Card Kingdom

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Great for Magic players but experiencing growing pains

Company has experienced a huge growth spike, employees are compensated pay wise, workload is heavy, good covid response. Less small down local game store, more online giant retail.

Good people, a well cultured pile of lies

Card Kingdom does a great job of telling you you're doing a great job and trying to pump people up and talk about how it values people, but in the end it's become just another corporate shell. I dared to bring up to management that me and my team were ten or more times more valuable to the company financially than we were being paid, and they threw me out the door for some nonsense reasons. The values are a lie, the management are disconnected, and they've just turned in to another disconnected corporate meat grinder that doesn't care about its employees even a little.

Pros

The majority of actual other coworkers are excellent

Cons

Management structure rife with nepotism and disdain.

Great people heavily mismanaged

The management has officially stopped listening to their employees and shown no initiative in protecting most people working there. this was a wonderful place for many years to work there but the lack of trust all around made this a very difficul place to advance career wise.

Owners exploit desperate nerds for cheap labor.

The ownership knows they dont have to pay nerds very much to work around MTG cards. It's a scam. Get paid what you are worth. Its insanely repetitive with a very high quota for packing orders. An amazon warehouse works slower. The managment is constantly looking to squeeze ever second of labor out of you. The location in seattle is nice but the pay is so low you cant afford to live near where you work and the ownership is out of touch with the struggles of the average worker.

Rad coworkers

Other employees are rad there, but you may find that management (starting at L3/L4) is tough to work with. I found a lot of folks complained there but stayed on for other reasons, especially because they enjoy going to work. Advancement happens often while it’s growing but still feels limited.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Loved it

Play magic the gathering before work Clock on Fill orders Breaks when u want but has to be time in-between Study for test Discounts for employees

An excellent team environment with many avenues for growth

My job at Card Kingdom revealed to me how a team-oriented job should operate. My team was always happy to help me grow and everyone demonstrated true compassion. I was also impressed to see how many of my peers were able to be promoted to leadership or new departments within the company. The more Magic: The Gathering grows, the more room for growth you will find here. Management will emphasize the importance of taking care of yourself, and it won't be just lip-service. Also, as an LGBTQ person, this job was very welcoming, and it was nice to have LGBTQ folks heavily represented on the team. Benefits included health, dental, vision, a 401K, and a store discount. It was a huge relief to me to not have to pay extra for health coverage. I was used to jobs taking a huge cut of my paycheck, so it was refreshing to not have to put up with that. The only glaring faults I noticed at Card Kingdom are mandatory overtime periods when a new Magic: The Gathering set releases and occasional coordination issues. This OT is never a surprise and always right on the calendar, but it can be brutal if WotC decides to release a bunch of new products in a short span of time. Card Kingdom recognizes this is a tough time and offsets the OT by offering catering and emphasizing that if it is tough, that rotating to a different task to ease the burden is an option. They also try their best to coordinate your OT hours the way you need them, so you can make sure it isn't too large a burden. Overall, if you want a good team environment, have a passion for Magic, or need a job that can show understanding -

N/a

Mandatory overtime, low pay, lack of support or recognition of staff. Reutinely misrepresented qualities they were looking for when considering advancement. Highly insular and exclusionary culture among management.

Good job for detail-oriented nerds

Tasks could become boring, but there were usually opportunities to mix it up partway through the day. Employee discount is a big perk for fans of Magic the Gathering and board games!

Growing Faster Than it Can Handle

Cardkingdom is a fast-growing tabletop gaming, and entertainment business. Unfortunately, the infrastructure does not seem to be at-pace with the growth of revenue, and much of the revenue does not go back to advancing employee quality of life, but rather growing the business itself. Great for the Cardkingdom CEO's, not so great f0remployees. Opportunities for advancement and raises are not competitive with this line of work (for example Cardkingdom retained 12million in profits last quarter for less than 300 employees, and only 0.5% has been invested in employee benefits). However, the medical benefits are excellent.

Pros

Medical, Dental, and Vison. 401k with 4% match

Cons

minimal opportunities for advancement, organizational inefficiencies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Card Kingdom. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Card Kingdom