Caption Call
Caption Call Employee Review

Great workplace culture, opportunities to advance, work independently

March 23, 2019
I currently work with CaptionCall as a captioning agent. The workplace culture with this company is awesome. Every day is pretty routine, clock in and immediately jump on calls. You stay on the phone throughout the workday with the exception of two paid 15-minute breaks and an unpaid 30-minute lunch spread through your shift. Pay starts at minimum wage, but you do have an opportunity for a small raise (I believe $0.50) after training. You also have the opportunity to advance to team lead positions based on your call accuracy and people skills. The pay isn't great as a CA, but you are offered other benefits (insurance coverages, sick days and vacation days, employee discounts, etc.) that help. Due to the weather in Colorado and holiday season business, flat rate times and overtime hours were offered throughout most of my employment. I loved my time with CaptionCall and definitely would have stayed with the company is not for my relocation.
Pros
culture, OT and Flat Rates, independence, team building
Cons
lack of leeway in off-call times
October 21, 2018
Same role
Agent (Former Employee) - San Antonio
Little to no interaction with the people around you. You HAVE to stay within your schedule, they’re super time restrictive because they want you to stay on calls. Only take care of home/personal things during your break. There’s seems to be no understanding that life happens outside of work, so don’t bother with excuses.
Bring a book or something to color/writing in, your mind will go numb if you don’t have some kind of activity to do between calls or when it’s slow.

Sad raise.

Other than that, you do get insurance benefits, and environment is laid back most of the time.
Pros
Laid back, benefits
Cons
Time restricted
July 9, 2018
Same role
Agent (Former Employee) - San Antonio, TX
I liked this job when I first started because you're helping people, then as it progressed it seems like they put a lot of energy into the terrible training phone content. The job itself gets very boring and you only have 30 min lunches. It also seems that management has a lot of time on their hands to just follow you around. This is an okay temporary job.
Pros
You don't have to talk to people
August 12, 2020
Same roleSame location
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) - Colorado Springs, CO
Although I didn't like this job I was planning on staying for a while. But someone was sabotaging my log in and adherence numbers. When I complained to my manager the only answer I got was "Do you know what happened that day?" It's obvious they didn't want me there so I quit after a few months. Log in and adherence percentages are how they make sure you're doing your job (along with fake test calls). I wasn't taking mini breaks, I was staying logged into the client and taking calls. When I saw the detailed log in info, aside from a very long "break" that I did not take, there were many mini "breaks". So it just wasn't some type mistake or network issue. I never got in trouble or written up for anything while working there also. So I don't know why this was happening.
Anyway, the job itself is pretty simple. You just take calls all day and dictate verbatim what the person is saying and type any necessary corrections. Most calls are boring and when they're not boring they will probably frustrate you. Most positions are part-time.
Pros
Simple job, flexible scheduling.
Cons
boring, frustrating, low pay