Cardinal Intellectual Property Employee Reviews

Productive and easy going atmosphere
Patent Engineer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 26, 2018
great place for a person like me. I enjoy a good challenge and the work is always fun, I learn something new everyday. friendly co-workers. working hours are extremely flexible, never the same for me, which is a huge plus.
Piece Work
Senior Patent Agent / Search Approving Officer (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 6, 2018
Review PCT (patent) applications, search prior art, and write patentabilitiy reports. Review the reports of co-workers. Attend training meetings. Work can be done on-line or at the office.
Pros
piece work. work from home.
Cons
piece work. work from home.
Work Culture and Management
Client Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 15, 2018
The two biggest issues with Cardinal, at least during my time there, was a lack of consideration for employees from management. The pay is low for industry standards which would be more forgivable if not for the blatant misogynistic tendencies from the higher-ups.
Pros
easy interview
Cons
work culture, low pay
Good
Patent Engineer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 6, 2018
I like working at Cardinal. The work is very interesting, difficult at times, but flexible working hours and laid back office environment. I like my desk and I there is always an empty conf room or office to field my personal phone calls.
Pros
Its a good job, I've had only positive experiences
Cons
Really good opportunity to earn, but only if you put in a solid days work.
Productive and fun workplace
Patent Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 7, 2017
laid back and enjoyable atmosphere to be in. extremely flexible working hours. free coffee, occasional pizza party, and lunches. no backstabbing or other evil type workplace stuff here, just mostly happy people.
Pros
nice view, flexibility, friendly people willing to help, collaboration with others encouraged
A good company concept
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 8, 2017
I learned a lot from this company but the management kept changing as did the process of sales. It was limited in its advancement but I was proud of my work.
Renumeration is a fixed amount per case, no matter how many hours are required.
Registered Patent Agent/Patent Analyst (Former Employee) –  telecommuteFebruary 12, 2017
The amount of time for case work completion exceeds the fixed compensation per case. There is no such thing as a weekend or holiday, even vacation is nothing more than an unpaid leave.
Horrible Management, Wages and Insurance Premiums
Docketing Department (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 7, 2017
After working for the company for several years, the docketing department has not had a pay increase for the last two years even after receiving high marks on yearly reviews and bonuses. They should be taking care of their long term employees, but instead chose to double workflows and always find random reasons why wages are not increased.

This company also has very high employee premiums for medical and dental insurance. Dental insurance is non-existent where employees can't even afford basic dental care.

Management is horrible, especially HR department.
Pros
35 Hour Work Weeks and One Hour Lunch (If you get to take one)
Cons
Wages/Management (Especially HR)/Insurance Premiums
Senior Patent Analyst
Senior Patent Analyst (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Challenging work, good money, collegial environment, smart co-workers. Spend all day looking at patents, I think its fun.
Pros
Holiday Party, summer picnic
Recommend
Docketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 7, 2015
I loved working at Cardinal. The employees are warm and welcoming. The job is easy to do, and the compensation is good. I worked from home and was able to have my child home with me if necessary. They are extremely flexible and understanding. By far one of the best companies I've worked for.
Pros
Work from home is an amazing plus. Compensation is awesome, they pay for travel (if required), PTO is good.
Cons
Job is the same day to day; but there is always something to do to keep you busy
Much has improved over the last few years
Patent Analyst (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 16, 2015
I've been with Cardinal for about 4.5 years. I began as an Analyst and I am currently in the role of Senior Analyst and Analyst. The work here is difficult and is an extreme challenge. I have seen many people come on board who find the work to be silly and just do not have what it takes to cut it here. The variety of projects we get to work on are all unique and very interesting, but it’s not easy. It took me around 6 months to figure out how to maintain quality and produce at a rate which was worth it for me. However, for the last 3 years, I have been able to maintain a healthy personal life away form the office while still earning a six figure income, which is more than I would make pretty much anywhere else, not to mention the significant decrease in the flexibility I have now. On-board at Cardinal for the first 2.5 years or so was a bit rough. Management seemed confused and sometimes it felt uncomfortable working here. However, over the last 2 years, what seems to be an overhaul of personnel and managing styles in general has really changed things for the better. Pay has definitely increased and I've really seen attitudes change. For the first bit of my employment here, I was concerned about where this company was going, but it really appears that some great changes were made and I am excited to continue in my role with the company.
Pros
Transportation reimbursement, Flexibility
Cons
benefits could be cheaper and more plentiful
Undervalued employment experience
Patent Analyst (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 27, 2015
Most employees at Cardinal are undervalued and replaceable. Specific job skills go unrewarded and overall company morale is very low. Management makes ever cut possible to save costs and counts on employees to deal with the limited resources or leave.
Pros
Free lunch on your birthday only
Cons
Horrible management
Productive workplace with great people
Patent Analyst (Former Employee) –  EvanstonFebruary 4, 2015
A great environment to work in. I learned a TON working at Cardinal. The work is not boring but tough and challenging, quite rewarding most of the time. Cardinal was the perfect career stepping stone for me. Very collegial atmosphere and great people.
Pros
Casual dress, work from home option, good people
Cons
learning curve is steep but attainable
N/a
Patent Engineer(Mechanical) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2014
montonous work. Not much scope of growth and ok to start your career
Confused environment, clueless management
Software Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 21, 2012
This is a patent law office trying to be a software company. Hopefully things have changed since I worked there. Project I was working on had little direction nor leadership. Was cancelled after 3 months resulting in my lay-off. CEO was a lawyer with no understanding of software, software development cycle, or nuances that would help him to succeed in this business space.
Pros
nice evanston, il location near good restaurants.