Caption Call
Caption Call Employee Review

It's a minimum wage job with lots of rules.

May 14, 2019
It's okay. It's a minimum wage job with lots of rules. There is a high turnover. If you are late or miss a day of work, they force you to make up that time and that can be really difficult if you are a parent or even if you are in school.

Summary of job:

You sit in a cubicle, wear a headset, sit in front of a computer and literally repeat what the callers are saying. Most of the calls are for the elderly so you hear all about their aches and pains, funerals and medical problems, then you get lots and lots of robo calls.

You get 2 paid breaks and one unpaid 30 minute lunch if you work 5 or more hours in a shift. If you work full time, you get benefits on the first day which is awesome. It's United Health Care.

They train you and it is pretty much on your own pace, but I think most people finish in 1-2 weeks and then you are on the call floor. The Mentors are super and when you graduate, you get a little fun present.

The call floor is quiet and not noisy. There is a great view and the building is lovely. The breakrooms have tvs, microwaves, free coffee, concessions, and a couple of fridges if you want to store your food. There is also an onsite gym.

The cons:

Pay is minimum wage. There is a very high turnover. You get tested weekly on the calls for accuracy. You must maintain your login percentage (meaning you must be logged into the phone system to take calls 90% of the time of your shift) and you must adhere to the schedule they write for you, including breaks.

Somebody wrote on here about bathroom breaks and yes it is true that they even schedule
 - more...
Pros
benefits on first day, lovely building, no customers
Cons
minimum wage, forced to make up missed time, tested weekly
October 21, 2018
Same role
Agent (Former Employee) - San Antonio
Little to no interaction with the people around you. You HAVE to stay within your schedule, they’re super time restrictive because they want you to stay on calls. Only take care of home/personal things during your break. There’s seems to be no understanding that life happens outside of work, so don’t bother with excuses.
Bring a book or something to color/writing in, your mind will go numb if you don’t have some kind of activity to do between calls or when it’s slow.

Sad raise.

Other than that, you do get insurance benefits, and environment is laid back most of the time.
Pros
Laid back, benefits
Cons
Time restricted
July 9, 2018
Same role
Agent (Former Employee) - San Antonio, TX
I liked this job when I first started because you're helping people, then as it progressed it seems like they put a lot of energy into the terrible training phone content. The job itself gets very boring and you only have 30 min lunches. It also seems that management has a lot of time on their hands to just follow you around. This is an okay temporary job.
Pros
You don't have to talk to people
August 12, 2020
Same roleSame location
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) - Colorado Springs, CO
Although I didn't like this job I was planning on staying for a while. But someone was sabotaging my log in and adherence numbers. When I complained to my manager the only answer I got was "Do you know what happened that day?" It's obvious they didn't want me there so I quit after a few months. Log in and adherence percentages are how they make sure you're doing your job (along with fake test calls). I wasn't taking mini breaks, I was staying logged into the client and taking calls. When I saw the detailed log in info, aside from a very long "break" that I did not take, there were many mini "breaks". So it just wasn't some type mistake or network issue. I never got in trouble or written up for anything while working there also. So I don't know why this was happening.
Anyway, the job itself is pretty simple. You just take calls all day and dictate verbatim what the person is saying and type any necessary corrections. Most calls are boring and when they're not boring they will probably frustrate you. Most positions are part-time.
Pros
Simple job, flexible scheduling.
Cons
boring, frustrating, low pay