorders, and also asked to assistance on what I could do to make my job easier and be more efficient for them. They refused to help me, and fired me for it instead.
I was walked into management's office once and publicly shamed for causing one minor mistake. Management doesn't care about their longterm employees. I worked here five years, and made a .5 cent raise every YEAR. They choose favorites. My wife was given multiple opportunities to become a TA, or even a team lead, and was denied every time, even though she was at the top of her tier and a near perfect captionist, also for five full years.

This job is great for teens just out of high school or college kids needing weird hours to meet up with their school schedules, but there is absolutely no longterm advancement or promise of job security. This was a dead-end job that wasted five full years of my life. I will never forgive this company for the unfair way they treated me.
My typical work day consists of captioning phone calls for those deaf or hard-of-hearing. It is a fairly easy job with a sense of reward knowing your actions help others who otherwise wouldn't be able to communicate efficiently over the phone.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Good training to prepare you for the job. A little difficult working with the voice software. Staff was great, most of the management was pretty easy to work with. The downside of this job, was that full time was not offered until after working there awhile. Pay was pretty low.
I am a PT 28 employee. Most employees are PT, periodically FT is offered to those employees who begin PT. Schedules are usually easy to adjust for school hours. There are opportunities to advance to Team Lead Supervisors. PT employees must work at least 15 hours and max at 28.

The good!

-Flexible Hours

-$11 starting pay PT

-Friendly atmosphere

-No direct contact with clients

-Actually get to help people

The not so great....

-Can get lonely

-Long hours can be physically challenging (sitting for long periods)

-You will not get a raise based on performance.

-Calls can be frustrating and stressful.

It's a great job to have if you have plans for something better. You may be able to move up the ladder, but it's more likely you'll find a leg up somewhere else. It can get old to be a CA for a long time.
This job can be a great way to help those who are deaf or hard of hearing to communicate with their family members. There are some downsides to this job. Whatever is being said, you have to repeat and dictate VERBATIM. So, for example, I had to dictate some very racist, hateful things that were being said at times. But it's just part of the job. On the upside, however, there was a great work atmosphere. Great teamwork, and excellent management who provided regular feedback was a MAJOR plus.
Dictating verbatim all client phone calls. Filing bug reports when a call drops or gets disconnected. Management was more of a mentor-ship. Calls were monitored and training and quality improvement meeting and group conferences. The hardest part of the job was sitting still for hours at a time. The best part of my job were the quality test calls. It was like a competition with myself to keep my video card.
The year and a half I worked here was the worst possible job ever. Team leads are awful, you can't even have an open drink by your computer. Pay is horrible. This place will mentally exhaust you more than anywhere else. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. They don't care if you have a family emergency. They will not let you leave if you don't feel good. Also a disgusting and dirty environment. No air circulation, sick people's tissues everywhere, greasy keyboards. Overall nasty.
Jobs at Caption Call
Communications Assistant positions
See more jobs
Be prepared to listen to stupid people most of your day. The calls can be stressful when it's somebody who doesn't speak clearly (which is a lot of the time). Also be prepared to caption a lot of southerners with heavy accents. This job is decent for students, but they occasionally don't work with your school schedule like they say they will. If you are in a higher position and need to change your schedule, you will most likely get demoted and replaced. The raises are absolutely garbage. The highest raise is 0.10$ PER YEAR. It caps after 5 years.
Pros
Isolated work
Cons
Boring, repetitive, and tedious.
Overall this was a fine job but only if you're going to do it parttime. Full time sucks the life out of you and is just too much to do for 40 hours a week.
This job is great for people who genuinely do not like contact with anyone and don't get bored, for that reason I love it here. Netflix, youtube between calls, no conversations with people, just repeating spoken English verbatim. breaks and lunches are pretty good, good if youre in college and need more time to do schoolwork. Major downsides to this job though, the pay is low. Really low. Overtime doesn't really make a dent, yet need it to make ends meet. I work fulltime and have to get a second job to live. the statistic changes for adherence and login do not allow for basic human functions like bathroom breaks outside of breaks, unless youre a robot, you will have a hard time with this. Good with ADA accommodations if needed, but strict in other ways. you really have to weigh your options here. There is a distinct lack of care for and cleaning of the bathrooms, and the standard for hygiene seems to drop here.
Pros
breaks and lunches, downtime, isolation, fly-on-the-wall
Cons
strict stat percentages, hovering TLs, work drama, lack of seating, intense body odor issues sometimes
Fellow employees are wonderful to work with. Requires you to be self motivated, always willing to help you learn and grow. Supervisors help you improve your skills and care about you as an individual. Super flexible hours, because you set your schedule. Best job I have had so far.
Captioncall is a great place to work if you're in school because they can work with your schedule.

However, their rules are a little too like high school rules (no spaghetti straps as if ANYONE really sees you) and they can get you into warnings easily. If they didn't treat their employees like high school students, maybe, it would be an even better place to work.

Other than that, management is great. You dont really talk to anyone there. It's just chill. You do your job and you're good to go.
I really enjoyed working here for the 2 years that I did. However, I’m more if a social person and eventually grew tired of working alone in a cube like a robot.
The company grew at too high of a pace that could be sustained. I was a communications assistant for nearly 2 years. The first few months were great, but as there was a bigger push to get more phones to others, there were often no idle times. It was call after call, after call. One of the perks of this job was the downtime between calls to do homework, but this wasn't the case for my last months there.
I do give them props for getting more efficient in terms of seating. When I first started there, I would walk around for 30 minutes looking for a station. They then started a check out station to make it easy to find a station and go. You get a station, go check in, then log into the client to start taking calls. You take calls, and between calls, have the opportunity to do what you want. You could read books, but this brings me to one of my complaints. I would constantly get in trouble for reading pdfs on the computer. I brought my textbooks on a USB and read them on the computer. This was not allowed. However, if I had brought a physical copy, it would be no problem. You could have e readers, but you couldn't have a tablet that had your textbooks on it.

The hardest part of the job was living up to their expectations for their employees. They upped the requirements in test scores toward the end of my employment. You get raises every 3 years you work there. That is a long time to work there. High stressed in that they sometimes monitor your calls. If you can't keep up, you get in trouble. IF you get a word wrong, you get in trouble. They have constant threats of getting in
 - more...
Pros
homework if it is physical, doesn't require a lot of skills
Cons
short breaks, management doesn't listen to suggestions, double standards
It took about a week from submitting my application to getting an interview. During the application process, you will select your preferred work (PT/FT) and schedule (all options include a weekend day).
During the interview/assessment, I went in and was taken to a cubicle. There I was given a typing test and was told I needed 40 wpm or greater to pass. Following a passed typing test, I was given verbal test and was told I needed an 88% accuracy to pass. I put on the headset, and to allow the voice recognition software (Dragon) to adapt to my voice, I had to speak a paragraph until it closed, letting me know it was ready. After that I was given the verbal speech test. The audio clip was called "Love Seat". The conversation, much like live calls, was one sided. Meaning, you only hear the voice of the speaker you will be captioning, a.k.a. you are only hearing what the customer would/can hear. (Punctuation is not required during this test). Both of these tests are quite easy and you can simply practice beforehand with online typing tests and with nearly any podcast. Which I did and highly recommend.

Upon passing both tests, I was taken to the waiting area and told I would be meeting with a manager for my interview. (I was kept waiting for quite a long time.) The interview went well overall. I was asked to describe myself a bit, briefly touch upon previous work and then the manager went into explaining the depths of the position. It was explained that it can be a lonely job, but that during the training process, it can be the opposite until you graduate training and are out on
 - more...
Pros
Autonomy, relaxed, nice atmosphere, nice break rooms, additional hours, very flexible and casual dress code
Cons
No assigned cubicle, post-training pay raise timeframe never discussed
used voice recognition software to caption calls for people living with hearing loss. Maintained quotas for accuracy of voice dictation and number of calls taken
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
monotonous
I started out at Captioncall and loved it. Although it was much smaller a few years back. Communication was encouraged between employees and team meetings were fun and an enjoyable break from the nonstop droning that was on the call floor. There even used to be quiet places where you could sit and enjoy silence after 4 hours of dictating mindless calls.
But as the company grew and more people started using caption phones, the call volume became higher and higher. There was less time for getting to know the people around you and team meetings got cut almost completely.

As a full time employee, my 8 hours days are nonstop calls with 10 seconds of idle time on a slow day. The company is in it's adolescent stages where there's too many employees, not enough stations to sit at but call volume is way too high. I don't find myself looking forward to going to work anymore. It's become just a job with faceless people who sit in little boxes all day dictating conversations they're disconnected with.

On the plus side, on the very rare occasion you get a call where someone is actually reading your captions, it's not uncommon to hear a thank you or some sort of praise for your captions.

On the downside, that rarely happens and people don't often read your captions but for a second and it feels as though your work and time is wasted when the person you're captioning is asked to repeat themselves over and over cause the caller won't read your captions.

There is no longer any workplace culture. You come in, caption, and you leave. There are shallow attempts by some of the leads
 - more...
If you do not pass training fast enough you are put on a final, but they do not provide help with training at all. You are left on your own and have to figure it out your self.
This job is good for someone who doesn't mind easy but tedious work. Ideally, students or someone with a second job. There isn't a lot of social interaction, so this is a good fit if you're an introvert. The best thing I thought was that they were very flexible with hours and would work with you if you had school or a second job. Most centers are open early and very late and some are 24 hours. The management was nice and helpful, pretty standard. Because of the nature of the job and the type of people employed there (young college age people who want to work in a different field), they don't focus a lot on promotions or upward advancement. Overall it was a good temporary job that works with you.
Pros
good breaks and scheduling