Career College of Northern Nevada

Career College of Northern Nevada Employee Reviews

Great Teachers
I am currently a student at CCNN. It has been a great school. Most of the instructors are amazing, and they love to see their students succeed. The staff in the front office is very friendly.
Pro Flexible on how you want to teach/Con- No one is happy there
It is a very hostile environment. Every employee there or just about every employee there complains about being there. However it does have its benefits that you get to teach your way. The owner president talks to everyone in a diminished way. They don’t stick up for their employees nor are they respectful towards them. There’s a lot of drama teachers come and go from there. I say this cause I wish I knew ahead of time.
Like all my work... relatively good at the beginning, and terrible at the end.
I have bad luck... I start out great friends, having fun and then the politics, egos, and ambition starts to creep in. By the end, everyone hates everyone else. Sorry... I don't have much luck with work. I think of work, like Belko. Is that horrible or what? I know... I'm trying to change that, but really, I think a lot of it is out of my control. Let me know if you figure out what's wrong with my situation.

However, I did gain skills there, and got a new viewpoint on life. Learned a ton of social skills, and was introduced to learning and being learned, by hard knocks IN school. (As well as learning from books) Overall, I'm a better person, but, boy it definitely cost.
Pros
Learned a ton of social skills, good general/abstract guidance, freedom of all kinds of information
Cons
Partially learning from hard knocks, difficult learning environment with micromanagement
Unhappy people with unstable positions make unhappy coworkers.
I was trained by a woman that had 3 weeks tenure. She felt very threatened by my position and was just hostile and rude. When I tried to be the bigger person and just do the job to my best ability by the person that trained me (and sabotaged me) I was told I was not a good fit.
The thing they don't tell you at this job... you are part of a sales team. To sell an outrageously expensive education that will be nothing more than a certificate in most instances. The pressure to sell for some is more than the ethical question of right and wrong.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No stability
Good heart; tough practically
A good group of well-meaning adult professionals who want the best for their students. The instructors are professionals from their fields, and they work hard for the students. The interesting thing about higher-education is that career-field professionals are not trained to be effective educators.

The administration is a small group who is overworked. The immediate supervisors who are connected to the instructors do the jobs of 3-4 people each, which means they don't initiate much contact with instructors. They are always open and receptive to instructors if approached by them. Yet there isn't much in the way of professional development or supervision. The college president never makes contact with the instructors. He is very focused on running the business side of the school (a task which seems very difficult indeed). It is challenging when the leader of the organization doesn't even know you.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Constant tension. Lack of employment security. Poor management. Huge turn over.
Huge turn over. Lack of job security. Edgy employees. Unfriendly and tense environment. Do not recommend working here. The owner has a cutthroat attitude.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Poor management.
Great employees, but that's all
The president and owner of the college once said in a meeting that the instructor turnover rate averaged 3 years, but that was a good thing. Suddenly job security and chance for good benefits and pay dissolved. The college also reduced benefits without explanation.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Lack of concern of employees and turnover
Not a good place to work
the culture was fine, management were not nice people and the president did not do anything for employees. would not recommend working at this place. My worst work experience
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Career College of Northern Nevada?
A very stressful position
I needed this job, but it was the most stressful teaching position I've ever had. Despite that, I did my best to be a positive influence in the classroom and on the job. I did my job every day with the best work I could give. The students succeeded in my classes, and the instructors got the support I could give them, so they could have a good experience in their jobs.
Pros
helping the students and instructors succeed
Cons
long hours, having to keep a positive attitude in a very stressful environment.
Hard but rewarding work at the end of the day
Mission-driven organization making a positive impact on the community on a massive scale in Reno/ Sparks
Amazing co-workers

Smart, competent leadership

Fantastic benefits (they have a matched IRA, Healthcare coverage, generous PTO Understanding management)

Human-centric workplace

Career opportunities; room for advancement if you want it
Pros
Feel good at the end of a work week
Cons
With so much to do breaks can be short
Great teachers
Classroom prep
Frustration has no place in the job

Managers that are untrained are usually micromanagers

Family and team

Break time with the students
Pros
Great people
Cons
poor management
Great School, Wonderful Students, Tough Workplace
Good pay, and lots of OT! I wouldn't say a bad word about the instructors or the classes. However, the work environment was tough. When I asked for help, I'd get eyerolls. I was often criticized and embarrassed in front of other employees AND STUDENTS. I'd work really hard, but only get more criticism. I also heard my supervisor speaking poorly about me in the hallway where others could hear her. I really liked a lot of my coworkers, sadly the environment was toxic.
Pros
Lots of overtime, good benefits, fun staff
Cons
Stressful, very high expectations
Started out a dream job/workplace. Turned into a nightmare.
The job mutated into something I would of never agreed to do. To much manipulation.
To much of the phone scheduler promising things on the phone to get people to come in, that you, as an Admission Rep, can't deliver in person. Then management would get mad when you couldn't convince the prospective student to trust you and want to stay for the consultation. They use extremely outdated "roleplay" training that isn't effective for everyone. In the end, I couldnt leave the building fast enough. It was nothing but pure relief to know I didn't have to come back the next day and deal with it all over again and stress about ridiculous enrollment quotas.
Pros
Great pay and nice coworkers
Cons
Unrealistic quotas, lots of manipulation, counter productive training methods, feeling like a sleazy used car salesman at the end of the day
Great School
Loved the hands on experience, the only thing better than a theoretical knowledge is a practical knowledge this school achieved both.
A good place to work and learn
During my time at CCNN, I was able to grow and learn a lot. There wasn't always a great work/home balance, but the college has really high expectations of everyone - employees, students, etc., which is actually a good thing. The benefits were decent and the pay was good. If I hadn't moved out of town, I would still be working there.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits, opportunity to grow
Cons
Many deadlines and tasks that fequently spill over into your "off" time
Strict requirements for staff with document control
To maintain industry connections, placement of students in externship and employment. Maintain records for state verifications and accreditation. Learned how to have programs approved by WIA for program and student funding. Management need to have many areas improved with the handling of confidential and professional records and creating a department to assure the handling of confidential was very difficult given the lack of management follow through in other departments. Most enjoyable part of the job was making industry contacts and networking with the professionals in the industry of all given seven programs. IT, Medical assisting, Pharmacy, Health information Technology, HVAC, Welding. This offer a great deal of diversity. Sorry Can not describe in 20 words.
Pros
bonus
Cons
Lack of organization
Great place to learn and friendly people to help you every step of your way.
I started my IT program about 16 months ago and after a few months of being there an opportunity came by where a position in the IT Dept. opened up. Every day is a new experience dealing with all sorts of problems My manager was great, was always willing to help me solve an issue. I was never made felt like i wasn't welcomed, this was a perfect place for me to develop my skills.
I really learned a lot at this college. They are very hands on and its great I had a great experience.
I learned how to perform CLIA tests, Draw blood/Spin it down, Do vitals, Code, Etc.
Everyone there was very supportive.
Fun work place fellow workers are supportive and always available to help
Productive fun workplace, rewarding to help students. Management Too quick to throw you into the fire and not enough time spend on training. Only training is to read a manual.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
Direction sometimes is lacking
Great College with many Opportunities
Great classes, as well as instructors, the staff is all very friendly, things are not ran biased. It's overall a very friendly atmosphere.
Fun environment
Environment is fun. Good programs and instructors with excellent students.
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling and teaching. Friendly staff