Care1st Health Plan Employee Reviews

Concentration Camp Goes Corporate
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2018
Attention RN’s! Here Is The Warning That I Wished I Had Been Given!
This company is about as employee friendly as a Georgia chain gang. Expect to be worked to death with insane deadlines and impossible, nonsensical quotas. Training is a travesty as in you are set up for failure from day 1. Quite literally it is the Tower of Babel in respect to using criteria data sets for pre-authorizations - everyone citing/doing something different. No two clinical personnel were ever on the same page. Non-clinical types making clinical decisions (!!!???) I had forged a career of cleaning up inappropriate decisions along with other people’s messes.
The overall environment is hostile as well as desperate which may offer a possible partial explanation as to why staff and co-workers are so miserable and uncooperative. Since the takeover of Care1st, things proceeded to go incrementally downhill for the nursing staff – we were downgraded to hourly with an unreliable, insipid clock in system via a minimally functioning computer, free insurance turned into a huge payroll deduction with an equally huge cut in medical/pharmacy services, no overtime, threatened corrective action if quotas not met daily. IT department always making user unfriendly changes – systems always arbitrarily closing down/crashing - (no excuse – daily quotas still need to be met regardless of how many times you have to shut down and log back in but remember – no overtime) The one benefit that tends to be something of a retention strategy is the rather rapid accrual of PTO but you will need this to continue on here because
  more... your mental health will be morbidly compromised. And btw, you will lose every last minute of it once you terminate. That brings us to the discussion of departure, once employees give notice they disappear Stalin style – quickly, mysteriously and without farewell or further ado. Do they still deport people to Siberia? Might give cause to wonder working here – what are they attempting to conceal, prevent or cover up?
I would hope I am wrong on this last reflection but I do not think so – see, since it’s all about volume and numbers NOT even remotely involving quality - anything goes basically with approvals or denials for that matter – there was never any consistency or charting standards - I always had an insidious feeling that somebody was and still is in somebody’s pocket here either Wellcare or AHCCCS or maybe both – but somebody is being compensated to look the other way.
Pros
Great Friendships were forged
Cons
Frienships forged at the expense of corrective action
The company strives to be a good place to work.
Encounter Data Operations Manager/Risk Assessment (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed my work and my staff. I was committed to the mission. Unfortunately business changes and the sale of the company impacted my Department. There was a lot of opportunity. The company cared about training and developing the "People Leaders. Hardest part of the job was the long hours worked as a Manager
Pros
Potential for personal growth; benefits
Cons
Cost of Health Care
Over worked and no plan
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 5, 2018
The FP&A manager was one of the worst in my career, he only worried about himself and how the work made him look, he never pushed for the team, or showed any interest behind his own self needs. The manager got promoted way to quickly and does not know how to manage a team. Do not make a mistake because the whole Finance team will turn there back on you if you do, you will get no help or support of any kind.
Do not work for this company !!!
Pros
Cons
overworked and no care of the team
its ok to start or end your careet
Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 15, 2018
If you are looking for advancement this is not the place there is no manager to guide you and lots of rumours about layoffs. Don't feel stable. Everyone jumping ship
Pros
nice people
Cons
to much complaining
Working for the Claims Dept is like selling your soul to the Devil
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 8, 2018
I would never, not even to my worse enemy recommend working for the claims department. The AVP is a complete tyrant and constantly demeans his employees. Yelling, scrutinizing your work, telling you that he can do better than you, dirty looks, is a typical day.

The fact is, people only stay because of their compensation. Those who wish to stay are worried BlueShield will lay them off. Most if not all Contractors are dead set on leaving once their contract ends.

I stayed less than a year and within that period, 4 people quit (1 walk out) and others are well on their way out. Considering it is a small team, 4 is plenty. Needless to say, moral is at an all time low. People are only sticking around until they find something better.

Their only saving grace would be if Blueshield takes control of the department and off the current leader's hands. I don't mean to bash or discredit, just want to share my experiences which seem to be the same for most I've worked with.
Pros
Monthly Pie Day, Friendly Staff, Compensation
Cons
Avp
Good
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 4, 2018
Depending on which department you work in, it can be a rewarding experience or a stressful one. Working for the Medicare marketing department was exciting and rewarding. It got very busy during the annual enrollment period, but the rest of the year was pretty calm. My position still worked with all other department providing graphic design services, so that was quite enriching. However, there seemed to be a lack of organization, structure, and lack of proper responsibilities assigned to the right people. That can make things very stressful and cause conflict. Other than some ups and downs throughout the years, it was overall a good experience. I got to work with many people form different backgrounds and levels.
Pros
Not too stressful
Cons
Lack of communication
Very busy invironment
Contract Associate (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 4, 2018
High volume of reports and contracts that need to routed to all proper departments daily. Quiet and friendly, no one really speak to each other. Management is usually busy with meetings. The hardest part was trying to impress my supervisor. Enjoyable getting the knowledge.
Pros
learning more about healthcare
Cons
not getting the proper guidance from management.
Not the best to work.
Utilization Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2018
Had better jobs with better environment, co-workers and administration, less stress and more appreciation. I've learned a lot but is not the employer I desire for retirement.
Pros
Benefits, flexible with vacations.
Cons
Stressful environment.
Fun place to work
Prior Authorization Tech II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2018
Care1st was a fun family and smaller healthcare at the time when I worked there. The prior authorization department that was truly like family. The company always had fun events to bring all staff together.
Pretty laid back place to work.
Denial Coordinator Lead (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAApril 23, 2018
You pretty much work at your own pace, get your stuff done and you're good. Member service department is majorly micro-managed. The overall vibe there is friendly
Pros
Lots of company sponsored lunches and events
Fun and Rewarding
Outpatient UM Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2018
I was working at Care1st two jobs ago. I left for career advancement. Did not like some colleagues who abuses sick calls and not pulling weight of work loads. They have unrealistic productivity expectations. No opportunity for career advancement .
Pros
Fun colleagues, Positive vibes
Cons
Poor adherence to policies
customer service
Member Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 4, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about Care1st nor nothing good. Each company is different. Each company has their own policies and procedures. I was happy with Care1st while it lasted.
Pros
pie day
Cons
management military style
lack of management
Member Services Representative II (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAMarch 7, 2018
co workers are amazing but management does not help with issues.
We are left to workout problems.
the pay increase is only up to 3% per year even with excellent performance
Okay place to get experience
Provider Network Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAFebruary 13, 2018
It is a good place to get your foot in the door.
The workplace culture is nice but there is not a lot of training.
Please train all of your new and transfer employees.
High leadership turnovers, it’s a zoo!
Ex-employee (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAFebruary 8, 2018
People come and go, high turnover due to over aggressive leaders that has no idea of daily challenges. Sets unrealistic expectations equals burned-out employees.
Pros
Pie day
Cons
No loyalty to their employees
Greivance Department had Cruela
Grievance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAFebruary 5, 2018
The company location is great, the processing staff was good but unable to work comfortable due to micromanagement and favoritism of staff. The daily work was not distribute fairly, the department Director was the worst to work for at the time; she was a bully.
Our team worked hard to complete the task and follow through the department needs and request with very little training and guidance. If your not a go getter you'll sink and get shipped out!
Pros
Great Team members
Cons
Stay away from Evil Director
fast paced and busy
Member service Representative (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJanuary 25, 2018
you answer phone calls and assist members. its fast paced! never a dull day. you do get rude people but the management helps as much as they can!!!!!!!
Pros
free lunches and pies
Cons
stressful at times
I have been working at Care1st Health Plan full-time
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Management needs improvement the department other than that Great place to work , excellent surrounding. I would recommend anyone to work at this company. Everyone is very friendly , its a comfortable place to work.
Pros
very nice managers everyone is nice
Cons
i have nothing bad to say
I do love this place but...
Data Exchange Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CADecember 11, 2017
I love working for Care1st. The environment, my co workers, my manager. However the company was recently bought out and the new VPs are so inconsiderate of your outside life. You will not have a life working here and will be constantly stressed.
Changing culture
SIU Investigator/Compliance (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CADecember 2, 2017
The purchase of Care1st Health Plan by BlueShield Health Plan was a postive note to the work culture. The shifting of positions and changes implemented provided a postive direction for the culture and growth of the Care1st employees and members enrolled in the program.
Pros
Pie at the end of every month to celebrate birthdays
Cons
Upward mobility was limited

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care1st Health Plan. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about