Career Systems Development Corporation Employee Reviews

2.4
Ratings breakdown
Intimidating and hostile environment
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAJune 4, 2018
Management is not concerned with anything except keeping their contract with the Department of Labor. Top leaders are threatening and hostile toward lower level management, and prefer not to be bothered with front-line employees.
Don't waste your time
Workforce (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 26, 2018
The management there is awful, no one wants to be held accountable for anything especially for the students. They said you would get a bonus and nothing yet. The job description states one thing and in actuality its not the role. Complete lies! Do not waste your time! Their standards are hypocritical to what they stand for such as integrity and accountability.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
To many to mention
Rewarding
Recreation Manager (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 21, 2018
Working for CSD is rewarding as you are actively helping young adults improve their quality of life. You are constantly surrounded by great people. I'm sure the location matters a lot for the little things but I'd highly recommend giving CSD in Bangor, ME a shot.
Terrible benefits, kids are great
Staff (Former Employee) –  MaineMay 5, 2018
The recruiters have no clue about what the jobs actually are. The benefits are awful. Staff are trying but with limited resources and strict guidelines coming down from corporate that change every week it's tough to make it happen.
Pros
Kids and some of the other staff
Cons
Benrfits, especially health insurance
Don't believe the negative hype
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 21, 2018
While this job isn't for everyone and certainly isn't perfect, I love working there. Most of the people who leave in a negative manner didn't want to accept that they had a poor attitude while there. If you have a positive attitude, can follow directions, are dependable, and want to help out disadvantaged youth, then you should give it a shot. I love working with the students and my coworkers.
Pros
Working with great students and staff
Great place to work with young people and make a difference!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 10, 2018
Fantastic place to settle in! The work is very rewarding, the students are fantastic! (I had always heard it was for bad kids, totally not the case, very strict 0 tolerance policies) The one in Bangor is very high ranked and I like the managers and my coworkers. They buy us gifts and lunch sometimes and we usually get a bonus :)
Pros
Treated really well!
Rewarding Career
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 10, 2018
Working here has been rewarding and each day I am empowered to make a difference in students lives. There is room for advancement and I feel very supported by my manager.
Excellent work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 9, 2018
I have been here for almost three years. The staff are very knowledgeable and professional. The benefits are great with sick and vacation time and 2 personal days a year. I highly recommend working for CSD in Bangor, it's the best career choice I have made.
Pros
8-5 M-f, committed staff in helping students
Cons
No more summer break
Plenty of opportunities to advance your career
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 14, 2018
Very good all around company to be employed. The work environment is pleasant because all staff work together to achieve the objective to assist young adults.
Pros
Reasonable salary and benefits
Cons
Long work days at times
look forward on working to assist the youth
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 12, 2018
Surprisingly many of the staff were fond of making sure we service the youth so they would obtain employment training and skills to obtain knowledge on sustaining a productive as well as prominent future.
Pros
$2 lunch, rewarding to help students find work or pursue their passion
Cons
management lack at times
Horrible place to work
Swing Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 3, 2018
The manager is horrible. She is uneducated, manipulative and a lier. There are a lot of cover ups by management and the company in general. The managers love blaming things on specific staff. I was bullied and targeted the whole time I worked there. HR tried to help and was blocked by the director. A manager is sleeping with employees. The students are not getting what they need and every effort to fix that is shut down. I cannot work for a company whose main goal is to violets people by taking pictures of them, asking me to compromise my values and targets and bullies staff on a regular basis.
Pros
The students
Cons
Everything else
A disappointment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJanuary 25, 2018
After working for almost a year, winning every award imaginable, I was declined a pay raise because the other person in my same position did not earn a raise too. Never in my career anywhere has raises been based on someone elses performance. There is no mobility in the company because they promote based on your time there, not your merit. Also, I was doing other peoples jobs that were getting paid way more than me. On top of being declined a raise, my insurance doubled. Many employees had to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.

The only good thing about the job was the impact I had on my students.
Pros
Students
Cons
pay, benefits, no upward mobility
Terrible place
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJanuary 25, 2018
I feel bad for the students there. Truly. The place is poorly run and everyone ends up pregnant or abused. Very sad state of affairs. If run differently they might be a good program.
Think Twice
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Cassadaga, NYJanuary 20, 2018
Looking for another job away from here. It is all about the numbers and funding so that the Director can buy another Jaguar. Hourly staff is underpaid and not ever expected to get raises regardless of the quality of work. The best part of the job is seeing students go after a dream and make positive changes in their lives.
Pros
It is beautiful
Cons
Understaffed, underpaid and constant turnover because of these and the treatment from management.
Nothing but trash at this center
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 12, 2018
The management at san diego job corps sucks no room for advancement or recognition for work well done. Better get along with HR or bye bye job if you are not one of the chosen few then you better watch your back at all times. Its not the kids you have to worry about its the staff.
Pros
Nun
Cons
Hr
Great students. Horrendous leadership
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2017
Job Corps students are normally coming onto our center with a lot of trauma, developmental/mental health issues, and having been kicked out of other schools in the past. With this in mind, you would imagine the school would promote a trauma-informed, strengths-based environment along with promoting self-care among employees.

Nothing can be further from the truth. Students are treated like children, even though staff preaches, "Act like adults!" All the teachers are beyond burned out. And leadership, from the top down, only cares about one thing: numbers. "Retention, Retention, Retention" is the mantra. Rather than, "How can we be most effective at providing services that will promote retention", they add rules and more punitive measures that only serve to terminate the students with the highest need.

Management is more concerned with keeping their jobs than taking care of their staff. Zero teamwork, zero comraderie, zero support. Those with progressive, evidence based ideas are viewed as disruptors of the status quo. Most managers have worked there for 10-30 years, so the old school "tough love" approach that has never been effective continues to be the norm here. The old, "These kids don't know any better so we gotta show em" mentality is strong. And it also applies to how leadership treats its employees.

In closing, the students here are truly uncanny and a true joy. I loved serving all of my students. I could not stand the micromanaging, focus on weaknesses rather than strengths, gossipy, cut throat culture. Applicants beware...
Pros
Students
Cons
Leadership, Management, Culture, did I mention Leadership?
Stay away at all costs
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Career Systems Development/Cassadaga Job CorpsSeptember 23, 2017
The Cassadaga location is run like a dictatorship with its leader ready to do nearly anything to save face and make them selves look noble. The overall mission of the company is not followed through what so ever making the students "the bread and butter" suffer. Most students are miserable due to management setting rules similar to prisons standards.

The Residential department speak as if the R/A's are peasants often degrading and having unrealistic expectations of Cleaning black mold of shower stalls block by block. If you have a complaint a gag order will be set in place.
Pros
Making a true impact on young minds
Cons
Cassadaga job corps and management
Blatant violations of EVERYTHING!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 19, 2017
Site in NYS management horrible... personalities...beneath poor. Attitudes poor. For a company allegedly servicing DOL....the labor practices are a far cry from legal.
Pros
Not employed by them
Cons
they are still in business
I have retired from the program
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 18, 2017
I enjoyed working with the students and helping them to become assertive independent individuals. What they were introduced to, did not give them all information.
Pros
Free room and board for students accepted in the program
Cons
Did not receive a raise within 6 years
Archaic procedures - Fear of technology and Change
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CASeptember 16, 2017
My trainer insisted I use a Rolladex to track contacts, type forms on typewriters, and manually sign and scan PO even though the ERP system is paperless. Corporate policies were only a recommendation, as each location can make their own procedures more stringent; thus an excuse not to use technology. Lots of tribal knowledge which is not shared. I worked with a prehistoric redheaded woodpecker. The constant pecking, made me resign within 2 months....
Pros
They have nice offices. Low pressure slacker environment
Cons
Archaic systems, insecure people, and fear of change.