Carahsoft Technology Corporation Employee Reviews

Inside Sales in fast growing IT company
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 25, 2018
Working at Carahsoft has been challenging because while the atmosphere and co-workers are enjoyable, work/life balance is not a concern and this job is expected to come first over everything. Management is not based on merit, but on tenure or personal preference. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-worker atmosphere. You make great friends who support you in your business and in life.
Pros
company trip every year, rewards for company goals reach, young environment
Cons
management, never accrue additional PTO, work/life balance is basically non existent
Good starter company for Sales Representatives
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 18, 2018
Carahsoft is a good place to kick off your sales career, if sales is something you'd like to pursue. The day to day duties consist of attending team meetings, learning and using Carahsoft's homegrown CRM system to maintain and grow one's accounts, cold calling, responding to various types of solicitations/bids, prospecting potential new customers, nurturing existing customers and vendors, and closing deals for the vendors that we work with. Furthermore, a sales rep will find him or herself handling AR and billing issues, as well order issues. A sales representative is also expected to attend trade shows to learn about new technologies to grow his or her territory.

Because the work environment is quite young, there are many events that are catered for this particular demographic of employees. There are good benefits, and free meals around the busier times of the months.
starter job, but barely that
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 2, 2018
You just graduated. Now what? Now Carahsoft hires you and based on the perks you join, but you quickly realize it is a soul-sucking job, filled with hours and hours of COLD-CALLS (they call them “warm” because you have a persons name), cut-throat coworkers, catty staff, and management who doesn’t care about anyone. They trick you into thinking it is more than it seems w a company trip and gift cards during busy season, but the trade off of hours for that $50 gift card aren’t worth it. There is also NO HR DEPT. NONE. For a business with hundreds of employees, who seem to just revolve in and out the doors, all “HR” questions are handled by the MARKETING team. No one will take you seriously and you deserve better than this job. Also, the pay is a mind-blogging mess. Y
Pros
Company trip
Cons
Mandatory weekends, mandatory 12hr days, bad parking
Get in and out
Red Hat Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 31, 2018
If you get on a good team and can stick it out for a year there will be other opportunities. Terrible flexibility and you are treated like a child. Strict 9 hour days. Good culture and can lead to big time companies.
Your Experience may Vary
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 7, 2018
I, personally, do not enjoy the company. But that is only one opinion. I find the atmosphere to be stifling and constricting. My hours are longer than they should be because I feel like the expectation is that all of your work needs to be completed before the end of your day. Not everyone on my team feels that way, but that is how I see the job. It's also a noted fact that taking time off for anything is a gamble. It means that your work will not be covered and that you will be coming back to extra work the next day. Extended vacations are usually covered, but if you're out sick for a few days, your work will pile up because no one is able to take it.

The management only has two extremes: not involved or Micro-Managing. I have people above me who pay me no never mind and others will send me email after email demanding that I stop what I'm doing and work on their issues. It is a noted fact that some of the management within the company is a source of the issues we are trying to fix.

For the amount of work I do on a daily basis, and my department as a whole, we are criminally underpaid and dangerously understaffed. most of us are stretched pretty thin as it is and are already working long hours when we shouldn't be. Magnify that in July, August, and September which are our busiest months and it becomes mind breaking and unbearable.

I have met people who love the work they do and enjoy the company, but I don't see it. It causes more stress than it's worth for me and it isn't providing a work experience I would recommend.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, Company trips if certain goals are met, Steak dinners and Shoe days if goals are met, A bunch of tiny incentives that don't really make any difference
Cons
Stressful work environment, hot/cold management involvement, unnecessarily long work hours, A/C usually not working
The want Robots
Open Source Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Reston, VA 20190July 27, 2018
Large disconnect between what mangers will tell you in interviews and actuality. Underpaid and constantly micromanaged. Not a place for creativity. They basically just need call monkeys. That being said, it is a good place to start to get a foot in the door for for the IT field or government procurement field.
Pros
Really great coworkers and a fun post college atmosphere
Cons
Haha A LOT. poor pay, poor hours, Great CEO and awful managers otherwise.
Fun and Positive Work Enviornment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 25, 2018
It was a great experience. The position I held allowed me to become a better sale and business minded individual. I recommend this company for anyone who has the passion to be succesful
It's a job but not a career
Government Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 5, 2018
The job is relaxed and slow paced except for the month of September, then management really presses the job even though management guidance is virtually non existent the rest of the year.
Pros
tons of alcohol and food
Cons
pay skewed, taxes, lack of guidance, no job security
good for a first job, thats it
Order Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 10, 2018
Not somewhere that you want to work for more than 2 years max. laid back enviroment but pay is terrible relative to pretty much any other job. ceo is no good
Great out of college
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 31, 2018
This is a great out of college job, but it is a lot of cold calling. They do a company trip every year and offer a ton of perks. The employees are all great and you have you share of great managers.

Want to know more about Carahsoft Technology Corporation?

Ask a question
Decent First Job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 23, 2018
Decent first job out of college. Terrible pay to start out. Team oriented company so whatever team you land on determines your experience. Most of the managers are terrible leaders but good at their job which is the only reason they got promoted. If you are interviewing for the open source team tell the recruiter "no".
Pros
Fun Outings
Cons
Bad Pay and Managers
carahsoft
Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Reston, VA 20190March 10, 2018
the job itself sucks your expected to make about 100 calls a day. no one wants to talk to you everyone you call sucks. the people that work there are really cool and the culture is a lot of fun.
Lack of opportunity
Corporate Recruiter Intern (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 26, 2017
During my time, I didn't think I would go very far and grow within the company as much as I wanted - I was offered low pay from the start and not really given much opportunity to be considered for an actual position within the company with fair compensation.
Pros
able to work from home
Cons
low pay, no advancement or growth opportunities
Underpaid with nowhere to go
Order Management (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 21, 2015
Carahsoft is alluring for college grads because of the young "fun" work environment it appears to have, but the reality of working at Carahsoft is having to struggle with poor management, doing the same monotonous tasks day in and day out, not properly compensated for overtime, zero opportunities for advancement and being significantly underpaid.
Cons
low salary, No job advancement, poor management
Great place for recent college grads
Marketing Coordinator, Adobe Digital Marketing (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 4, 2014
This is a great entry level place to start right out of college, but the low pay, long hours, location, and minimal advancement opportunities allows for 1-2 years of enjoyment.
Pros
Trip to Jamaica, Free iPads, Free Concerts and Events, great social atmosphere
Cons
Horrible pay, 830-530 hours, no management advancement or growth
Short Term Means to an End
Federal Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 10, 2018
To anyone who loves sales and working long hours Carahsoft is the place for you. I personally saw it as a job that was good starting out from college but not a long term solution.
Relaxed, upbeat atmosphere
Proposal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 25, 2017
A positive experience overall. a great place to start out. You get what you put in. Team atmosphere. Management on some teams was a struggle, though that was not the case for me. The company would benefit from an HR team and compensation is dismal which largely effects turnover.
Pros
fruit wednesdays, frequent bonuses if you work for it, CEO makes an effort to stop by and say hi
Cons
compensation overall
Fun Workplace, Bad Management
Marketing Account Lead (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 18, 2015
This is a fun and young work environment. Every year the company pays for everyone in the company to go on a trip. However management is hard to work with and very subjective. I don't feel supported or helped by the sales or marketing management teams. Often feel micromanaged and unappreciated.
Pros
Free annual trip, fun work force, often get free meals
Cons
low pay, micromanaged, long hours with no acknowledgement from management.
Young and fun
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 30, 2014
Great company culture and active, healthy environment. They provided an interesting and fun start into the corporate atmosphere. The pay isn't top notch, but you do get out what you put into it and its totally worth it when the job doesn't feel like actual work with that environment.
Pros
Free lunches and happy hours.
Cons
can have long hours, low pay
Fun workplace with a young atmosphere.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 14, 2013
This is an extremely young environment - Everyone is fresh out of college, with the exception of management which is usually in their late 20s. I learned valuable skills such as cold calling and Microsoft Office, but the hardest part of my job was the long hours during busy season (September).