Care for the Homeless Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
an ok job
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
A typical day at work could range from peace and quiet to very busy and hectic. I learned that you have to have a lot of patience dealing with the homeless population. You also can't let the patient's discourage you and you just have to take a deep breath and don't let their aggression get you out of character. Management could have been way better but you learn to deal with the cards you are dealt and make the best of every situation and still be a team player. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the women actually appreciated the work that was done for them and they thank you and show you gratitude.
Patient Centered Medical Home Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 12, 2018
A typical work day at CFH is extremely stressful. If you are teachable there is a lot to learn. Management do not care about the employees. It is a divisive environment and the clients make it all worth while. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my patients.
New management is not doing right by their staff, other than for providers
Administrative Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2018
Treat your staff like people, not numbers. Keep in mind that before your regime came into effect, the staff's morale was better... Plus, we are not at fault for your current issues-You, the executives are. Try to treat your staff with more respect and fairness, instead of the disrespect and disregard we are all experiencing under your regimen (all except for the medical providers). Again, understand and note that you, the executives are at fault for the uncertainty Care for the Homeless is facing.
Pros
None to point
Cons
New Executive Director (as of 10/2017, George Nashak), Medical Chief Officer (Regina Olasin), Chief Operating Officer (Ron Lawson)
Great Place, but Poor Business Plan
IT/EMR Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. However, they seem to have bit off more than they can chew. They had assumed that their income would be increasing and therefore hired more people. However, that wasn't the case and soon had to make drastic cutbacks to their staff.
good place to work
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 20, 2018
good place to work. I would recommend it. They like to employ new graduates, which helps with experience. The setting was also nice for a learning experience
Great workers, poor management
Medical Case Manager/ Disease Management (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYMarch 20, 2018
I have been with the organization for 5+ years. Typical 9am-5pm work days. Medical Clinics within NYC area inside of DHS shelters and Soup Kitchens. Benefits have improved over the years. Management is barely present within all departments. No enforcement of guidelines for clinics to operate the same. No accountability from executives for cause of years long moral drop and personnel leaving. Job security was a MAJOR concern.
Pros
Health Insurance, Vacation hours
Cons
Poor Executive -Low Level Management. Job security.
Nice Place, Leadership needed some work
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
Great environment, Management could use some help. The CEO was a motivator, other leadership couldn't follow his lead. There was a disconnect in the culture.
Pros
People
Wonderful organization
Interim Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
Care For The Homeless is a wonderful organization caring for vulnerable and medically fragile clients in the most compassionate and caring manner possible. The dedicated staff and board are committed to ending homelessness by delivering high quality, client centered health care, human services and shelter to homeless individuals and families, and by advocating for policies to ameliorate, prevent and end homelessness.
productive work place
Case Manager/Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
working in this facility on a day to day basis is never boring, i have learned a lot during my time working in this facility and i have the best co-workers ever. the hardest job is securing hosing for clients and the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my hard work paid off when residents move into suitable housing.
Good work culture
Health Educator Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2015
• Orient, monitor, mentor, provide guidance and constructive feedback to adolescent peer educators
• Plan, implement, and evaluate interactive outreach and workshops at schools, community agencies and Health Center
• Develop and disseminate educational material to targeted youth populations
• Coordinate other special projects and assignments as needed.
Pros
Productive Work Enviroment
Cons
No Cons

Want to know more about Care for the Homeless?

Ask a question
Rewarding
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2014
In this company you have to be ready to work with different types of genders, families, personalities and health issues. I love this company because you learn how to work with children, family, seniors, HIV population, and gay and lesbians. It was a great experience for me which helped me today to perform at my best. My team was a small team covering different shelters through out the tri-state area. I really enjoy working with everyone from the Kitchen to the administrators.
Pros
Monthly meetings, free trainings and outings.
Cons
Had to leave because they did not have a psychotherapist position open
small and supportive agency
Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Agency was dedicated to homelessness and resources were available to meet the needs of the clients.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
Little to no opportunity for growth
Do good work, poorly managed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2013
I worked in headquarters. The people in the field do good work. The management is not good with lots of problems, and turnover If you want to work in direct health care its not so bad.
benefits
Cons
high turnover, management problems
Care for the homeless
Senior Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 21, 2012
Overall i had a great experience during my time with Care for the Homeless, and I loved working with the clients. One major problem with the shelter is the lack of job stability and the blatant disregard for the hard working and talented employees. Everyone who received promotion was very unprofessional and not deserving. Males got treated very poorly there so i know that it could have been worse for me. Would I work there again? yes, but i wouldn't put so much effort into my job. That seems like the best way to get ahead there
Pros
clean enviornment
Cons
staff
Productive and fun
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 1, 2012
I live in Brooklyn, New York. I currently am employed at Care for the homeless a shelter, which fights homelessness by delivering high quality and client-centered health care, human services for these individuals. A typical day at work for me would be managing and directing a comprehensive program, safety and sucess for women that include housing, couseling, benefits entitlements, program placement, health and educational programs and comprehensive case management.
Pros
space, health care
Cons
short breaks